PDA

View Full Version : wide track nova...?

skidmarkz
17-05-09, 09:46 AM
Ok i have chatted to a few different folks and been told loads of different things. I know there is a few here who have indeed been and done a wide track nova. Can you give me you honest opinions on options and why you would or wouldnt do it ?

1) Using the standard running gear and getting a wheel made in a certain offset to push the wheel out to fill the arch,

2) Get a complete widetrack kit made, stick with normal offset wheels

3) Burgo/Count make ya own :) - this isnt really an option as my fabrication skills are far far away from theirs lol

cheers J

let_nova
17-05-09, 10:01 AM
all depends on the budget to hand. if there is a full kit available and the cash available that would be the easiest option as you may not have the skills. if funds are a problem then large offset it is.

skidmarkz
17-05-09, 11:38 AM
all depends on the budget to hand. if there is a full kit available and the cash available that would be the easiest option as you may not have the skills. if funds are a problem then large offset it is.

the bodywork is done, the price offset between new wide track setups + new wheels, or just new wheels in a mad offset is massive.

i suppose the implications of incorrect offset would be extreme ware on bearings? any imfortive help would be great :)

sr jack
17-05-09, 11:49 AM
put the wheels on backwards lol lol lol

AlexW
17-05-09, 11:50 AM
Wont silly offset cause rubbish handling?

Lee
17-05-09, 12:13 PM
Its all speculation tbh. On Dans car we went the offset way first, and really the proof is going to be in the pudding, so watch this space I suppose lol

Count Vaux Alot
17-05-09, 12:17 PM
The way i see it (and as you have probably thought about already) is that there are advantages and disadvantages what ever way you choose as so

Wide track kits are expensive to buy - but they are the best way imo to achieve the width (and there reason i made my own to beat the costs) rally teams wouldn't have used them if they didn't do the job well. You can use 6-7 inch wide wheels with 195's on them.

Wide/low offset wheels will fill your arches but may cause premature bearing failure and/or w@nk handling (only time will tell with dans car as lee has just mentioned) the wheels might be cheaper than the wide track kit but may be hard to come buy if the ones you want are available at all, plus there is the expense of wide tyres esp track day ones to think of.

Then there is spacers these are cheap but again there is wheels bearing stress etc to consider.

So its just a case of where you want the compromise to be really - money spent on different things some more reliable than others.

mikey14sr
17-05-09, 06:32 PM
Back-end's a simple case of getting some spacers made up to fit between the stub axle and the beam, with longer bolts.

skidmarkz
19-05-09, 08:14 PM
Back-end's a simple case of getting some spacers made up to fit between the stub axle and the beam, with longer bolts.

indeed, but it will look silly with a wide rear and skinny front

George g
20-05-09, 08:07 AM
indeed, but it will look silly with a wide rear and skinny front

just tell everyone its a RWD drag car! :thumb: lol

Dan
20-05-09, 09:21 AM
Just two pointers on this.....

Each option costs about the same in the long run, by the time you have costed a wide track kit the wheel and tyre combo wont be far off as they arent common second hand units. Wide tracking a car doesnt mean new wheels, thats just a perk if the budget allows

Running a lower offset can be partially counteracted by choosing a better rim width and tyre option (this also comes into the offset equation). This was easy for me as its track based only and tyre sizes are different for motorsport applicated tyres. Effectively the inner face of the tyre (nearest the strut) is still in the same place as the standard one, i have just widened the outside edge by 50mm so only when balls out in the corner is the extra loading applied to other components. but still not as much as a spacer loaded car by a long shot

As lee said it is still to be seen over a few trackdays what the effects are but initial checks are fine for now, and its a track only car to be used as and when. Any issues for me personally dont exist as i dont depend on the car on an everyday basis, its just a toy.

Now, having said all that (awaits the boo's and hiss's) until i have driven the car in anger and set it up/assessed the merits of my choices, the wheel settings are to remain close to my chest, purely based on the fact if it isnt as i hope, it would be deemed as false information which is unfair if someone had bitten the bullet just on my guess work only to find the same and be alot of money out of pocket

skidmarkz
20-05-09, 09:44 AM
i understand your points :) and appriciate your input, im in the same boat my nova is my toy, so like you its trial and error :)

dhdev (Oli)
20-05-09, 10:08 AM
I run 25mm hubcentric spacers on the front of mine, no wheel bearing death yet, only downside to the handling that I've noticed is a bit more tramlining :confused:

skidmarkz
20-05-09, 10:12 AM
I run 25mm hubcentric spacers on the front of mine, no wheel bearing death yet, only downside to the handling that I've noticed is a bit more tramlining :confused:

Snap, i been testing these and they tramline like a mofo!

dhdev (Oli)
20-05-09, 10:13 AM
Snap, i been testing these and they tramline like a mofo!

Sounds like you need to get to the gym :p

skidmarkz
20-05-09, 10:32 AM
Sounds like you need to get to the gym :p

oi! lol :eek:

Lee
20-05-09, 04:55 PM

No risk to bearings when running teeny engines Mr D lol

skidmarkz
20-05-09, 05:20 PM
lol - even if the teeny engine does have 190+ bhp, its still a lightweight :P

Count Vaux Alot
20-05-09, 05:58 PM
Don't you have to use your nova to wear the wheel bearings out Oli lol

dhdev (Oli)
20-05-09, 07:49 PM
Harsh, but true. :cry::cry::cry: