PDA

View Full Version : *HOW TO* Log engine change with DVLA

Jack
15-05-09, 01:41 PM
Overview
Most of you will use this to update your engine size after an engine change to your Nova, so this guide is primarily written for that. However, most of it still applies for making other changes to your vehicle details.

This is the official way update your vehicle records. Some of you may have done things differently, if so feel free to post your sucesses/fails, but please do not argue the toss with the data given here. This is how DVLA tell you to do it.

You will need:
1. V5C certificate
2. Engine number. This will be stamped on the block somewhere (note, "number" NOT "code". C20XE is NOT an engine number!)
3. Evidence of the change. Forms of evidence are detailed below.

You may also need a stamp, envelope and covering letter. And money if the tax band has changed!

Note Some people get away without providing evidence of the engine change. As this guide follows the official procedure, I have included it. I would recommend it, as not only does it cover your back if the DVLA do request it, but it also backs up the safety of the car - this can also come in useful for future resale, and insurance proof.

Method
Step 1. Record Engine Number
Before undetaking the engine change, make a note of the engine number (location will vary depending on engine, but its usually stamped on the block, near the gearbox). Its much easier to find it before you put the engine IN the car!

Step 2. Get Evidence
Once the engine change has been completed and tested, you'll need to get evidence of the work carried out. This can be in one of a number of formats, but at minimum MUST contain the engine number and capacity (cc). Ideally, for extra DVLA kudos, the evidence should also state that the work has been undertaken to a level that satisfies vehicle safety standards.

The forms of evidence that the DVLA will accept are:

a) Receipt for the replacement engine.
This would come from the garage or parts shop that supplied and fitted the engine.

b) Written evidence from the manufacturer.
This would be a letter from Vauxhall stating they have inspected the car and can confirm the change.

c) An inspection report provided for insurance purposes.
This would be an independent physical vehicle check undertaken by a recogniesd motoring body (e.g. AA or RAC vehicle check).

d) Written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle.
This also covers the DIY jobs; a local garage will confirm the engine swap has been undertaken and is of a safe standard. You may also like to bundle this in with an MOT, if its due, as a pass will prove the car is roadworthy.

Note: if the change was done prior to you purchasing the car, and the V5C has not been updated, you may still be asked to provide evidence.

Step 3. Update the V5C.
Complete Section 7, Changes to Current Vehicle of the V5C with the new details, which at minimum must be engine number (28) and cylinder capacity (cc, 24). Sign and date the old keeper box in Section 8, Declaration.

Step 4. Inform the DVLA.
This is where things start to differ depending on what engine you have fitted.

a) If the Vehicle taxation class has NOT changed (i.e. engine size has NOT crossed the 1549cc threshold), write a brief covering letter to the DVLA explaining the change, attach the V5, evidence, put in an envelope and send to:

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA

b) If the vehicle taxation class HAS changed (i.e. the engine size HAS crossed the 1549cc threshold), you will need to apply to retax the vehicle at your local DVLA office. Click here (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/MotoringContacts/DG_10012974) to find your local office. Whilst you can post the information to them, I would recommend visiting in person as you won't lose your documents in the post (or DVLA system), you can explain better in person, and you can tax the car there and then over the counter at the DVLA office. Note that if your car already has tax on it, you can either cancel the tax (and have a refund of the oustanding amount) and start a fresh 6/12 month duty period, OR simply pay the difference and continue with your existing duty period (you'll still be issued a new tax disc, but it will expire the same time as your existing one). The DVLA staff will let you know which you can do, and how much it would cost.

Step 5. Insurance
If you have an existing insurance policy, don't forget to inform them of the engine change. They may, or may not, require evidence of the change (in which case, you can use the same evidence required by the DVLA)

armour88
15-05-09, 05:54 PM
:)

armour88
15-05-09, 05:55 PM
just changed my details today

1. went to local dvla office
2. handed v5 with section 7 filled out with new cc and engine no.
3. sign the registered keepers box
4. gave them insurance and mot
5. received new tax disc

as easy as that!

you only require engineers report if you going down a size or your insurance ask for one.

Jack
18-05-09, 06:11 PM
Right, just been to the local DVLA office. They asked for proof of the engine swap - thats twice I've swapped an engine and twice I've been asked for evidence. As said, the official procedure is for evidence to be provided, whether or not they actually follow that procedure and ask you for any is another matter.

you only require engineers report if you going down a size or your insurance ask for one.
Nope, you require one for going either way, as per detail on Directgov/motoring. As said, whether or not they ask for one is the mystery factor lol

Incidentally, Exeter office has some nice young ladies working in there lol

Benn
18-05-09, 07:32 PM
I've never been asked for any proof...

hc coupe
03-06-09, 09:16 AM
Do you send off the whole V5 form or are you ment to just send the left hand side (which has all the changes)?

Jack
03-06-09, 11:31 AM
Might as well send the whole thing - you'll have no use for the sections on the right. And the DVLA will send back a complete new V5 anyway.

hc coupe
03-06-09, 01:08 PM
Yeah I decided to photo copy it and then send it all off. (Nice to have a copy incase they lose it)

Thank you very much

Riggy
03-06-09, 03:21 PM
yeah to just add to this , i have updated engine size twice now , from 1.0 to 1.6 , they just did it there and then in local office and sold me a new disc , then from 1.6 to 2.0 this the wanted a official letter from vauxhall , this was a bitch to get as no one would do it as they hadnt fitted engine , i eventually found a decent manager who did it for £20 :thumb:

so its just hit and miss i think

Asa-James
03-06-09, 10:28 PM
i'm swapping the engine in my nova within the next week, its already insured with the new engine (insurance understand it hasnt yet been done, but saves on paperwork) and i need to tax it tomorrow. should i just tax as it states on logbook as a 1.2 and re-apply when the new logbook comes back, or tax as the 1.3 its going to be?

MK999
03-06-09, 10:44 PM
tax is the same, only changes above 1550cc

Asa-James
03-06-09, 11:23 PM
i thought it stated on thr disc what engine was in? or am i just talking stupid again...

MK999
03-06-09, 11:24 PM
i thought it stated on thr disc what engine was in? or am i just talking stupid again...

Just the tax class afaik? I'd check but I don't have one atm lol

Jack
05-06-09, 12:03 PM
Tax disc only states the tax class (i.e. how much you paid).

All you need to do is update your V5 (DVLA may still ask for evidence remember); the tax will remain valid so no worries there.

hc coupe
09-06-09, 03:27 PM
Once the updated V5 has been sent off do you have to wait for the new corrected one to return before you can get a valid TAX disc ?

I sent my one off about a week ago , but heard the turn around time can vary for 1-7+ weeks.

I have tried google but it doesn't really find much :(

Thank you

Tom

sparkie1401
10-06-09, 09:15 PM
i just filled the relevent section in as i had diff colour, address and engine size

it came back but still as a 1200cc, with in a few days i got a letter saying i needed proof of fitting the engine, AA/RAC report, reciept from where i got it with documentation of engine size and fuel or finally proof from dealer

i rang my dealer explained everything, later that day i fetched a small headed letter saying engine no. blah blah blah from astra GTE reg no. petrol etcetc sent it off with my V5 and now its all legal

was free to, noquestions no probs

Jack
15-06-09, 09:55 AM
Once the updated V5 has been sent off do you have to wait for the new corrected one to return before you can get a valid TAX disc ?

I sent my one off about a week ago , but heard the turn around time can vary for 1-7+ weeks.

I have tried google but it doesn't really find much :(

Thank you

Tom
If the car currently has valid tax and you're changing across the 1549cc tax point, you'll need to update the V5 at the local office. As part of this, they will issue you a new tax disc.

If you have a reminder letter with the correct tax band on it, you can simply use this (+ insurance + MOT certs), no V5 is required.

If the vehicle is SORN, you'll need to fill out a form (V10 or V11, can't remember which it is off the top of my head) to apply for a new tax disc. You WILL need the V5 for this, I would recommend waiting for the updated one so as to avoid confusion.

You could probably do it all online though with no hassle. However, I can forsee one problem with this... say, for example, you've got 1.2 and you've put a 2.0 in. If DVLA haven't updated their records yet, you'll tax it online as a 1.2, then when the DVLA do the update your tax will be automatically cancelled (which could be the day after you do the tax online). You'll have your tax disc and think all is good, but by the time the DVLA write to you saying you need to retax your vehicle, thats a good few days you could go with no valid tax.

Does that make sense?

hc coupe
15-06-09, 01:54 PM
Cheers,

I'll have to sit tight until it arrives then,

Thank you

djbrowney
15-06-09, 07:14 PM
Right, just been to the local DVLA office. They asked for proof of the engine swap - thats twice I've swapped an engine and twice I've been asked for evidence. As said, the official procedure is for evidence to be provided, whether or not they actually follow that procedure and ask you for any is another matter.

Nope, you require one for going either way, as per detail on Directgov/motoring. As said, whether or not they ask for one is the mystery factor lol

Incidentally, Exeter office has some nice young ladies working in there lol

They do a random check of 16 people in a 1000 of engine increase, dont ask why it thats number because i dont no lol

hc coupe
23-06-09, 05:04 PM
So I got my V5 back today.... And it still hasn't been updated. I went off to Vauxhall and after being relieved of my lunch money I now have "conformation".

From my experience, just get the car checked out. I've now wasted well into 3 weeks because I held off doing a 1-hour job and now have to wait it all out again!

Tom

projctnova
23-06-09, 08:44 PM
oh i have all this fun to come! cheers for the info

let_nova
03-09-09, 07:59 PM
how much of a cokc **** is if to down size??

Jack
04-09-09, 08:26 AM
Same as going up. They tend to look at them more closely though, especially if you're dropping a tax bracket.

xe_nova9
20-09-09, 10:46 PM
I've filled out the v5 with the new engine number and cc. As for taxing the car I'm going to the Dvla office as its going to be a new tax band, can i get the paperwork sorted there and then to tax the car as a 2 litre? Ive already sorted insurance just got to ring them and activate it. So if i go and tax the car at the tax office can I then drive it whilst i'm waiting for the logbook? Hope that makes sense. I've got a headed letter from a garage saying its done to a good standard etc etc and will take the valid MOT cert.

The car will have insurance as 2.0, mot tax etc etc

Help much appreciated as I don't want to be waiting on the logbook :thumb:

fennah
20-09-09, 11:09 PM
all i ever id was fill in the blue setion of the v5 with the new engine cc and engine number and couple of weeks later new v5 comes through the post with 1998 cc and the new engine number , car was on a sorn when i did it and when the reminders come through all the tax is at the higher rate with it stating 1998 cc , i went from a 1.2 to a c20let an had no problems and no written evidence needed, no problems when i taxed the car either

Jack
21-09-09, 08:36 AM
I've filled out the v5 with the new engine number and cc. As for taxing the car I'm going to the Dvla office as its going to be a new tax band, can i get the paperwork sorted there and then to tax the car as a 2 litre? Ive already sorted insurance just got to ring them and activate it. So if i go and tax the car at the tax office can I then drive it whilst i'm waiting for the logbook? Hope that makes sense. I've got a headed letter from a garage saying its done to a good standard etc etc and will take the valid MOT cert.

The car will have insurance as 2.0, mot tax etc etc

Help much appreciated as I don't want to be waiting on the logbook :thumb:
Officially, yes, thats correct. The DVLA website says if you're retaxing to a new tax band you need to go there and do it in person (as per the post above though, if the car is SORN you can just wait til the SORN expires and retax it at the new rate).

You don't need to wait for the logbook to drive it. I drove mine as soon as I'd updated the details at the local DVLA shop; tax + MOT + insurance were all in order so as far as I was concerned it was all above board.

[edit] one point to note, you will of course need the insurance cert to get the tax at the DVLA office. So you'll need to activate your insurance and get that side of things sorted first.

ollied
26-11-09, 02:11 AM
So am i right in thinking that its likely to be less hassle to update it if the tax bracket isnt changing?

As im went from 1590cc iirc to 2960cc so its not jumped a bracket or anything like that

Just want to get it sorted so its legal.

Jack
26-11-09, 11:15 AM
Yes, because you won't need to retax the vehicle :)

DVLA should still ask for evidence of the change, so its worth getting that (even if they don't, your insurance may want it).

What engine are you going for thats 2960cc? If its a GM 3.0V6, thats 2962cc

Mazz
26-11-09, 03:01 PM
RJ, what happens if you can't read the engine number?

Jack
26-11-09, 04:43 PM
Good question. I'm sure the DVLA would need the engine number... hmm. Maybe have another one stamped on it? lol

Mazz
26-11-09, 04:51 PM
Might be worth my friend acquiring a dead engine number then..

ollied
27-11-09, 05:56 AM
Yes, because you won't need to retax the vehicle :)

DVLA should still ask for evidence of the change, so its worth getting that (even if they don't, your insurance may want it).

What engine are you going for thats 2960cc? If its a GM 3.0V6, thats 2962cc

OH lol i was going via the wikipedia page, says its 2960cc, its my van has already been changed and im looking to get it all sorted, didnt really think about it till i read this

Balley
17-01-10, 08:50 PM
I want to change my engine on the v5 before i get it on the road, its registered as a 1.2 but it has a C14se in it, problem i have is I can't get insurance on a Corsa SRi (which the engine is out)
Weird I think because I had a Corsa Gls si and the insurance was dead cheap yet its the same engine etc

Could I say the engine was out a corsa Gls, would i need to go to a scrap yard and find one to get the engine number and reg etc???
And is this legal??

blue_peg_16v
03-02-10, 09:20 PM
yes its illegal would be insurance fraud

Logical Improvement
03-02-10, 10:59 PM
Has it changed since I was young. I've always just filled in the V5 and sent it off.

auzzy-b
07-04-10, 08:57 PM
im about to fill my XE changes to the v5 now, engine number, fuel type & Cc all done! but waht about the 'New revenue weight' (number 22 of section 7)? is this just left blank..

let_nova
07-04-10, 08:58 PM
iirc yes

Jack
07-04-10, 11:36 PM
Yeah, weight isn't required data.

auzzy-b
08-04-10, 08:33 AM
Good good, all sorted just gotta get to the dvla when i get chance now!

DAFTJOHN
31-01-13, 04:30 PM
Going to do this Monday as the last attempt via post failed. The DVLA said that I needed to re tax before they could change the V5....pretty difficult to tax as its still in bits not mot'd.

Hope I've bette luck going into the office

Andy
31-01-13, 04:34 PM
John you will,the swansea hq is a s much use as a used condom.
Thankfully the local offices have a few braincells.
Be quick as theyre starting to shut them soon

Vauxhall_Redtop
24-05-13, 01:54 PM
I shouldn't have much bother caching my nova from 2.0 Xe to a 1.6 because its still in the same tax bracket?

So just a case of engine number,cc and coverin letter?

mowgli
24-05-13, 05:20 PM
pretty much

Vauxhall_Redtop
24-05-13, 08:09 PM
pretty much

I'm a bit worried about the reciept. I haven't bought the engine of a business or garage but from a Good friend. Will a reciept from him do?

TWAG
24-05-13, 09:22 PM
I'm looking to update my engine size, problem is that I had a look for the engine number and it appears to have been attacked with a grinder........

I dread to think why.

How do I stand with this?

Mazz
25-05-13, 01:27 PM
Just make on up, similar to these

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/31194-20xe-engine-codes-what-number-yours-15.html#post4738390

Vauxhall_Redtop
25-05-13, 01:59 PM
Yeah but won't DVLA send the v5 back saying that engine is already in use?

Andy
25-05-13, 02:03 PM
Use a unique number like ya date of birth or summat lol
Re the receipt,i wrote one out in the carpark lol

Vauxhall_Redtop
25-05-13, 02:06 PM
Use a unique number like ya date of birth or summat lol
Re the receipt,i wrote one out in the carpark lol

Haha true mental :)

What and they excepted the engine change lol?

Andy
25-05-13, 07:18 PM
Yeah,got me tax disc there and then.
V5 arrived a fortnight later.

mowgli
25-05-13, 09:12 PM
I'm looking to update my engine size, problem is that I had a look for the engine number and it appears to have been attacked with a grinder........

I dread to think why.

How do I stand with this?

use your existing no. its unique to your car, simply state it has had a change in capacity..

well, thats what i plan to do when i stick the 1800 crank & pistons into my 1600 bottom end.

Balley
15-11-13, 08:07 PM
I am writing to confirm that the engine change for E123 ABC from a 993cc petrol engine to a 2498cc petrol engine with the engine number of 01234567 has been carried out to safe and road worthy standard.

blar blar
Chief Technician

Is this good enough? it will be on headed paper and signed by my boss (foreman)

Martin.p
15-11-13, 08:25 PM
They may want photos of the engine number on the end of the block. (I had to)

I've just sent my log book back for the 3rd time!! Each time they have wanted more and more. I first sent mine off in August!
Still waiting :'(

Martin.p
15-11-13, 08:27 PM
Also have the letter include the VIN number of the car.

Balley
15-11-13, 08:30 PM
Okay thanks

Balley
15-11-13, 08:37 PM
Make & Model: Vauxhall Nova
Chassis Number: VSX000091J1234567

I am writing to confirm that I have inspected the above vehicle which has had a previous engine change. The capacity has gone from 993cc petrol engine to a 2498cc petrol engine. The work has been carried out to safe and road worthy standard.

Chief Technician

Any better??

Martin.p
16-11-13, 04:58 PM
This is what the garage did for me.
I asked them to add the reg of the car the engine came from because I didn't want the risk of them sending logbook back again asking for that info.
Plus I owed / scrapped the calibra and have the certificate of destruction for it. So I new I could back it up if they asked.

(fingers are covering my address)

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/martinstu/null_zps5d0b6b5c.jpg

Jack
17-11-13, 04:28 PM
Would recommend taking it to the local office rather than posting off, if there's anything missing or needed the person on the desk will tell you. And if they accept it, Swansea will usually just process it without question.

Martin.p
17-11-13, 07:43 PM
I think all local offices closed in October. (Mine did)

Balley
17-11-13, 07:51 PM
As above they all closed on the 26th. I would rather go in but obviously I can't.

Jack
19-11-13, 12:47 PM
Did they? Cock. Thats bloody useful then!

Balley
19-11-13, 06:08 PM
Yeah exactly. My dad is self employed converting motorcycles to trikes and he is having loads of issues with them changing the tax class. It used to be a 5 minute inspection. Now it takes about 5 weeks and there is a 10% chance he will need an inspection in derby which is 60 miles away from him! I do feel sorry for him as he has lost costumes because of the poor turn around!

Chay84
14-01-14, 10:04 PM
Got my docs back today after sending away to change engine size been waiting 10 weeks so I phoned them the other day said they are waiting on something coming back from somewhere

who knows but now it's logged as a 1998cc

Would that mean if I put turbo in I don't need to change again?

Martin.p
14-01-14, 10:23 PM
If you put a new engine in the engine number would need changing.

if you fitted a turbo to your 2.0l!?
Then I don't know.

Mine me is a turbo. An nowhere on log book says it is.
Even after many letters, the COD from the calibra the engine came from. Photos of the engine. And engineers report saying its a turbo.

Chay84
14-01-14, 10:25 PM
I was lucky didn't have to get engineers report

I thought it would have said 1998 turbo?

Martin.p
14-01-14, 10:56 PM
I has loads of hassle getting mine back right.
Went to local dvla office twice. (Befor they closed them all)
they sent it off second time after wanting to see pics.
Got it back still listed as 1.4
sent it back again. Month later got a letter asking for engineers report (and they'd sent log book back 2nd time)
so the last time I sent
log book
engineers report
mot certificate
certificate of destruction (from the calibra engine came from
photos of the car with engine in
photos of the engine number
photos of the vin plate
and a letter stating what I've done. The order/ dates I've written to them, what they keep ****ing up on.
All sent by special delivery (£6.00 something)

Thankfully a week later they got it right.

but, no. It don't say turbo on log book. (Kind of wished it did)
They had loads of info and everything said turbo turbo turbo
on it.

Chay84
14-01-14, 11:02 PM
Wow glad I didn't have that hassle, I went to my local one last year to change engine size and number and the guy was like we need proof receipts and reports so I just didn't bother then I decided a few months ago I better sort it out and sent them off with my fingers crossed

i must have got lucky

Martin.p
14-01-14, 11:15 PM
I read this hole thread when I was building the nova and it seems it's all one thing or the other.
You and I got the two extremes of what can/does happen

Benn
15-01-14, 11:12 AM
but, no. It don't say turbo on log book. (Kind of wished it did)
They had loads of info and everything said turbo turbo turbo
on it.

Never says it's a turbo. Mine doesn't. Cav turbos from the factory don't either. As long as it's a 2lt it's fine.
Turbo/Tbs don't affect engine size or capacity, so arnt needed on a V5

Jack
15-01-14, 12:09 PM
Yep. The only place you'd fine 'turbo' is if it was part of the model name, which for Vauxhalls it's generally not (VX220 aside...). Unless whoever registered it first time round got it wrong - which happens, especially with imports lol - or its been updated by a previous owner. Maybe to make it like an ebay listing, nova 1.2 merit sport turbo nozzzz etc lol

Martin.p
15-01-14, 05:21 PM
I see.
My calibra had turbo on the log book. So I assumed when I moved it to the nova it was going to come back saying nova turbo.
but like you said if it's part of the cars name. Which I guess is was as they say it on boot lid,
(But then so do the cav's !? )

dunno. Don't really care. :D
It's back. It says 2.0l (1998) and I'm driving it. :)

Balley
15-01-14, 06:17 PM
Mine came back first time with the correct engine number and displacement. My cover letter and qc letter obviously did the trick!

Dave.
08-05-14, 01:24 PM
How long does it take for them to update their records? I sent my logbook off 5 weeks ago along with a receipt of engine, mechanical report from a MOT tester at my local garage, and accompanying letter stating the changes. II've heard nothing back and DVLA website still shows it as a 993cc whenever I check it, not a 1998cc

millworm
23-10-14, 12:18 AM
Just wondering but I insured my car when it was still logged as a 1.0 however I declared a non standard engine and all the mods. I now want to declare the engine Change to the dvla so do I have to change insurance too?

scott.parker
23-10-14, 08:53 AM
If it's already insured as 1600 no, but if it's down on there insurance as a 993 then yep.

millworm
21-01-15, 03:06 PM
Sent off paper work over a month ago and have heard nothing, and still showing as 993cc :/

Jack
22-01-15, 07:12 PM
DVLA aren't known for being quick, let alone if there's a Christmas in the way. Maybe try giving them a call?