PDA

View Full Version : is nova ideal 1st car for 17yr old girl?

lisha
30-01-03, 12:35 PM
[I want to buy a vauxhall nova gte, is it ideal for my first car?
is the nova a boy racer car... is there many girls that drive them?
could anyone help me with these questions, thanx.

wisewood
30-01-03, 12:39 PM
Welcome to novaload.

GTE may be very expensive on insurance for you at 17, you may want to consider an SR instead for a year or two...

There are loads of people who do not like the nova because of its boy racer image, but we all love 'em... and most of us on here do not really fit the boy racer stereotype.

Plenty of girls drive nova's, but not too many use this site... one three or four regularly use the site... but yes you do see plenty of girls in nova's.

linzTDI
30-01-03, 12:41 PM
hi welcome to NL
i have a Nova 1.5 TD and i am 17. havent passed my test yet but the only thing that is wrong is the insurance!
it is going to cost my about ?1500 to insure my car. Get some quotes first.

MC
30-01-03, 12:42 PM
Mention 17 year old gils, and who's firts there?! :lol:

Economical, chap to insure, easy and cheap to fix, and quite fast. Spend time finding a good one though. Rust is the big problem, and will infest the rear arches.

MC

wisewood
30-01-03, 12:45 PM
Mention 17 year old gils, and who's first there?! :lol:

I was just passing through mate... never even read the title just saw the little orange tag beside it saying i hadn't read it... honest... no really.. stop laughing at me its true.

mikeoxford
30-01-03, 12:47 PM
u wont insure a GTE if your

A) a new driver
B) for a first car
C) no no claims bonus

sounds harsh but its the way it is im afraid

linzTDI
30-01-03, 12:48 PM
thats the point i was making mate, i would love a GSI but i know i couldnt insure one. i got a mint SRI for my 16th but dad selt it as i knew i wouldlnt be able to insure it

Ben (lurk75)
30-01-03, 12:51 PM
Welcome to Novaload.

As the others have said GTE's are expensove on the insurance until you have a bit of no claims.

That is one of the benifits of a nova is that there are lots of different models and they are easy to maintain and modify.

Try some insurance quotes with the 1.0l,1.2l and the 1.3sr models and see what they offer. The Nova is just as cheap to insure as other small cars such as Fiesta's and Corsa's.

Try companies like Adrian Flux, CIS and a few others in the back of modifeid car magazines. It is not worth trying Liverpool Victoria anymore, they used to be a Favorite with nova owners but in the last 18months they have suffered so very hefty claims from young drivers so they make it hard to get insurance with themsleves for young people.

Even if you dont end up with a nova carry on using the site as we are all nice people (with a few exceptions) and we could probably help you with whatever you get.

Ben (lurk75)
30-01-03, 12:55 PM
Just as an example my friend Bought a 1988 Nova SR with minor modifications and he hadnt done his pass plus or any other incentive shcemes and his insurance was only ?690 a year, he was 17 and it was his first car. This sounds a lot but you wont really get a lot less for any car.

Fester
30-01-03, 01:15 PM
yeah good cars to start off with, i'd go for an SR as well for your first car, the GTE is probably a touch too quick to start off in and would be hard to insure.

jatinder
30-01-03, 01:18 PM
yeah get a late sr if you can try and see if pass pluss will make a diffrence to your insurance my mate got ?500 knocked off his quote and try and go under ur own name as soon as possible not under your parents.

Tilly
30-01-03, 01:22 PM
u wont insure a GTE if your

A) a new driver
B) for a first car
C) no no claims bonus

sounds harsh but its the way it is im afraid

I have to say ur wrong there GTE was my first car at 18.5

Will
30-01-03, 01:30 PM
the point mike is making is it will cost lots of ?s and thats if the company will even quote you!

Tilly
30-01-03, 01:32 PM
so ?850 sounds lots does it ummmmm no

Ben (lurk75)
30-01-03, 01:43 PM
Most people get ripped right of by insurance companies, you only need a bit of common sense and you can save a fortune.

With my GSi i get quoted around ?2-4k but i dont take the policy you just ring around, in the end i think it cost about ?900 with points and claims and no no claims.

Ric 16v
30-01-03, 03:40 PM
I got a quote for my 1.2i sx under my own name but because I hadn't passed my test at the time they couldn't give me an exact quote but they thought it would be in the region of ?3000 :o :o :o :o :o NO JOKE I just burst out laughing I couldnt believe it but then I got a quote for around ?600 through cis and under my mams name, and I can say the gsi's are VERY fast, I drove my brothers last night and I couldn't believe the power of it :D :D :D :D I was racing every thing in sight and using his petrol of course :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
30-01-03, 06:30 PM
Dont mix your words Micky tell it straight!

A few years ago the goverment were going to limit new drivers to a certain size engine, i think this would be an excellent idea.

courtenaynova
30-01-03, 06:35 PM
Although a Nova SR 1.4 is group 7....It still cost me ?3000 for my 1st year (Its the area), then dropped to ?1500 a year later (Good alarm and immob :D ). Thing that bump up the cost is modding the bodywork and engine...as some will know :twisted:

If I was to start over again...I would have a 1.0 or 1.2 and build up my no-claims...and then get an SR...or GSi. Start with small engine..and build up to bigger engines as you get ur no-claims and get older.

:wink: :D :D :) :) :D :D :wink:

Rob.

CP
30-01-03, 06:36 PM
Buy a 1.0l or 1.2l for yur first car. Its a bitch but in the long run you will save yourself a lot of money and grief and get to that "nice car" we all dream of getting eventually quicker. With a smaller engine you save on insurance, road tax and keep yourself alive.
If you do decide to get one take someone who knows cars well like a mechanic with you to make sure you avoid the duds cos there are a fair few of them about. The main things to watch out for are rust and worn out engines.

Ben (lurk75)
30-01-03, 06:38 PM
Although a Nova SR 1.4 is group 7....It still cost me ?3000 for my 1st year (Its the area), then dropped to ?1500 a year later (Good alarm and immob :D ).

Rob.

You got robbed big stylee.

There are certain areas that are bad but they cant affect your insurance by ?2000. Plus why not just get 3rd party only as after all you wouldnt claim if it got knicked.

Chris LR
30-01-03, 07:58 PM
so ?850 sounds lots does it ummmmm no

Ummmmm yes, that more than my budget for a new car plus insurance deposit.

Fester
30-01-03, 09:05 PM
?850 isnt a lot for a GTE new driver with no claims, female or otherwise, mine is like ?930 with 2 years no claims, paying monthly so its working out at well over a grand. Got to balance it up though, its like the price of getting well wasted twice a month to insure it, so get wasted less and work a few hours longer instead

ade
31-01-03, 01:06 PM
Welcome to NL m8 - If a GTE/GSi is wot you want then get quotes 1st before buying car - I'tll be expensive on insurance but if you can afford it fine. I agree with the majority -0 get a smaller engined car till youre used to driving and save up for a minted version.

Insurance is actually different for girls than boys - for some reason girls get cheaper quotes than the lad (image of boy racer etc...)

It has a lot to do with where you live, security on car, location where car will be parked up at night, your job etc... as well as the model of car.

I agree with all those that say gte/gsi is too big for a beginner unless you have learnt to drive in it (or similar) and are familiar with its power. Theres an area inthe west of Scotland where most of the rangers footy team live, where some instructors teach you to drive in BMW's and Renault 5 GT Turbos coz thats what the rich kids daddy buys for him.her to begin with! Not that I've got owt against rich kids n that...

ade
:)

onephatnova
31-01-03, 10:01 PM
Try companies like Adrian Flux, CIS and a few others in the back of modifeid car magazines. It is not worth trying Liverpool Victoria anymore, they used to be a Favorite with nova owners but in the last 18months they have suffered so very hefty claims from young drivers so they make it hard to get insurance with themsleves for young people.

Don't ignore Liverpool Victoria... I just started with them and reduced my premium to ?600 fully comp on my 2L Nova 8V!! Last year year i was paying more than double that with Adrian Flux and even tho i have now got 2 years ncb, AF told me that my renewal quote would've been higher than last year. So i went with LV.

But its different with everyone, i suppose.

Euan
01-02-03, 04:53 PM
i couldnt get insurence for a gte anywhere i'm 18.

but on my 1.3 sr its only ?580

kingrob
01-02-03, 05:27 PM
Insurance takes the p**s im paying over ?1400 for 3rd party fire and theft on my 1.0L. Well dads paying :D thats with CIS going to Liverpool Victoria next time it'll be half that. U'll never get insured on gte for a first car as everyone has said, probably best if u learn to drive properly in a slower car, like 1.0 or 1.2 first. U'll prob just crash a gte if u've just passed ur test.

Ben (lurk75)
02-02-03, 06:25 PM
Don't ignore Liverpool Victoria... I just started with them and reduced my premium to ?600 fully comp on my 2L Nova 8V!! Last year year i was paying more than double that with Adrian Flux and even tho i have now got 2 years ncb, AF told me that my renewal quote would've been higher than last year. So i went with LV.

But its different with everyone, i suppose.

As you say it is different for everyone, but i did ask a friend of mine who is a chief underwriter for them and he explained, you are obviously quite a low risk as you have 2 years NCB. They wouldnt even quote me on a Vectra GSi but Flux only wanted ?700:!:

Everyone i know raves on about tesco but they wanted nearly ?2k for my Nova and i got it for about ?900. there all free phone numbers so call them all, i enjoy getting quotes as the people on the other end always say " are you sitting down" then i reply "oh thats not that bad" :lol:

Wiggie
05-02-03, 10:26 PM
Mind you, you girls are lucky! try comparing a quote for a bloke to a girls on the same car! CRAZY! couple of me m8s did it, talking hundreds of diference. but then again insurance companies make it up as they go along!

Ste_Nova
06-02-03, 09:42 AM
my nova 16v is ?267 fully comp
my 1.2i was ?600 fully comp when i was 17

wisewood
06-02-03, 09:53 AM
Yeah but ste - aren't you over 25??
and live in the middle of nowhere somewhere? :lol:

thats what i thought anyway.

Ben (lurk75)
06-02-03, 04:38 PM
combine harves*er land :lol: :lol:

wisewood
06-02-03, 04:40 PM
Ben you still not got a new keyboard yet - come on man.. make our lives a little easier will ya... :lol:

It's like some poorly constructed secret code.

Ben (lurk75)
06-02-03, 04:43 PM
i forgo* i*.

am off 2 belgium 2moorow an*how so can* be assed now!

:lol: :lol:

wisewood
06-02-03, 04:45 PM
lmfao - how long you in Belgium for mate?

Ben (lurk75)
06-02-03, 04:58 PM
un*il *uesda* :!:

:lol:

wisewood
06-02-03, 05:00 PM
Not the mammoth three month trip like last time then :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
06-02-03, 05:01 PM
nah bu* back 2 Prauge again in March!

mu ha ha ha :lol: :lol: :lol: