PDA

View Full Version : ARP bolts

ste porter
15-05-09, 10:33 PM
are normal arp bolts ok for steel rods in 300bhp+ let or do i have to use arp 2000?

craig green
15-05-09, 10:47 PM
I think '2000' is a newer spec of ARP. Are the bolts you have suitable for rods? If they are then the stress or load is no different regadless of rod. Just check the caps don't need countersinking under the bolt head otherwise you risk a stress raiser on the bolt & help it fail. Std GM, XE/LET rods need it.

ste porter
15-05-09, 11:04 PM
i have a set of arp 2000 at the min but i am changing the big ends at the min due to a cheap oil pump shattering. problem is i brought some second hand very low milage steel rods that came with the bolts fitted and i have torqued them up twice prior to running the engine the engine has done about 400 mile and now i have taken them out again so that will be the third use sinse i have had them god knows how many times they have been used before and i just dont know wheather i would trust them again.
i have no way of measuring them acuratly so i was going to buy some new ones for piece of mind.
all mine say on them is ARP 2000 -11
so would regular arp bolts be ok to use in steel h-beam rods or do they need to be the same as what i have because there is 35 quid difference and there is alot of moneys worth of engine if i get it wrong

djbrowney
15-05-09, 11:06 PM
there torerance on the arp bolts, how much they had streched as to weather to use them again, im unsure were to find the lenghts though lol

gaznovalet
15-05-09, 11:07 PM
just rebuilt my let engine and used normal ARP bolts and steel headgasket to run with evo 5 chips but i didnt use steel rods but it shud run at over 300 bhp

ste porter
15-05-09, 11:10 PM
i know about the length of stretch if they have stretched over 0.001 of an inch then you should bin them but this is what im saying i have no way of posably measuring them that acuratly (sp)

Southie
15-05-09, 11:14 PM
Sorry to hijack Ste. What are ARP bolts made of? I know a guy who owns his own nut and bolt company and they do all the machining inhouse. Just thought it might be worth me getting hold of a set and see if he can get them cheaper ;)

ste porter
15-05-09, 11:21 PM
http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Catalog.PDF/ARPCatalog_0029.pdf

theres abit more to them than just bolts mate

Southie
15-05-09, 11:36 PM
I was mainly thinking of the bottom end bolt like I had on my sr. I'm thinking they are a high tenstile bolt which is made for extreme pressure. I might get hold of a set and take them too him and see what he says.

You looking after my old engine ;)

ste porter
15-05-09, 11:40 PM
yeah im looking after it mate shame the turbo is still sucking every penny out of me or i would have had them carbs by now