PDA

View Full Version : Moulding dash

ade
29-01-03, 01:43 PM
OK, my minds starting to work overtime again on next mod.

Already seen poss project car - 1.4i - body needs attention but solid engine.

Has anyone fibreglased/modded their mk2 vynal/cardbaord dash?

I figure that you need to remove the vynal 1st and then mould fibredlass onto it (after reinforcing area) but is it possible to revynal it?

Any pointers on those that have done similar (djp_y2k, Matt Finary etc) welcome...

Ade

ade
30-01-03, 12:30 PM
has no one dared to rearrange their nova dash???

Not even a bit?

God the modding potential is awsome! (slight exageration but you get my drift)

The tinkgs you could do and then take into the door cards...

?Marty?
30-01-03, 12:43 PM
Of course it is Ade! ANYTHINGS possible!

Remove the vynal. Make shapes/pods/whatever out of mdf. Sand them smooth. Use a bit of fiberglass and filler. Or use mesh instead of wood.

Smooth the whole dash over once finished. Then either get i sprayed or get it re-trimmed in leather, tweed, vynil, jeans, suade - whatever.

OR take the whole dash to bits and re-move. Take it to an engineering/fabrication company, and get them to make copies of the whole dash and all the bits off it - out of ALUMINIUM. Have them all polished. Then re-assemble the shiny alloy dash replica in the car.

Pretty expensive though. And what would happen in a CRASH!?

djp_y2k
30-01-03, 06:39 PM
I havnt really put much thought into the interior yet. I did think about reshaping the dash, but not into any great detail.

Sorry I cant help you. Hopefully you will be able to give me advice if you manage to do it.

v1nce
30-01-03, 10:39 PM
lancy's motor is the only nova that springs 2 mind

sin a few million on US sites thou. seems 2 b the trend 2 move ure clocks 2 a cental position, c the green civic in this months redline 4 example... would think its as hard as say modeling a 1 off fiber glass bumper etc

midsnovalad
01-02-03, 11:53 AM
Ive got a MK1 dash, i have relocated the radio from the top and put it at the bottom, like on the MK2, i then have battery, oil and rev counters where the radio used to go. Oh and that reminds me, whats the best way to paint the MK1 dash? I want it black. cheers lads

v1nce
01-02-03, 05:49 PM
mk1 dash is plastic aint it ???

so pop it out the car, clean it with white spirits, then spary it with halfords plastic primer and then their panel paint