PDA

View Full Version : GRINDING NOISE???!!!

burgessovsalford
31-01-03, 09:24 AM
When I put full lock on or turn a sharp corner, I can hear a grinding noise coming from the front left wheel... :o

Anyone know what is might be? bearings?

wisewood
31-01-03, 09:34 AM
It's not something as silly as your tyre rubbing against the shell is it?
you never know... depending what wheels you have on it this could happen.

burgessovsalford
31-01-03, 10:32 AM
No m8, defo not that as it has done it since i got the car 2 months ago(dint notice it when i bought it tho!!) & it had 14s on at the time.

Its like summit is grinding, but the noise does'nt happen when my wheels r straight, only when i put full lock on or turn sharp.

Dicko
31-01-03, 10:40 AM
cv joint

burgessovsalford
31-01-03, 10:53 AM
is it an easy enough job to do myself? & how much r CV joints usually?

Dicko
31-01-03, 11:58 AM
you would probably find if you got a new cv boot and new grease it would solve the problem. If not it might be easier to get a new driveshaft

ade
31-01-03, 01:13 PM
turn full lock with wheel facing outways and take a look at behind it (or take wheel off) - cv boot is a rubbery think that covers the cv joint right begine the wheel - you will see the drive shaft going into it and to the centre if the wheel.

Check the boot aint slipped off, split or missing.

While your there check for any chaffing marks like where the wheel could be buffing etc... just incase

Ade

Dicko
31-01-03, 01:18 PM
ye chaffing marks are never good :oops:

burgessovsalford
31-01-03, 03:27 PM
if not my wheel chaffing as its like a metal grinding noise... il check the cv boot out tonite when i finish work.

Evolution
31-01-03, 06:35 PM
My ex-corsa was on 15s and it would grind only when i went around right hand corners over 30mph, like roundabouts.
The garage couldnt solve the problem, they assumed it was the tyre chaffing. I replaced the boots but that solved nothing. Its pretty much pointless in me posting this because before i could get the problem sorted i wrote the car off, so i am still stumped as to what it could of been. However, shredding the front tyre and folding it under the car during the crash seemed to solve the problem....

ade
31-01-03, 10:13 PM
metal grinding noises are never good - could be the drive shaft rubbing on something - needs to be something thats in motion so I reckon its fouling on summut -

OH - check the brake shield - that may have bent back and be catching on summut (sits behind the brake disc)

Ade