PDA

View Full Version : help!

tino
12-05-09, 10:36 AM
Does anyone know where i can get cheap insurance for a modified car! as the police have warned me to get my mods declared! and i cant afford some of the quotes ive had

Jack
12-05-09, 10:39 AM
Age, postcode area, NCB, usage? Any claims, points etc?

What mods do you have?

Unfortunately when adding mods, you should always factor the cost of insurance premium increases - can't afford the insurance, can't afford the mod. However, there are a number of mod-friendly insurance companies out there - as a club member you're entitled to 20% discount with Sky.

tino
12-05-09, 10:47 AM
Im 18. looking at 3rd part F&T under my das name! no claims or points (yet lol)

as for mods theres gsi bumpers, front splitter, rear spoiler, flared arches, wider alloys, de locked, de handled, tinted windows, exhaust system, air filter, stripped down to 2 bucket seats,harnesses and full roll cage and alpine sound system. I'll try a quote with sky then.

Jack
12-05-09, 11:07 AM
I can't remember if sky are 19+ like HIC/Flux. PM Ollie and see what he can do for you.

Of course you mean putting your dad on as second driver don't you, as going under his name is fronting :p Bear in mind that will save you a bit of cash anyway, and you'll be earning NCB (which you won't as a second driver).

Also try Admiral/Elephant - again, parents as second drivers will save cash with them. Ring round a few companies, get some quotes, have a look in this forum for companies to try, and call places back if you get a cheaper quote elsewhere.

skyinsurance
12-05-09, 11:18 AM

I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to help with this. Our minimum criteria is aged 19 or over with 2 years driving experience.

If the car is yours, it needs to be insured in your name.. if you insure your car in your dad's name, that is called 'fronting' the policy, which the police and insurance companies also take a dim view of.

It sounds to me that you cannot afford to insure this vehicle with the mods on there.

wwmnw
12-05-09, 02:54 PM

as for mods theres gsi bumpers, front splitter, rear spoiler, flared arches, wider alloys, de locked, de handled, tinted windows, exhaust system, air filter, stripped down to 2 bucket seats,harnesses and full roll cage and alpine sound system. I'll try a quote with sky then.

Is it a standard spoiler? Some of the things you have here are putting your quotes up alot I.E the roll cage, as far as i know they put quotes up alot and as they aint really necessary you may be better taking it out, Although i could be wrong.

George g
12-05-09, 03:18 PM
dont mention anything that is standard on any of the nova range. so GSI bumpers (technically standard replacement items).

the roll cage is the biggie! almost no insurance company will touch you until you are 25 with a roll cage! bucket seats & harnesses are another. all of these indicate to the company that you might be racing (why would you need these items otherwise?)

you might need to take some stuff out then chap, or front up the cash...

Jack
12-05-09, 03:39 PM
dont mention anything that is standard on any of the nova range. so GSI bumpers (technically standard replacement items).
Nope, anything that is non OE-spec equipment is a "mod" and should be declared. So, for example, replacing a poverty spec bumper with a GSi one is a modification even though its still a Vauxhall part. Its not a standard replacement item for that particular car.

Think of it this way; park five 1.2 Merits up next to each other, all the same, but one fitted out as a GSi replica. Which one do you think your opportune thief is going to target?

tino
13-05-09, 10:15 AM

the roll cage is the biggie! almost no insurance company will touch you until you are 25 with a roll cage! bucket seats & harnesses are another. all of these indicate to the company that you might be racing (why would you need these items otherwise?)

you might need to take some stuff out then chap, or front up the cash...

Your right the cage and seats are the biggest problem! unfortunately the cage is welded in!

I'v been thinking about putting a 1.0 or 1.2 in just until im 19 as alot of the insurers dont seem intereted unless your 19 or older. Do yous think that would help?