PDA

View Full Version : 8V advice

bullseye
18-05-09, 06:12 PM
I intend to build a 1.4 8V race engine for the rally car, gave up with the 20XE idea, everyone I talk to says that for competition use the heavier 20 unbalances the car, so I have decided to stay in class 1 and build a 1400 8V full race motor.
My question is this.I would like to start with a 1400 SE as a base engine but want to use a distributer, so did vauxhall make any 1400 se engines with a distributer? if so any guidance on engine codes will be appreciated.

I have looked in the articles section but couldn't find any reference to this particular problem

garyc
18-05-09, 07:20 PM
what can you do in the rules? How big are your pockets?

tom reid
18-05-09, 07:42 PM
SR distributor will do

bullseye
18-05-09, 09:31 PM
what can you do in the rules? How big are your pockets?

Rules say class 1 = upto 1400cc, max 2 valves per cylinder no turbos or forced induction.
currently Got a 1.3SR running on twin 40's with a mild cam. rolling road says 88 BHP at the flywheel. built by previous owner so not sure what mods have been done, just intend to run it till either it drops or I finish building the 1400,
so want to start with a 1.4 SE and need to know if any came with distributers as standard or if one can be fitted to any 1400 SE

bullseye
18-05-09, 09:32 PM
SR distributor will do

Do you mean any SR dizzy will fit any 1400 SE?

novaguy08
18-05-09, 10:50 PM
the 14SE motor did have an electronic dizzy, on early SRi Nova's....... not seen one on a corsa but seen one on an astra tho.
If your going all race on the lump then pocket the pistons, lighten & balance the crank, lighten & balance flywheel, high spec cam, Direct induction kit (filter on the end of the tb) thats if you dont head down the ITB route, 4 branch manifold, solid lifters, head work, the options are really extencive tbh all depends on how deep your pockets are.

bullseye
19-05-09, 10:14 PM
Thanks,
Now I can start searching for the right lump as a base to start with,
Budget at the moment is probably enough to get close to what I want, have to start pricing things up, got some of the bits webbers, inlet & exhaust manifolds etc.

thanks for the help

steg1970
20-05-09, 07:54 AM
Had you considered buying a fully built motor? Eurorallye have one in now. I got a secondhand motor of them 6 years ago which is still running with no problems. Than cost me £700 inc carbs. Possibly worth a look.

http://www.eurorallye.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=8_9&products_id=1243

bullseye
20-05-09, 05:52 PM
Havn't considered buying ready built, quite like the idea of building my own as I enjoy playing, but thanks for the link will have a look