PDA

View Full Version : C16xe running too rich

Southie
19-05-09, 07:32 PM
Well I've been driving the nova around for the past few weeks and it's running very rich. All the ecu, inlet, injection rails, coil pack well basically everything is standard Corsa Gsi. I have uprated sbd cams but I don't have adjustable verniers. My plugs are always petrol wet :(
Basically I was wondering as it has standard management what's my best tact to sort this. I could get a rolling road but I wouldn't have thought there would be much to adjust (remap maybe???).
Is maybe another way around it fitting a fpr?

Any help would be appreciated :)

AlexW
19-05-09, 07:34 PM
Does it have a lamba sensor fitted now?

Southie
19-05-09, 07:39 PM
Does it have a lamba sensor fitted now?
Yes fitted one this weekend. No more fault codes either.

AlexW
19-05-09, 07:43 PM
What are the symptions, was the engine warm when you checked the plugs?

Southie
19-05-09, 07:52 PM
What are the symptions, was the engine warm when you checked the plugs?
It hadn't been run over the weekend but had been running rich as it very fuelly from the exhaust. Yesterday morning I checked the plugs "before running it" and they were over fuelled and stank of fuel. It had started to fire on three at one point last week and then went again.

As daft as I may sound but could faulty plugs be at fault :( NGK ones?

valvercorsa
19-05-09, 07:56 PM
NGK are usually pretty good, carnt think what it could be cos ECU control's fueling

craig green
19-05-09, 08:02 PM
NGK's should be OK, though wet fouled now no doubt.

Get the rail pressure checked against standard pressure & perhaps check if the CTS & lambda are operating properly. Tech2 perhaps??

Is it a pig to keep running at idle etc?

Southie
19-05-09, 08:04 PM
NGK are usually pretty good, carnt think what it could be cos ECU control's fueling
This is why I was thinking I may need a remap on the standard ecu. There's been a fair bit of engine work done but all running standard management and injectors.

Getting a tad paranoid as I don't want to start getting bore wash. :(

AlexW
19-05-09, 08:07 PM
Mine dosnt ovefuel with a 1600 ecu with a superchip.

Southie
19-05-09, 08:13 PM
NGK's should be OK, though wet fouled now no doubt.

Get the rail pressure checked against standard pressure & perhaps check if the CTS & lambda are operating properly. Tech2 perhaps??

Is it a pig to keep running at idle etc?
Anything over 2'500rpm it runs pretty damn good but if it drops below then it terrible. I'd put it down to the cams though as they are high lift sbd 278 cams.

What's your thinking Craig?

Southie
19-05-09, 08:16 PM
Mine dosnt ovefuel with a 1600 ecu with a superchip.
mmm I was thinking about yours having this and that's what made me think it was incorrect setup to engine on mine.

General Baxter
19-05-09, 08:16 PM
Anything over 2'500rpm it runs pretty damn good but if it drops below then it terrible. I'd put it down to the cams though as they are high lift sbd 278 cams.

erm, i really hope you have had your pistons donelol

Southie
19-05-09, 08:19 PM
erm, i really hope you have had your pistons donelol
The pistons have been pocketed.

AlexW
19-05-09, 08:27 PM
I know you wont like what im going to say, but could you try standard cams in it? Or try some less-lift cams.

craig green
19-05-09, 08:30 PM
Are they high lift/long duration cams then? As opposed to fast road/mild cams....

Southie
19-05-09, 08:30 PM
I know you wont like what im going to say, but could you try standard cams in it? Or try some less-lift cams.
Could do if I had some lol I wouldn't have thought the cams wouldeffect the fuelling though, would they?

Sloth
19-05-09, 08:32 PM
yer, they can do. tho i do remember the early c16's suffering from bore wash due to incorrect ecu maps. they were re-flashed by vaux on warranty.

Southie
19-05-09, 08:35 PM
Are they high lift/long duration cams then? As opposed to fast road/mild cams....
High lift cams so terrible (from what I gather) for basic road use. I bought the engine 18months ago from a guy who was building a corsa for track use only. He had a manifold for it and omex management for twin 40's at the time, but I didn't buy them.

Southie
19-05-09, 08:37 PM
yer, they can do. tho i do remember the early c16's suffering from bore wash due to incorrect ecu maps. they were re-flashed by vaux on warranty.
Ah so possibly getting a remap could help then. All the ecu and loom and the rest of the gubbins came from the same car so I now they worked together originally.

Will F
19-05-09, 08:39 PM

What's your thinking Craig?

278???? Are you sure?

They will need at least 2mm pockets in the pistons... They wont be that profile dude.

If it doesnt blow black smoke it cant be THAT bad - I would put it down to an air or vac leak or sensor prob.

Southie
19-05-09, 08:46 PM
278???? Are you sure?

They will need at least 2mm pockets in the pistons... They wont be that profile dude.

If it doesnt blow black smoke it cant be THAT bad - I would put it down to an air or vac leak or sensor prob.
mmm well was told by the guy and have proof of the cams and the receipt of them he'd spent £1'100 on the engine build.

Could a crap seal to the inlet possibly cause symptoms for fuel smoking. I used new gaskets all round when building it back up but if it hadn't compressed correctly may it burn more fuel?

valvercorsa
19-05-09, 08:47 PM
Anything over 2'500rpm it runs pretty damn good but if it drops below then it terrible.

due to all fuel its getting lol

sounds like a ecu problem mate, or injectors been messed with

Southie
19-05-09, 08:52 PM
due to all fuel its getting lol

sounds like a ecu problem mate, or injectors been messed with
lol fuel bills running a tad high lol

Injectors are the standard ones which came from a standard corsa Gsi.

valvercorsa
19-05-09, 08:57 PM
well ive read somewhere when i was trying to fiind out info on them, that some people change them to 2.2 vectra ones and up fuel pressure. is this the first outtin ????

EDITED:
just re-ready page 1 lol

"been driving for a few weeks" lol

Southie
19-05-09, 09:02 PM
well ive read somewhere when i was trying to fiind out info on them, that some people change them to 2.2 vectra ones and up fuel pressure. is this the first outtin ????
It's now been on the road for two weeks. First time the engine has been used since the guy had it built. The car that all the standard ecu side of things came from was a bog standard gsi. Never been touched.

valvercorsa
19-05-09, 09:07 PM
am puzzled then mate anyone with tech2 near you?

General Baxter
19-05-09, 09:13 PM
theres going to be loads of fuel in there if you have only just fitted a lamb (bahhhh) change the plugs it will be fine

Southie
19-05-09, 09:13 PM
am puzzled then mate anyone with tech2 near you?
Explain tech2 for me please as this is my first injection setup. Vauxhall remapping???

Southie
19-05-09, 09:15 PM
theres going to be loads of fuel in there if you have only just fitted a lamb (bahhhh) change the plugs it will be fine
I suppose I can give it a go. Could have been fuel not burning from running with out the woolie jumper lol

AlexW
19-05-09, 09:32 PM
Go rag the nuts off it. Tech 2 is vauxhalls reader etc, does more than tell you the fault too.

General Baxter
19-05-09, 09:41 PM
Go rag the nuts off it.

i also vote for this lol

AlexW
19-05-09, 09:46 PM
Only up to 70Mph tho Not 110 like i did on a Private road.

valvercorsa
19-05-09, 09:52 PM
have you flashed the codes from ecu?????

AlexW
19-05-09, 09:55 PM
He said no fault codes So i presume there is no EML coming on.

Southie
19-05-09, 09:59 PM
Go rag the nuts off it. Tech 2 is vauxhalls reader etc, does more than tell you the fault too.
Thought so. I know a couple of guys who work at the local Vauxhall so I will get in touch with them then.

As for you and Baxter recommending the ragging of it erh I think your right but too much to loose you mentalist tut tut tut lol

General Baxter
19-05-09, 10:00 PM
mine had a miss fire after nats, it stopped after 105mph, lol

Southie
19-05-09, 10:01 PM
have you flashed the codes from ecu?????
No for once no eml light :) the last thing that had come up was the lambda sensor but that's now sorted.

Southie
19-05-09, 10:03 PM
mine had a miss fire after nats, it stopped after 105mph, lol
I remember you saying somewhere you had afm problems. Did you sort it then?

General Baxter
19-05-09, 10:05 PM
yep

AlexW
19-05-09, 10:05 PM
It was a lose wire. :D

Will F
20-05-09, 02:07 PM
If it does have those cams and pistons have been pocketed the standard ECU will be having small fits!

You cant fit those profile cams and standard management - I am surprised it runs at all!!

AlexW
20-05-09, 04:03 PM
I was thinking the same Will, as its running standard pullys the ECU would be thinking the cam is in a differance location or such like?

craig green
20-05-09, 04:07 PM
Plus the fact the pulses from the cam/valves will head back down the inlet & play avoc with what the AFM is reading.. Same as a 20XE suffers from.

Southie
20-05-09, 04:13 PM
Well this is why it's probably running sh1te then.

So I'm probably going to have to go down 1 of 2 routes then:

(a) Standard pistons & cams or (b) after market ecu and loom, verniers, throttlebodys or carbs.

AlexW
20-05-09, 04:14 PM
Could you not just try Standard cams for now, If the problem goes away your sorted.

Cant be hard to find a pair of cams.

Southie
20-05-09, 04:16 PM
I was thinking the same Will.

I'm sure you were. ;)

Go rag the nuts off it.

Southie
20-05-09, 04:17 PM
Could you not just try Standard cams for now, If the problem goes away your sorted.

Cant be hard to find a pair of cams.

Thing is the pistons will have to be standard. Yes/No?

craig green
20-05-09, 04:22 PM
No, slight drop in CR, but will be fine.

General Baxter
20-05-09, 04:42 PM
iv got DTA80 with loom for a c16xe if your intrested lol