PDA

View Full Version : A day of salooning

Jack
10-05-09, 01:05 PM
Yesterday I have been mostly driving the saloon lol

Early (its a saturday!) start at 9 to fuel Lee with tea, then we pimped down to Southampton to see Craig and win the Saloon an MOT. Much amusement as a rear spring sheared in half - that would explain the wikkidy bo respect that chavs were giving us - but aside from that everything was pretty much in order. Oh yeah, and a T-piece on the water hoses had melted into more of an R-piece.

Once that was done, and a fine piece of temporary welding from Lee on the spring to get us home, Company Director Craig wrote a note for the DVLA to confirm the engine change was done to a quality standard. And in the process stole from Dickens the title of "world's greatest writer of fiction".

Only one minor hiccup on the way home of the aforementioned R-piece melting again and spewing water everywhere. Just as we had it fixed some Wombles turned up, who luckily happened to have some water on them - a quick topup and we were on the road again. After seriously embarrasing a 400bhp white-striped 1.4 poverty spec purple Polo near Salisbury, we were quickly home.

No sooner had we arrived then its on the road again - this time, a run to chaise Dan to see his new track weapon. All I can say is the pictures don't do it justice, this thing is a serious looking machine. And despite Dan being quite self-critical of his painting skills, the paint on both the landy and Nova are top notch :D Pics are on their way :)

Once poking and "ooh-ing" and "aah-ing" was complete, we hit the road up to Lee's Barn to await Mr pompey18 who has taken on my old XE and exhaust. When we eventually found him roaming the sticks looking lost, we lifted the XE into his van, Lee bashed and swore at the exhaust in an effort the separate it, and then that was loaded up too.

Final trip of the day swa me going almost home, but taking a diversion to Warminster as a house full of women was calling. Once my work was completed there, a short 45 minute rant back home and I was done for the day.

All in, I reckon around 300 miles were covered, and aside from a few small mishaps the car hasn't killed me yet. Result :D

let_nova
10-05-09, 01:10 PM
great write up!! cars running good then?

Saloony
10-05-09, 01:12 PM
'Greatest writer of fiction' i wear that title well i think, along with director lol

Was a good crack, along with mucho wheel spin and gearbox munchage lol

BIGS
10-05-09, 01:17 PM
Great write up bud, sounds like you had a great day!

General Baxter
10-05-09, 01:20 PM
no photos ?

Jack
10-05-09, 01:22 PM
What was I going to take pictures of? I was driving most of the day lol

Although an immense photo opportunity was lost of me and Lee in the "MOT viewing area" :D

Lee
10-05-09, 02:47 PM
Craigs MOT viewing area could double as somewhere to store a couple of pairs of shoes lol

Im well chuffed the car is reliable, despite the gearbox is pretty much ready to fall out, but due to the complete mess the doner car was in I had no chance to give it a proper test before it was put in the saloon, so another gearbox will have to be bunged in before PV methinks :(

Sloth
10-05-09, 05:01 PM
sounds fun lads. hope it doesnt spit cogs everywhere soon. whats the box thats in it?

Lee
10-05-09, 05:02 PM
A very early F20 with the chunky clutch arm

craig green
10-05-09, 05:08 PM
/\ I know for one of those!

Sounds good RJ, what kind of economy have you been getting for your 300miles then?

I don't envy you though, I find it far from relaxing, driving a Nova after half of it's mechanicals have just been refitted.

Good hear its being shaken down though. I've been doing the same all weekend.

Saloony
10-05-09, 07:40 PM
Craigs MOT viewing area could double as somewhere to store a couple of pairs of shoes lol

lol remember i had to tell you it was there as there was no properly appointed sign in the office :roll:

Was class to see the boys had a good giggle. I very nearly cum over the zorst, what a sexual bit of pipage.

Lee
10-05-09, 07:42 PM
Indeedy, Infinity pulled off another blinder there.

Mike
10-05-09, 07:45 PM
Whats its like to drive Jack/Lee? Im so tempted to build one but using the 12volt shell. Temptation to build another car is so fecking strong at the mo!

Lee
10-05-09, 07:49 PM
Surprisingly good. The torque makes it sooo driveable. One example was going up a hoofing great hill near on 1:2 gradient. 5th gear at 40mph, jack just floored it and it pulled like its in first lol

Torque steer is the achilles heel, but ive a feeling the diff in this box is pretty much finished, plus the tracking needs setting properly, I think its a few degrees out.

Id like to give it a go round a circuit but it needs a box first, and then I need to convince Jack its a good idea LOL

MK999
10-05-09, 08:11 PM
... and then I need to convince Jack its a good idea LOL

You wired up the immobiliser right? shouldn't be too hard to sort a trip out for the day lol

Spudly
10-05-09, 08:13 PM
Cool write up jack sounds like its all good then, methinks we should start a collection to send lee round a track in her to see what she will do:thumb:

Mike
10-05-09, 10:24 PM
to see what she will do:thumb:

My monies on continue in a straight line at the first sight of a corner lol :thumb:

draper
10-05-09, 10:26 PM
my monies on break

mowgli
10-05-09, 10:30 PM
my money is on: backwards into something

BIGS
10-05-09, 10:34 PM
my money is on: backwards into something

Your joking that means it will have to turn at some point lol

Jack
10-05-09, 10:45 PM
Well boys and girls, chalk up another 300 miles. Just took an Ale run down to the Blue in Helston (Craig, AndyL, Spud; a bottle each incoming at national day :cool:) with no issues at all.

5th gear nearly all the way (25mph to 80mph without changing gear FTW) and keeping a healthy slightly-over-legal speed on the main roads there and back. For reference, an Impreza STi is slower than a V6 Nova. Harrr lol

Or a pair of homos lol

Sounds good RJ, what kind of economy have you been getting for your 300miles then?
Errrm about 22mpg by my reckoning. Which makes it less efficient than the Celica, whoops lol

Whats its like to drive Jack/Lee?
Fantastic, much much better than an XE. May not be stunningly faster, and probably doesn't handle as well, BUT being able to plant your foot from 30mph in 5th and the car lunges forward all the way to whatever speed it tops out at is brilliant. Plus the 6 cylinder roar... :D

Id like to give it a go round a circuit but it needs a box first, and then I need to convince Jack its a good idea LOL
You carry on, just remember there's more cylinders so you'll need a larger dustpan when you make them all fall out :p

Saloony
10-05-09, 10:56 PM
I was majorly impressed on how it drove. I expected it to be a right pigs ear, but it wasnt. Most suprisingly was how comfortably the engine set in there, other than the huge inlet it looks right at home.

Lee
10-05-09, 11:02 PM
I was majorly impressed on how it drove.

Impossible, it doesnt have rose joints!!! lol

Saloony
10-05-09, 11:08 PM
Impossible, it doesnt have rose joints!!! lol

lol tit, anything with 6sixcylinders drives lovely in my book... proper. Im just gutted his steering is lighter than mine.. no fair

Lee
10-05-09, 11:13 PM
Well you do have a steering wheel that makes a 10p look like a beach ball! lol

Sloth
10-05-09, 11:17 PM
i have a feeling round a track it may give a std xe a good beating. qtr mile times anyone?

Jack
10-05-09, 11:17 PM
Light steering and comfortable ride is clearly down to my superior choice of tyre size

i have a feeling round a track it may give a std xe a good beating. qtr mile times anyone?
Doubt it, as the handling will be awful. And qtr mile it will just munch tyres. Its driveability I'm after, and its driveability I have.

Sloth
10-05-09, 11:29 PM
Doubt it, as the handling will be awful. And qtr mile it will just munch tyres. Its driveability I'm after, and its driveability I have.

whack some cheap part worn slicks on it fer qtr miling, and have fun. if you have the right susp setup it should handle, i thought we worked out it wasnt that much heavier than the xe?

Jack
10-05-09, 11:31 PM
its not, but consider the weight distribution. Its got coilovers on the front, tbh the suspension is pretty good, but if you spent the same time and effort on an XE it will always handle better.

Sloth
10-05-09, 11:45 PM
are you throwing a gauntlet down there?

Jack
10-05-09, 11:51 PM
Throwing the gauntlet down by saying an XE would handle better? Is that not like punching oneself in the nuts?

Its a roadcar first and foremost. If I seriously wanted to track it, I'd spend money on it, have Lee and Dan give it a seeing to, and ditch the interior. I don't, so I haven't.

Steve
11-05-09, 12:19 AM
From what I read in that other v6 thread the handling between v6 and xe is alot different, i'd be blaming those balloon tyres jack lol

Riggy
11-05-09, 09:37 AM
good stuff jack , goin to have a good look round this at national day , i have loads of fun memories from killing cars in this saloon with rexton lol

Lee
11-05-09, 10:27 AM
its not, but consider the weight distribution.

Exactly, the front bank almost hangs right over the front crossmember. Not good at all lol

I still want to try it on track though to get a good perspective as you'll never get the best idea on the road unles your an idiot, which neither of us are (most of the time lol)

Andy_L
12-05-09, 12:48 PM
Well boys and girls, chalk up another 300 miles. Just took an Ale run down to the Blue in Helston (Craig, AndyL, Spud; a bottle each incoming at national day :cool:) with no issues at all.

+rep'd for the bottle

I won't be at the national day though :cry:I'm in West Wales for a wedding.

Cheers though :thumb:

Jack
12-05-09, 02:04 PM
Poo. I'll drink it for you then lol

Spudly
12-05-09, 06:30 PM
Poo. I'll drink it for you then lol

Ill help to consume it aswell mr jack:thumb:

Ernie
12-05-09, 10:28 PM
And me lol.

Spudly
12-05-09, 10:29 PM
Lol its gonna be a fight to releive jack of his alcohol goodness, or just a drunken mess about methinks lol

Ernie
12-05-09, 10:31 PM
the later sounds good to me.

Spudly
12-05-09, 10:33 PM
Aye me too will be good to catch up with peeps that ive A, not seen since karting and B. chatted sooo much bobbins too whilst online lol

Think im getting mildly excited lmao:thumb:

Andy_L
13-05-09, 11:00 AM
Pics of you lot drinking my drink or............(insert empty threat)