PDA

View Full Version : Job title...

chimp007_uk
11-05-09, 07:42 PM
Right...

Like most on here It's renewal time :) So I did the simple thing rang HIC told them of my new mods and that I had a wee accident last year and change of employment...

Now I new it was going t cost more than the renewal, due to the fore mentioned above plus I asked for agreed valuation...

But... They took my 3rd party cover away on other vehicles due to my new job!!! :mad: :eek:

Apparently technical support for garage equipment means that I'm not in the automotive trade moving cars round on a daily basis... WTF!!!!

The 3rd party cover is a realy handy thing to have.

Anyone got any advice? I rang round a few companies this eve and they wouldnt touch me :(

Cheers! :wtf:

Benn
11-05-09, 07:50 PM
Never tell them you work in the trade, its like hated in the insuceance world.
Or thing yuou can do is lie, saying you do IT surport or something..

Do you also mean that your getting classed in the trade, as aposed to not?

chimp007_uk
11-05-09, 07:53 PM
I'm now classed as working in the trade... Its BOLL0CKS!! Sitting in an office in London giving advice and support peanalises me on my insurance!!

Tight fisted assholes :mad:

I don't think I can get away wiht changing my job in a week lol You try and be honest and get screwed!

chimp007_uk
11-05-09, 08:24 PM
Anyone got any suggestions?

Benn
11-05-09, 08:28 PM
Say you think the people got the titrle wrong, tell them you are just IT.

Spudly
11-05-09, 08:37 PM
Tell them you have searched into it and youre definately not in the trade, i was with hic a few years back and was only fire and theft but was still covered third party on other vehicles and as soon as i entered the trade it was removed from me aswell:cry:

chimp007_uk
11-05-09, 08:41 PM
Benn, I'm going to say IT, but for what business?

Spudly, I feel your pain! But I'm not even in the trade. How they think I'm going to drive cars in a garage!? Which was her reasoning is beyond me!

Benn
11-05-09, 08:50 PM
Just say IT, doing customer surport.

brainsnova
11-05-09, 08:52 PM
im down on mine as unemployed

chimp007_uk
11-05-09, 09:14 PM
im down on mine as unemployed

Does that raise your insurance?

Will give it a go ben! They ask for a company though, hmmm. Asked them to call me tomorrow so will find out!

Rich
11-05-09, 09:26 PM
Im a mechanic/ vauxhall technician, how do i get around that one? I dont even do private work, so dont want it for that :(

Definatly tell them your are in IT customer support, otherwise go to another company for it?

Adam
11-05-09, 09:28 PM
Unemployed usually wacks the cost right up lol

chimp007_uk
11-05-09, 09:31 PM
Im a mechanic/ vauxhall technician, how do i get around that one? I dont even do private work, so dont want it for that :(

Definatly tell them your are in IT customer support, otherwise go to another company for it?

Thats the thing I had a good arguement with the girl, she said I might go intot he garage and drive a car lol

Its the not the end of the world, its just a handy thing to have if needed.

Unemployed usually wacks the cost right up lol

Thats what I thought, more time to go out driving etc

Jack
11-05-09, 10:11 PM
Whats your job title?

chimp007_uk
11-05-09, 10:25 PM
technical Customer sale support i think lol

Its not that, thats the prob its when they ask for the industry...

16v Nova Kev
11-05-09, 10:51 PM
i lie i drive/own my own taxi but i dont tell the insurance on my second car thats my job i dont see what it has to do with them i can only drive one car at a time ffs i put down factory worker

chimp007_uk
11-05-09, 10:54 PM
I should have just left it as engineer... Doh.

I need an industry, thinking mechanical engineering.

AlexW
12-05-09, 01:31 AM
Say you work for Tesco :D

PS: Im not allowed to drive cars 3rd party, but im down on my brothers traders for that lol

Jack
12-05-09, 08:37 AM
Note that obtaining a cheaper premium due to misinformation is fraud and can leave you open to prosecution. As well as driving with invalid insurance (for "invalid" read "none").

Tread carefully here, especially considering this is a public forum and a number of you have already admitted to lying about your occupation.

skyinsurance
12-05-09, 10:09 AM
Note that obtaining a cheaper premium due to misinformation is fraud and can leave you open to prosecution. As well as driving with invalid insurance (for "invalid" read "none").

Tread carefully here, especially considering this is a public forum and a number of you have already admitted to lying about your occupation.

Finally a voice of reason!

If you work in the motortrade and say you work in IT, you have lied to your insurers and they would be entitled not to pay out in the event of a claim. Also, if you had a crash in a car you were covered under the 'Driving Other Cars' extension when you weren't actually entitled to it could and probably would cause you a major problem.

I find it worrying that forum members seem to recommend lying to your insurer for you own gain.

I also find it slightly amusing that the OP has sent me a PM asking for a quote and has stated he works in the IT industry :roll: I replied to your PM before reading your post.. as above, I would advise treading very carefully with that one.

On a personal note.. I dont give a monkeys what you tell us.. it is not my job to find these things out.. but I would advise considering this very carefully.

Regards

Ollie
Sky Insurance

George g
12-05-09, 03:46 PM
but whats being said is that all chimp does is advise garages on parts and sells them. He is not going to be comercially working or driving anything. so surely it means he works in the automotive sector of the industry, but his occupation is "technical customer sale support"? or basically "parts advisor"...

no lying, no fraud. thats his honest job description. he sits in an office advising on parts for cars... if anything he is a salesman... lying is wrong and can have comeback, especially through insurance, and i dont condone lying to insurance to reduce your premium. However alot of insurance companies assume alot of things and generalise about jobs, so to be in the automotive trade apparently means you will be driving cars left right and centre... how does that work? hundreds of people work for toyota, assembling cars and designing them that will only sit and drive one car a day, but they are in the automotive trade, so according to insurers you will be driving other cars all day?

does that mean you could sue your insurance company for mis-representation of character? i thought they asked you all these questions so that they didnt assume everything?

16v Nova Kev
12-05-09, 04:21 PM
insurance pisses me off i got a quote the other day of 283 for my other car and when i phoned up to confirm it it jumped to 353 just because i have kids it stinks i think you should only pay one insurance no mater how many cars you have

Rich
12-05-09, 06:40 PM
Or like in america, your car is insured, not the driver!

Whats the actual reason for not being able to drive other cars 3rd party if you are in the motor trade? Is it litterally so you cant use it for work instead of getting a traders policy?

16v Nova Kev
12-05-09, 06:43 PM
just to screw more money out of us insurance is and must be the biggest scam going

chimp007_uk
12-05-09, 07:29 PM
What a palava... I rang them today and eventually they got back to me! They had to ring the under writer's to get my job clarified. Being in "IT" didnt cut it... So they asked for company name and industry etc. I like to be legit with insurance so discussed it and informed the guy that what I do is no different to you working in car insurance, so do you get charged more etc...

They'll now cover me the 3rd party cover but... it up'd the premium again because I was fecking honest... £782. And if I add my dad its £870.

I have got 2 accidents and no ncb on that car so I guess its not bad. Ollie's getting back to me about a quote, so see how that compares. nothings ever easy and especially when you work 8 till 6 and nothing is open when you ge tin a t 7 :(

16v Nova Kev
12-05-09, 08:28 PM
did you go on to compare the meercat.com

chimp007_uk
12-05-09, 09:31 PM
Finally a voice of reason!

If you work in the motortrade and say you work in IT, you have lied to your insurers and they would be entitled not to pay out in the event of a claim. Also, if you had a crash in a car you were covered under the 'Driving Other Cars' extension when you weren't actually entitled to it could and probably would cause you a major problem.

I find it worrying that forum members seem to recommend lying to your insurer for you own gain.

I also find it slightly amusing that the OP has sent me a PM asking for a quote and has stated he works in the IT industry :roll: I replied to your PM before reading your post.. as above, I would advise treading very carefully with that one.

On a personal note.. I dont give a monkeys what you tell us.. it is not my job to find these things out.. but I would advise considering this very carefully.

Regards

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Ollie, I do take offence to that, as the PM I sent stated my job was IT customer support. I didn't lie or state an industry! That is my job... I wanted a fair representation of my job without the predjudice of supposedly "being in the motor trade". With not dealing with cars or driving them why should I be taken advantage of?

fearless
12-05-09, 09:41 PM
I'm an old Vx mechanic - covered under works insurance to drive any car - but every year I stuggle to get insurance on my 1.2 Corsa commuter car !!!
Although I don't need it - I like to be covered to drive other/mates cars outside work just for pleasure !!!

But the insurance companies are punishing us in the motor trade for our own personal use - you try and tell the companies that your covered at work but they think your pulling a fast one - and using your insurance to cover you in customers cars

They wanted over 700 quid to insure a 1.2 corsa with max no claims - change my trade and it in comes in at under 300 !!!!!

In the end I managed to get insurance with Post Office for 500 - allowed to drive any car !!!

Anyway rant over - but I feel your problems

Dave

chimp007_uk
12-05-09, 09:49 PM
I'm an old Vx mechanic - covered under works insurance to drive any car - but every year I stuggle to get insurance on my 1.2 Corsa commuter car !!!
Although I don't need it - I like to be covered to drive other/mates cars outside work just for pleasure !!!

But the insurance companies are punishing us in the motor trade for our own personal use - you try and tell the companies that your covered at work but they think your pulling a fast one - and using your insurance to cover you in customers cars

They wanted over 700 quid to insure a 1.2 corsa with max no claims - change my trade and it in comes in at under 300 !!!!!

In the end I managed to get insurance with Post Office for 500 - allowed to drive any car !!!

Anyway rant over - but I feel your problems

Dave

I know how you feel Dave... I feel more sorry for you, as you say you're insured through work. But, there are people out there who don't have insurance through work and then use their personal cover.

I got clobbered for working at JLR and Aston Martin and explained to the insurance that I can't drive the cars I'm too young as you need to be 25 to get a license etc etc. They wouldn't listen.

chimp007_uk
12-05-09, 09:52 PM
but whats being said is that all chimp does is advise garages on parts and sells them. He is not going to be comercially working or driving anything. so surely it means he works in the automotive sector of the industry, but his occupation is "technical customer sale support"? or basically "parts advisor"...

no lying, no fraud. thats his honest job description. he sits in an office advising on parts for cars... if anything he is a salesman... lying is wrong and can have comeback, especially through insurance, and i dont condone lying to insurance to reduce your premium. However alot of insurance companies assume alot of things and generalise about jobs, so to be in the automotive trade apparently means you will be driving cars left right and centre... how does that work? hundreds of people work for toyota, assembling cars and designing them that will only sit and drive one car a day, but they are in the automotive trade, so according to insurers you will be driving other cars all day?

does that mean you could sue your insurance company for mis-representation of character? i thought they asked you all these questions so that they didnt assume everything?

I wish insurers thought like you George! They just need common sense... They computer syas noooo lol If there's not a box they don't know what to do and it goes to the defualt of "charge him more".

tom reid
12-05-09, 10:04 PM
How many people on here are 100% truthful to their ins company, I know there are some that lie about the engine size, think xe, these and the no insurance brigade are what put our premiums up, I would always advise truthfulness, you just don't know what will happen.
However, I can see that if youv'e got nothing but an old banger, no job etc, what's the worst that can happen?, oh yes, you could kill an innocent child.

Jack
12-05-09, 10:07 PM
Ollie, I do take offence to that, as the PM I sent stated my job was IT customer support. I didn't lie or state an industry! That is my job... I wanted a fair representation of my job without the predjudice of supposedly "being in the motor trade". With not dealing with cars or driving them why should I be taken advantage of?
I don't think Ollie's gripe there was specifically with you, bear in mind a few others have said on this thread they openly lie about their occupation and recommended you to say "IT".

Unfortunately, for every honest person out there, you'll find there's 10 or so dishonest ones, and its them that puts the price up for the rest of us :(

chimp007_uk
12-05-09, 10:10 PM
I don't think Ollie's gripe there was specifically with you, bear in mind a few others have said on this thread they openly lie about their occupation and recommended you to say "IT".

Unfortunately, for every honest person out there, you'll find there's 10 or so dishonest ones, and its them that puts the price up for the rest of us :(

It was at me... And I never stated anything different. Industry never came into it. However I did say IT technical support which is what my job is.

Lee H
13-05-09, 08:57 AM
I had a similar problem last year, I was working as an accountant in the head office of a pub/bar chain.

All my insurance quotes tripled as I was obviously going to be drink driving all the time even though I was based nowhere near any of he bars ffs :roll:

skyinsurance
13-05-09, 09:30 AM

Agreed, it is fine for the job title, but not the industry, this is another question. We have to record the job title and the business occupation.. if the business occupation is the automotive industry then that is what should be put down. Being is the automotive industry is what stops DOC being granted.

I totally agree that it seems silly when you look at the bare bones.. and as I've said, it is no skin of our nose if the customer chooses to be liberal with the truth of their business occupation.. but you all need to be aware that the insurance underwriter's will be elligible not to pay out in the event of a claim if a material fact presented to them turns out to be false.. and the reason why I have posted what I did is to show that encouraging this sort of thing is not exactly helping anyone apaert from the insurance companies as they will not pay out for claims.