PDA

View Full Version : is this right ???

Ric 16v
29-01-03, 06:15 PM
I don't know if this is to go in this forum but as you may know I have an L reg nova that had a catalitic converter on it, but I'v since changed the 1.2 engine for a 1.4 sr one, the sr engine was from a H reg nova and it didn't have a cat on it so what I'm wanting to know is will I still have to put the cat on the car for the M.O.T, I'm sure I heard somewhere that if you put an engine in car and that engine didnt previously have a cat on it and you put the engine in a car that had a cat on it i.e. L reg car would the sr engine require a cat for the m.o.t, it sounds confusing but I hope you know what I mean

wisewood
29-01-03, 06:22 PM
You mean you have a car that needs a cat, and an engine that doesnt... so do you need the cat for the MOT?

Dicko
29-01-03, 06:53 PM
no you dont as long as you can prve the year of the engine. seen as they didnt make any engines on carbs that needed a cat that shouldnt be a problem

dan16v
29-01-03, 09:05 PM
hmm not sure dicko ive been lead to believe if your shell is past the cut off then your shell req a cat no matter what engine? personaly best thing to do is get friendly with motist! i was thinking the same as my car is k plate but has no cat but he didnt even mention it!

_JH_
29-01-03, 10:14 PM
get friendly with motist!

or you could just ask one, saves money on flowers, drink, hotels etc, and you dont have that agonisin 'breakin the ice' thing on the first date :D

Dan
30-01-03, 12:54 AM
the emmisions side of the mot is purely based on the year of the engine. As regards the cut off point and shells lol, its a new one on me if the shell requires a cat to make it more enviromentally friendly :roll: :wink: .

One of the lads i know took out a 1.8 ecowank engine from his astra estate and fitted the red top valver in its place just before mot time and it is the age of the engine that counts with a little proof of such if required.

Dicko
30-01-03, 01:41 AM
iv checked this out myself and its states that it goes off whichever is older out of the car and the engine. if its the engine then yu need to prove the age of the engine............

Ric 16v
30-01-03, 11:40 AM
cheers people the 1.4 sr engine is out of a H reg car which is 1990 or somewhere round there so I wont be needing the cat for the m.o.t, thanks people

dan16v
30-01-03, 09:54 PM
lol@ the shell needing cat, what im saying is the car would be built to meet the standards for the year of production meaning no matter what engine it still needs to be in regs with year! my friend got done this way as he went to a main dealer for an mot and failed due to a gte lump in a 1.2 k plate shell my friend at hartwells also says they would fail a car regardless of what engine if it was past the cat cut off point