PDA

View Full Version : Linux

Tidy Max
14-05-09, 05:18 PM
Alreet chaps!

Does anyone on here use linux? or even more specifically openSuSe linux?

Jack
14-05-09, 05:38 PM
I use RHEL5.1 at work and dabbled with Fedora 9+10 and Ubuntu at home

Tidy Max
14-05-09, 05:41 PM
im using suse 10.1 at the moment, but im trying to get a wireless adapter to work with it, after getting a copy of ndiswrapper which is a network interface layer i think its called, i have found out i need to update my kernel..

any idea how i go about that RJ?

i have a copy of open suse 11.1 on dvd now also, but my only dvd drive that i can use on this computer is my external one, anyidea how i go about setting the bios to boot from a usb device?!

thanks for your reply even if you cant help with that!

Jack
14-05-09, 05:54 PM
Errrm, pass. lol

I couldn't get my wifi NIC to work with Fedora, and Ubuntu was a bit gay with it (that could be the nic's fault though as it worked once before)

As for updating the kernel... I remember on SCO Unixware there was a command, idbuild -B i think it was, that would rebuild the kernel. Haven't really looked into rebuilding the kernel on a linux box though. Might be worth seeing if there's a linux equivalent.

As for booting from USB, on RHEL we'ved edited the grub boot loader line to pic up stuff from different media before, think that was a USB memory stick we used. Can't for the life of me remember what we edited it to though, but I guess it would be slightly different on SUSE anyway

Stuart
14-05-09, 08:24 PM
I got ubuntu to work with the macs wirelessness but it was uber faff

cat5 FTW

Tidy Max
14-05-09, 09:22 PM
indeed stu, but here is the problem, im running a wireless network, so i tried to utilise ICS within windows and use a cross over cable from a wireless pc to my linux station, but with me using a netgear router they are set as standard to 192.168.0.1

coincidently which is the ip address assigned to a computer with ICS enabled, so after DISabling using the router as a DHCP, blablabla, it spat its dummy and locked me out, v.annoying!

anyway, im still struggling on! only just found where my kernel headers had disappeared to!

Jack
14-05-09, 10:13 PM
Change the ip of the router then, stick that and te windows box on a different subnet to the one ICS uses

Tidy Max
15-05-09, 02:48 PM
indeed stu, but here is the problem, im running a wireless network, so i tried to utilise ICS within windows and use a cross over cable from a wireless pc to my linux station, but with me using a netgear router they are set as standard to 192.168.0.1

coincidently which is the ip address assigned to a computer with ICS enabled, so after DISabling using the router as a DHCP, blablabla, it spat its dummy and locked me out, v.annoying!

anyway, im still struggling on! only just found where my kernel headers had disappeared to!

the blablabla was the step you just suggested RJ, whenever i try to log back onto the router after changing the IP address, it tells me another system administrator is online! and wont let me access it, proper nightmare, still having problems with linux

ive updated to open suse 11.1, cant be bothered boring you all with it to be honest, going to install some more software repositories when i get home though, i even dreamt about it all last night, its getting to me!!

Riggy
15-05-09, 05:46 PM
meh , windows FTW lol

novaguy08
15-05-09, 07:32 PM
bloody hell aint heard linux in a few years!!

Jack
15-05-09, 08:31 PM
Poo. My Belkin router sometimes does the "another admin.." thing, usually when my phone decides to disconnect wifi when its logged into the admin stuff on it. Usually sorts itself once its times out, about 5 mins.