PDA

View Full Version : SPAX kit

wwmnw
12-05-09, 12:04 AM
I have a SPAX VSX kit -40mm been on for a couple of months, I thought it was the mutts nuts at first but over time i am finding it quite hard and uncomfortable, I thought/still think its just a stiff kit but a mate of mine asked me today if i cut the bump stops in half as apparently you are supposed to :confused: News to me.

Really is a stiff kit, Must admit the handling has improved alot over standard suspension (I'm sure you all know what i meen about standard Nova suspension) but going over moderate bumps in the road and it makes a canny bang, over bigger holes its like one side of the car falls into the hole and makes a big bang making me worry if the chassis can take this kind of beasting.

Welshy
12-05-09, 12:17 AM
is the springs bottoming out (touching each coil)
just out of curiosity really.
my old clio had the same problem, in the end i just decided to live with it

wwmnw
12-05-09, 12:24 AM
No the springs are fine, Should be anyway as the kit is relatively new and all SPAX marked up.

Steve
12-05-09, 12:31 AM
My mate had spax adjustables on his xe nova, you could either have them on hard, or bone breaking, did corner well though, just not good for day to day driving on our crap roads.

Asa-James
12-05-09, 12:33 AM
you are supposed to shorten the bumpstops, as the car rides lower (tall bumpstops will limit suspension travel) to be honest even if you had left the bumpstops at normal height it shouldnt be sounding like its bottoming out. did you tighten the top not on the strut properly?

Steve
12-05-09, 12:39 AM
I don't think they are bottoming out, just so firm that it sounds like something breaks everytime you hit a pothole...

wwmnw
12-05-09, 12:40 AM
Bone breaking these are,

No i didn't know at the time that you had/should cut the bumpstops but i don't want the car to ride lower as it catches on the arches already lol -40 and it looks like -60, Makes sense now though.

OH and yes the top nuts are tight.

Jack
12-05-09, 08:03 AM
I had Spax RSX (shock & spring) on my old hatch and even on the softest setting it was hard as nails lol

I've got another RSX kit (after saying I'd never get Spax again), albeit the coilover version. Its hard, but due to my superior tyre choice its very very smooth :D

Ernie
12-05-09, 08:04 AM
them V6 Man size tyres lol.