PDA

View Full Version : Heated seats

stugsi
29-01-03, 06:12 PM
Went to the scrap yard the other day found three volvo's all with heated seats, but don't know which to get 1 was a flat cloth mat with 2 wires, 1 was a plastic plate with wires running across it, and the other one was 2 single flat plates. Could youplease help me as i don't know which one to get.

What wires would i need with it and the switches??

Freak
29-01-03, 06:35 PM
Mine werefrom a 340

Foamy type mat with two wires (and a big lump for the thermostat).

They all should work to be honest.....

James B
29-01-03, 07:19 PM
any will work - at the end of the day your arse will be radiating with these beauties :) just remember that volvos has a cut/off switch, like a thermistor, novas obv dont have these so make sure you turn them off when it gets hot, or itll get hotter, and hotter, and hotter, and you may experience a burnt backside. like...on fire burnt style.

ouch

_JH_
29-01-03, 09:40 PM
if you have a mk1 nova, there is a blank switch next to the rear wiper switch (i think, cant remember exactly but i know its down to the right) and if you prise off the cover its where the switch for heated seats would go if the car had been sold in norway etc. you'll see a little logo of a seat with wavy lines through it.

get a replacement fog lamp switch from a scrappy or vaux, and it'll go straight in. that way it'll look a lot better than cutting cav switches into your center console etc.

(this was the case in my gte anyway, should be the same in another mk1 car)

mikeoxford
30-01-03, 11:41 AM
all the wiring diags i used for vaux swithces (fog lamp style) from a calibra are on nova-land.com the switches are ?8 each

in the mk2 these go between the electric window switches, as for the mk1s, do the above mentioned

i used the foam ones mentioned above, two wires going in.

wherever or whatever ones u get, find the sliver thing the size of a 5p and remove it.

BE AWARE as said you NEED to switch them off after a while.

on the new volvos u will find the thermostat thing (sliver 5p) is on a spring up the centre of the seat, so dont worry about it.

on the older ones it is in the pad.

any other advice u need post another msg,

Fester
30-01-03, 12:08 PM
if the car was sold in scandinavia with heated seats is it worth scanning some european boards and get some pukka nova heated seats??

Lee H
30-01-03, 12:55 PM
Where do u get the wiring harness that clips into the centre console that the switches plug into, can`t find one anywhere??

Freak
30-01-03, 01:18 PM
Mk2 - take the electric window switch holder out- the plastic thing between them pulls out (unclips from underneath)

Get two cav/calibra heated seat switches to go in there (?3.45 each from vauxhall) or if u a cheapskate use some front fog/rear fog/heated screen switches from same car).

You CANNOT buy the wiring harness for the heated seats. It comes as a complete loom- believe me i enquired about this when i did mine.

You will have to make your own.
Not very hard (philM- old skool novaloader wired mine in)

Use the same earth as the electric windows.
Spare slot in the fuse box for a switched feed (cant remember the number but there are only two spare slots). Need to plug into the fuse box which feeds to the switches which are wired into the pads. Same earth as electric windows.
www.vauxnova.co.uk has guides on tadding switches and lists the different pin numbers/functions on different types of switches.

Not too hard- took about an hour to wire mine in.
Ill see if thepics are still about and post them up.

mikeoxford
30-01-03, 06:27 PM
go onto nova-land.com in the interior section mate honnest! theres a wiring diagram there - very easy to understand

u need a realy and a fuse and 2 vaux swtiches

Freak
30-01-03, 07:01 PM
No relay required.

There is a fused ignition feed in the fuse box not used (was the one used in scandinavia for heated seats if u can be assed like i was to follow the wiring diagrams...)

Plugs straight into this. No hassle.

That diagram is overly complex when it doesnt need to be-creating extra work.

Each to their own. Both ways work.

novacabrio
25-10-05, 03:50 PM
Just in time for winter! Old post but a great idea :lol:

Stuart
25-10-05, 04:19 PM
tut tut old post bumping....

plus heated seats are for poofs lol
they make you feel like youve pissed yourself... mmmmmmm nice

novacabrio
25-10-05, 07:35 PM
tut tut old post bumping....

plus heated seats are for poofs lol
they make you feel like youve p**s yourself... mmmmmmm nice

Not bumped for no reason! A great mod to any nova!