PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Front Mounted Intercooler

Rickardo
13-05-09, 07:59 PM
I know load's of people on here must of fitted a FMIC to there Nova, can anyone tell me what length of pipe's to use, metal and silicone. Which is best and which to avoid.

I'm gonna be cheeky and ask if i get the part's required, will someone give me a hand to put it on.. it's all rocket science to me unfortunately.. :)

gaznovalet
13-05-09, 08:19 PM
easiest option for front mount cooler is the frontera intercooler as fits nicely in the bumper wen you cut it. its dimesions are full length 727mm the outlets are on back so perfect for this and the inlet and outlet diameter is 50mm again spot on. its a 9 litre cooler so can safely run decent boost fine thruw it. pick them up cheapish 20-40 quid on egay.

Rickardo
13-05-09, 08:22 PM
Graema Dixon had one for sale, just waiting on price.. have you any idea about lenght of the pipe's?? Need to get a rough idea before i start doing it.. Thank's.. :thumb:

gaznovalet
13-05-09, 09:41 PM
unsure of length of pipes mate last one i did we just had a length of 2.5 inch stainless steel pipe and made it up as went along with a few bits of boost pipes and bends. wasnt hard at all.

garethcolley
13-05-09, 09:51 PM
Yeh fit it first then work out pipes. The one to your throttle body is pretty easy tbh. The one from compressor discharge to inlet of the cooler might require an elbow or two depending on the application.

garethcolley
13-05-09, 09:57 PM
Ive actually just trial fitted mine earlier tonight, here are some pics so you get an idea, sorry it doesnt show the outlets but they are on the top of the cooler at the rear.

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq205/colley340/Nova%20Images/DSC01486.jpg

Rickardo
13-05-09, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info. i'm getting the cooler off Graeme. Frontera one. am i right in thinking it's got a 50mm diameter inlet and outlet?? if so i'll look for some metal piping.. :thumb:

garethcolley
13-05-09, 10:08 PM
Correct, thats a frontera in the pic btw

Rickardo
13-05-09, 10:11 PM
Good, now i can look for some hose and metal pipe.. cheer's dude.. :thumb:

Lee H
14-05-09, 06:55 AM
Frontera one fits using the standard calibra boost hoses if you have them all, just need one extra standard 90 degree bend.

That's how I've fitted the last 3 that I have done. You will need to move your radiator to the middle as well if you haven't already. The fan switch on my rad was in the way so I had to cap it and just run a manual switch for it.

Graeme
14-05-09, 07:51 AM
Told you Lee would be able to help

Rickardo
14-05-09, 04:55 PM
i have a manual switch for the fan already fitted.. Thank's for the tip's..

You don't wanna fit another one do you Lee H..lollol

Lee H
14-05-09, 05:07 PM
i have a manual switch for the fan already fitted.. Thank's for the tip's..

You don't wanna fit another one do you Lee H..lollol

Depends how soon you want it doing. Got exams next week so no time to play on cars until they are out of the way.

Don't mind doing it for you though.

Rickardo
14-05-09, 05:13 PM
Cheer's dude.. The problem is i want a remap next week, the original calibra cooler that is on is in the wrong place. it's not at the front of the car, it's sat above the gearbox facing upward's. I have a bonnet scoop so air is getting in..So the problem is do i get a remap before i (WE) do the cooler, or do i wait??

The standard cooler will be able to deal with a stage 1 Remap 257 Bhp

Need a bigger cooler for the stage 2 Remap 277 Bhp

i really want the stage 2 map, i'll always regret not getting it if i don't.. :thumb:

Lee H
14-05-09, 05:21 PM
Pm sent.

Graeme
14-05-09, 05:53 PM
I don't think you'll struggle to fit it especially with Lee's input, I just don't know how its going to fit behind a non gsi front bumper

Rickardo
14-05-09, 06:06 PM
just had a chat with Lee.. REALLY helpful.. Mega Rep for the info..

Looks like i'll have to cut the bumper for it to fit. Am i still alright to come tomorrow Graeme??:thumb:

Graeme
14-05-09, 06:19 PM
No problem mate I'll keep you posted on what time I am back

Rickardo
14-05-09, 06:19 PM
Cheer's.... :thumb: