PDA

View Full Version : having probz ....

JordyzNova
16-05-09, 11:12 AM
i plugged my clocks in and they wer fine but now the fuel gauge wont work properly it goes over max full majorly like past oit by a quater wen there ius on about quater of tanl of fuel in .... eny sejestions

novaguy08
16-05-09, 11:43 AM
:english: is a good start lmao

Have you just put SR/GSI clocks in a pov spec one??
If you have then there is something odd as i did this and had a look and there is nothing wrong with it, it came back down after a few days but it was never right after that, run out of petrol a couple times as it was screwy! this seems to be a recurring problem...... im thinking that the senders are different, but ive not had much luck finding out whats wrong.

JordyzNova
16-05-09, 11:48 AM
i had standerd clocks in took them out an put the new ones in and they were working fine , hen i notcied my fuel gauge was of the max line ..... is it broken clocks

i plug my standerd clocks back in and the fuel gauge was right ?

AlexW
16-05-09, 11:53 AM
Stop making so many new threads FFS.

The senders are the same. Its just somthing that happens, only my SRI fuel gauge worked (same as gsi but ofc its different slighty).

So eather live with povo spec ones or make sure you know how much fuel is in.

Or apparently SOME gsi clocks will work, but SRI ones are a safe bet.

novaguy08
16-05-09, 11:58 AM
yeah same problem with mine when i swapped out the pov spec clocks......... no idea what was wrong with it, i did manage to get it to work by running a small peice of wire from the top pin on the fuel gauge to the top pin on the temp gauge but then it threw the temp gauge out by a 1/4..... it started off looking like i had earthed the fuel gauge on something but after having it in and out more times then you can shake a stick at i just give up and kept putting a a fiver in eevryonceinawhile and carrying about a gerry can with me whereever i went.
Its possible that the fuel guage is knackered its not a difficult job to change, but if your going to get one, get it from vauxhall, not a breakers yard! make sure its returnable though as if its not the guage you will wanna take it back as they aint cheap!!

AlexW
16-05-09, 12:22 PM
Can vaux get them then? What sort of price we talking?

bmw156
16-05-09, 12:25 PM
have a set of SRI clocks here, not sure if the fuel guage works, but check my for sale thread if your interested

novaguy08
16-05-09, 02:07 PM
no idea how much they are tbh, but give your local vauxhall dealer a call and they will tell you easily, but be prepared, keep an extra pair of underware next to you...... the front cover for these pods.......... £40!!

gazsnova
16-05-09, 10:27 PM
the problem lies within the clocks- theres a resistor in them that changes the voltage sent by the sender, which allows the gauge to reach max fuel through to min fuel in accordance with the tank sender.

or something along them lines.

can be replaced as i suspect that the gsi clocks or other spec clocks have a different resistor in them.

novaguy08
17-05-09, 10:41 AM
FINIALLY
Is there a how to on this by any chance??

JordyzNova
17-05-09, 10:42 AM
is that it .....

http://i41.tinypic.com/1ifmol.jpg

novaguy08
17-05-09, 10:45 AM
no thats a diode iirc
The resistor is on the gauge itself...... take the front cover off & remove the 8 nuts holding the fuel gauge and water temp gauge on (you need to remove both if there is a fuel light) but watch out they are slippery little buggers and not easy to find once you drop them!! however thats as far as i can go im afraid, i dont know which resistor is being mentioned at the moment

AlexW
17-05-09, 11:06 AM
That little thing in the pic is the fuel light, i changed it and the fuel light came on at half way lol

If i remember il pull a gauge apart later, then see if theres anything of intrest.

novaguy08
17-05-09, 11:14 AM
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P190409_1452-2.jpg

what about these??i played about with these on my many times i pulled mine apart seemed to make a difference but not enough of one.

JordyzNova
17-05-09, 11:17 AM
ok the seems like a comman fault by the sound of it let me know what happens :thumb:

Nobby
17-05-09, 12:56 PM
so does anyone actually know where the fault lies??

AlexW
17-05-09, 12:59 PM
Not really lol

novaguy08
17-05-09, 01:12 PM
tbh no not really, been trying to figure out where the problem is and nuffin! lmao what i dont get if the senders are the same then why do the gauges run off of a different resistance?? then again why would there be differences between GSI, SRi & SR ones?

AlexW
17-05-09, 01:22 PM
No idea lol. Digi dashs work fine too. But then this leads me to belive dodgy fuel gauge. But theres lots of ifs and buts about that too lol

novaguy08
17-05-09, 01:35 PM
i know like me trying 3 differnt gauges and ending up with VERY similar results!!
I mean i cant have 3 different & knackered gauges tbh!!

JordyzNova
17-05-09, 06:16 PM
its got to be something to with resistors of something ....

Annie
17-05-09, 06:29 PM
I removed the resistor from my old petrol gauge & soldered it to my new gauge not spot on but near enough works now.

Nobby
17-05-09, 10:51 PM
I removed the resistor from my old petrol gauge & soldered it to my new gauge not spot on but near enough works now.

could you explain abit more mate?

novaguy08
17-05-09, 11:02 PM
indeed, more info needed please! also pictures if you have them!!