PDA

View Full Version : Front brake squeak

garethcolley
13-05-09, 01:37 PM
I have an almost new set of V6 calipers and 284mm discs (with spigott rings) for the nova with new pads. These were bedded in then used for 700 miles or so. Im getting squeaking on the front right when the car is in motion but stops when the brake pedal is depressed slightly. The pads have been off to check for un even wear but look ok. Whats the most likely cause? Its obviously worse/louder the faster you go. Also upon very hard braking there is some judder at the bottom end of the pedal. Help would be appreciated before i buy some new discs and pads.

Gareth :thumb:

MattBrown
13-05-09, 01:58 PM
Are all the pins/moving parts/sliders free?

All greased?

Good copper greese is handy:thumb:

Is the judder brakes, or wheels, or bent shaft, worn bearings? Shock bushings?

Could be anything, so dont jump to conclutions untill you know!

Try a differant set of wheels if you have acess to them???

novaguy08
13-05-09, 02:05 PM
i been told by my brother who works with brake pads n stuff, but he said to stop using copper grease as it dries up and clogs things up, best bet is to use a silicone based grease.

Pistol Pete
13-05-09, 02:26 PM
Judder is more than likely warped discs. Squeak, just strip the brakes down, copper grease (which people have used for years with no troubles) what you can and deglaze the pads. That should help.

P Whack
13-05-09, 03:06 PM
Judder is more than likely warped discs. Squeak, just strip the brakes down, copper grease (which people have used for years with no troubles) what you can and deglaze the pads. That should help.

Absolutly bob on matey judder is warped disks

novaguy08
13-05-09, 05:17 PM
Pete i know, but thats what i been told!

Pistol Pete
13-05-09, 05:24 PM
Fair enough, but brake pad/disc dust will stick to any grease. I'd ratehr have greased up brakes than bone dry ones that will probably seize. IMO, brakes, being an important part of any car should be checked over every so often anyway...

garethcolley
13-05-09, 09:48 PM
Yeh they have been greased up well...my thinking was that if the discs are slightly warped then maybe they are catching on a slight corner of the pad hence the squeak?

Pistol Pete
13-05-09, 09:53 PM
No. The squeak is more than likely glazed pads. Enough heat to warp the discs, but not enough to burn the pad. Hard on them from cold perhaps? Drop the pads out and rub them down on some emery cloth. Chuck them back in and be gentle. Should stop the squeak.

garethcolley
13-05-09, 10:04 PM
No. The squeak is more than likely glazed pads. Enough heat to warp the discs, but not enough to burn the pad. Hard on them from cold perhaps? Drop the pads out and rub them down on some emery cloth. Chuck them back in and be gentle. Should stop the squeak.

No not really abused them from cold and they have done limited mileage (pottering around sorting problems). Ill do the pads tomorrow, before refitting.

Rich
14-05-09, 06:52 PM
File the edge of the pads slightly, stops them squeaking. Some pads are angled at the edges (top/bottom) im assuming to reduce squeaking.

garethcolley
14-05-09, 07:36 PM
File the edge of the pads slightly, stops them squeaking. Some pads are angled at the edges (top/bottom) im assuming to reduce squeaking.

Will give that a go too, cheers.