PDA

View Full Version : Converting an XE nova to LET

SteveC
12-05-09, 02:40 AM
Im new on here so first off hi to all lol

ive messed about in the past with engine conversions and done a couple of 2.0 williams transplants into 1.2 mk1 clios and then realised french cars are gash and moved on to vauxhall (which hardly sum up motoring finesse but still better than french). Ive currently got a mk4 astra but without spending stupid amounts of money its never really gonna be properly quick so ive been looking down the small car big engine route again which has brought me to novas. Ive never owned/worked on a nova at all so I dont really know too much about them chassis/engine wise. The one im after would be a C20LET'd one, the redtop would be nice but 150bhp isnt enough. I no longer have the patience, tools or space to do any serious conversion work but im pretty much ok for a straight forward ish swap. There seems to be very few pre converted LET novas about for sale so I was wondering how hard it would be to swap a C20XE for a C20LET if I bought one that had the xe conversion already done? As far as i was aware they were physically the same engine in terms of mounts, is this true? also would the box from the XE fit the LET and would I need to do anything else, in particular wiring?

Adam*D
12-05-09, 08:39 AM
Have you ever been in an XE nova? you'll realise 150 odd bhp is quite a lot of fun!
Anyway, the LET engine is the same block as an XE so would fit on the same mounts, the XE 'box would also fit but how long it would last is anyone's guess. Some people have ran LET's with F20's for ages and other people can only manage a few weeks!

AlexW
12-05-09, 11:44 AM
150bhp in a 800kg (abouts) is better than you thiink.

Shaun
12-05-09, 11:51 AM
Ive never been in an xe nova but will be building a let nova very soon.

i used to have a xe corsa and was quick, but my let corsa is awesome.

the let can use the same mounts if you use the f20 gearbox but as said it may not last long with the let, if you go for the f28 then another mount needs making up for it.

:)

The Simps
12-05-09, 12:13 PM
Converting from XE to LET is relatively simple. The hardest part is intercooler fitment and making it all look tidy.

If you look in the Articles forum there's several guides into how to go about doing it.

If you've got access to a welder I'd go for the f28 6 speed box that came with the LETs as it puts you in a whole new ball park. Again i've done a guide to fitting one in the articles section.

Are you building for road or track?

SteveC
12-05-09, 03:04 PM
Converting from XE to LET is relatively simple. The hardest part is intercooler fitment and making it all look tidy.

If you look in the Articles forum there's several guides into how to go about doing it.

If you've got access to a welder I'd go for the f28 6 speed box that came with the LETs as it puts you in a whole new ball park. Again i've done a guide to fitting one in the articles section.

Are you building for road or track?

il make sure I take a look at that.

In terms of road/track its gonna be a combination of the two. Its going to be as track orientated as possible but still road legal (with the exception of it having no cat and 1/2 other minor bits). I dont have access to a welder personally but my mate runs an engineereing company so im sure he would be happy to lend a hand

I know that XE novas are very fast but after having a go in a LET one its taked 3/4 days to peel the smile off my face, its in a whole different league.

thanks for the replies, the help is much appreciated