PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 xe help! no spark

AlanH
13-05-09, 02:25 PM
just finished putting the engine into my nova, attached all the wiring except the lambda sensor wires, tried firing the engine but getting no spark. tried a new coil and crank position sensor and made no difference. there is live at the coil and the fuel pump is working so i'm a bit stuck. any help would be really appreciated :confused: or if anyone is local i'd happily pay them if they can find or help fix the fault, desperate to get this ready for PVS and still has to be painted

16v Nova Kev
13-05-09, 02:47 PM
check all the earths its usually what some people forget about

AlanH
13-05-09, 03:11 PM
tried that, all fine. even put an extra one from box to body just incase, still no spark.

gmopeldealersport
13-05-09, 07:35 PM
distibuter engine or coil pack .if dizzy it could be dizzy or ignition amplifier not good enough earth. dizzy cap rotor arm .or even coil pack engine ignition amplifier not good earth.have you put ignition live to xe loom thin black wire comming out of main loom.

AlanH
13-05-09, 08:23 PM
got the ignition live connected up, replaced coil pack and ignition amplifier. think its a case of no
+ from the coilpack rather than a distributor problem, is there any way of testing if theres power coming from the coil to the distributor?
cheers,
alan

gazsnova
13-05-09, 09:03 PM
remove king lead from coil fit
spark
plug to end of king lead
earth spark plug on engine
crank engine see if theres a spark

AlanH
13-05-09, 09:09 PM
nice one, will give that a go. cheers

gazsnova
13-05-09, 09:17 PM
my bad i wrote remove king lead from coil- should be distributer

AlanH
13-05-09, 09:21 PM
yeah i know what you mean, leave it connected to coil and attach plug to distributor side

16v Nova Kev
13-05-09, 09:28 PM
still no joy

AlanH
13-05-09, 11:16 PM
havent tried that yet bud, be in the morning. hoping its just distributor cap or something silly but they look ok tbh

gavint5
14-05-09, 12:25 AM
kk there are two different dizzy caps and two different rotor arms for the c20xe on the market!!! could be that youve not a matching pair if either have been replaced since the engine last run.

measure the distance from the seat of thedistributor to the brass on the rotor arm then from the seat of the dizzy cap to the brass points inside. if they do not match up then thats ya problem.

im afraidn it could also be many other things though like for instance your knock/hall sensor in your dizzy or poor wiring anywhere. make sure the wiring for the hall sensor is perfect and that all three wires are the correct way around as some people shorten these for conversions.

AlanH
14-05-09, 12:05 PM
dizzy cap and rotor arm are the same ones that were on when it was took out, was running prior to removal. the hall sensor wiring has not been shortened. have found a single pin plug under the dizzy that isn't connected shown in pic below. any idea what it is/for?
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii227/alanhughes87/spareplug.jpg

loggyboy
14-05-09, 12:38 PM
CHeck that the accessory power you have supplied to the ECU remains live when cranking.
There are 2 accessory lives, one cuts out when cranking so if you have accidently wired that one up it shuts off the ECU!

EDIT* just seen the picture (had to log on mobile as PB is blocked at work), that is the connector for the accesory live so thats why its not running!!

AlanH
14-05-09, 12:59 PM
So i just run a live to that?

loggyboy
14-05-09, 01:09 PM
accesory live, depending on the nova model, there should be one coming from a connector near the brake servo, if not just run one from the fuse box (but as i stated before, make sure it stays live when cranking)

nova_saloon
14-05-09, 01:52 PM
lol yeh thats the ignition live if you dont have that plugged in it aint gunna work, theres a wiring diagram on here that you should have a look at, will help alot, just to make sure everything is wired up properly!

AlanH
14-05-09, 05:46 PM
CHeck that the accessory power you have supplied to the ECU remains live when cranking.
There are 2 accessory lives, one cuts out when cranking so if you have accidently wired that one up it shuts off the ECU!

EDIT* just seen the picture (had to log on mobile as PB is blocked at work), that is the connector for the accesory live so thats why its not running!!

YOU LEG END! sparking now, cheers:thumb:

Paul
14-05-09, 06:17 PM
make sure that goes to an ignition source yeh.

AlanH
14-05-09, 06:24 PM
will do bud, cheers

Sloth
14-05-09, 06:34 PM
thats what i said yesterday in the other thread.....

16v Nova Kev
14-05-09, 06:45 PM
cool sucsess

AlanH
14-05-09, 07:25 PM
just added fuel and she fired up after a few seconds of turning over. sounds a bit naughty with no manifold on lol. thought i had that wire connected up sloth, i now know the error of my ways

Sloth
14-05-09, 09:06 PM
no worries cheif, have fun, and fit a mani!

chimp007_uk
14-05-09, 09:13 PM
Glad you got it sorted Alan!

What colour is that wire? I'm so useless with electrics, but just wondering if thats whats wrong with my seh, although there is a slight spark ???

loggyboy
15-05-09, 05:04 PM
The accesory live wire in question is black.