PDA

View Full Version : trouble with earth?

jakeufton
19-05-09, 06:48 PM
i have a 1.2 nova 8v and i started noticing everytime i indicated or turned on full beam all the electrics went off! including the cd player. and when i turn it off and try to start it back up nothing... until about the 5th go and it will turn over... any ideas on whats going on? thanks

gaznovalet
19-05-09, 07:03 PM
hello and welcome to png, wen you say try to start it back up do you mean the car wont start? after your electrical dilema? you need to check all earths, see if alternator has given up and test battery. or cud possibly be dodgy wiring or a relay playing up if cd player been fitted cud possibly have bare wires in back touching or causing a short.

Rich
19-05-09, 07:23 PM
Check the earth strap from chassis leg to gearbox is not snapped and in good condition. Also check the alternator to engine strap

craig green
19-05-09, 08:29 PM
/\ what he says. They can look OK but be goosed, so give it a good tug to check its not actually made of copper dust. Go around any earths you can find on the car & make sure they are a clean bare-metal contact to the chassis. Sounds like the one behind the dash vents (mk2) could be at fault.

jakeufton
19-05-09, 08:58 PM
ma nova is a mk1 and thanks for the advice. does anyone know where the earth points are on a mk1 nova? and will there be any damage concived from continuing to drive it?

gaznovalet
19-05-09, 09:36 PM
you shud have 2 main earths one from negative side on battery to the bulkhead and one from the gaerbox to the chassis leg on passenger side. then check for other earths from lights and indicators.

jakeufton
20-05-09, 08:52 PM
thanks for all the info.... it was an earth strap.