PDA

View Full Version : Help Nova C20XE Conversion Mission

dsytchov
09-05-09, 11:21 PM
Hi we are planning on putting a c20xe into a Nova diesel van, we need to know and see pictures of body reinforcement and engine mount as we have seen so many different ways of doing it, we need the quickest and easyest method. We can manufacture any component but need to know where to weld them to. We are planning on completing this before the PV show in june if it possible.

Any help will be greatly apreciated as we are first timers. Cheers

Nobby
10-05-09, 10:30 AM
use the search mate this has been asked many many times.

Off the top of my head, the derv o/s mount os differnet and i asume some of the coolant pipes are, the shell doesnt really need seam welding unless going on track however there are lots of chassis kits avaliable id try Chris Astley Motorsport you can find them via this site or google.

gaznovalet
10-05-09, 11:57 AM
i fitted a c20xe into a mk4 astravan as a quik job to sell it. i didnt change tank i just drained it and flushed thruw with an external redtop fuel pump, fitted mine at rear of van but if doing this you need high pressure fuel lines or sometimes pumps are mounted in engine bay as only the pipe after pump needs to be high pressure this is easiest way, sum diesel shafts are same as gte/gsi 22 spline but not all of them i dont know why, if yours are then you can get away with using your hubs and outer cv joints mated up to mk2 cav 1.6 inner cv joints as these were the first big block gearboxes running f16s with smaller shafts. then wen engine is in all you need to run it is switched 12v supply to ecu, blue/red wire to the fuel pump, switched live from vans loom to the starter and earth from box to chassis. then just leaves oil temp, oil pressure, rev counter etc to wire up to your van. hope that helps and welcome to png, hope yous get it done in time.

dsytchov
10-05-09, 04:57 PM
ow right so i dont need to weld the seems and i dont need to use a chassis kit just lower the o/s mount about 40mm and weld in the new mount on the n/s. well thats what iv herd anyway. what about the gearbox mount can i take it off the other box and bolt it on mine. ow and its a f20 box not f16 so will the drivshafts still work.

p.s i still need a fue bits if anybodys got anything kickin about. flywheel, starter, cluch and the plonker i got the box off got nosey and took the end plate off the gearbox and lost the bolts does anybody know what size bolts thay should be.

also where in west sussex so if anybody whos done this before and is not far away i was woundring if thay felt like shearing some divine insprition and givein me a hand

gaznovalet
11-05-09, 12:59 AM
its recomended to stitch weld the engine bay if nova is intended for a hard life ie tracks but just for evryday sensible driving if you have a good solid bay you can get away without welding it, make sure you use a single crank pulley and single v belt alternator pulley in a nova for chassis clearence and on the driverside chassis leg you need to modify it to accept alternator or it will hit, ther is 2 ways of doing this either properly via cutting a piece out and welding a plate back in or the quik and easy way is take a mel hammer to it and bash it in. the original nova gearbox mounts are used with f20 box and will bolt straight up, some people use rear box spacers but again for quikness you can just grind the lip off the actual mount so that it bolts nicely upto the engine and just adjust the linkage, front mount doesnt require welding as you can buy them ready made and just bolt straight up infact i have one for an early xe engine. mk2 cav 1.6 inner cv joints are for big block so will work with f16, f18 and f20 boxes. the end bolts for the gearbox plate that you are missing are mixed some are 11mm and some are 13mm.

gavint5
11-05-09, 04:39 PM
i think gaz has covered nearly everything mate. use the mel and dont worry about it as the crossmember keeps the front end straight and true so what your doing wont mek a difference. change the tank for a gsi tank as it has a swill pot in their but if on the cheap then use a cav 2litre in tank pump and take off the little filter so it goes into the deisel tank. luckily you have the two lines in the deisel tank so its not a bad one to use as you dont have to braid in an extra pipe. i dunno what shafts you can use as i have been tol d a couple days ago deisel shafts marry up to the mk2 1600 inner cv joints??? can anyone verify this????? please cos this will save me a few pound aswell lol

good luck mate

dsytchov
11-05-09, 10:49 PM
great im not as lost as i wos a couple of days ago there is another thing the engine iv got has a power stering pump is it just a fact of takeing it off and getting a shorter belt and also iv never striped a driveshaft before is it hard is there any specfic tools i might need

gavint5
11-05-09, 11:59 PM
you could do with a bench and vice to put the shaft in but a flat headed screwdriver to open the clip is all thats needed. rubber gloves are an absolute must forthis job though mate and id have a few pairs and change em everytime ya need to touch anything clean! this is the dirtiest job there is on any vehicle!!!!

have some baby wipes there to wipe your tools clean after aswell or you'll be manky as soon as you next touch em!

gaznovalet
12-05-09, 12:54 AM
as said by gavin dont forget the gloves for these as the cv grease gets evrywhere, just reomve the rubber boot on the shaft, clean up the grease so you can see where the actual shaft goes thruw the bearing cage and look carefuly and find the circlip holding it in , open the circlip up and knock the cv joint off the shaft with a hammer. and yes take power steering pump off as dont get used in your nova, if you have a twin v belt bottom pulley these can be machined or ground down to run single pulley but dont go bezerk with grinder as they have a rubber seal holding the middle part together and you dont want to disturb that as they can weaken and warp under pressure wen running on car. just get stuck into it mate and if you hit any problems pm me your mobile number and i will ring you.

dsytchov
12-05-09, 07:07 PM
thats cool i think thats all then. iv just got to get hold of a flywheel, cluch and starter. do you think an eco tech engines flywheel and strter are the same. if so il get them and im ready to go. how long do you reacon it will take a long weekend? or shuld i sort out another car for a bit

ow by the way the belt is there such a thing as a lower model engine with out power stering which has a shorter belt or do i run the belt i have a different way.

gavint5
13-05-09, 02:33 AM
yer some xe's had no power steering theres several diffferent ones mate. there all basically the same but slight modifications or different specs if you get one from a calibra with a coil pack and the 3bar fuel rail your laughing. the v pulley is a nice easy job with a grinder and a very thin cutting disk. dnt be a cheap **** spend the extra 70 pence and get a good disk. one should do the job. be carefull as already warned with the rubber band too.
dunno about the flywheel but i cant see any reason why the starter wont marry up as the same gearbox's are used. someone on here should be able to answer the rest.

Top tip! go have a look at a petrol nova in the scrapheap and see where there o/s engine mount sits on the chassis leg. take a couple measurements so you are sure before moving your deisel ones.

if you get absolutely everything sorted then your first conversion should take you two days. my mate after talking to several of us done his first into a petrol corsa in 6 hours but he is a hgv mechanic and has a good garage at home. he also had no car and lives out in the sticks! so had the motivation to get it done lol

gavint5
13-05-09, 02:39 AM
somebody rep this man for asking all the right questions! he clearly has a clue of what to do and has considered it all before checking with us lot and he hasnt asked anything daft. i like him and look forward to seeing this knocked together.

gaznovalet
13-05-09, 11:41 AM
unsure if ecotec flywheel wud fit cos if its like the 8v ones it will only be 6 bolt instead of 8 bolt like the redtop so the starter wud depend on this aswell down to the teeth. and as you say gavin he is keen and wish him all the luck on getting the conversion done, and if all parts needed are there easy done in a full weekend. will be good to see and hear its done.

dsytchov
13-05-09, 08:45 PM
well thank you guys so much iv got quite a lot of work on at the min so il have to wait till the weekend till i can get down the scrap yard but once iv got all the bits together i keep you up dated also iv got my old sr which the rott got which i havent been able to let go. and whats left of it i should be able to get the measurments. and dont worry just in case last week i got my work to order me 25 extra silm cutting disks so in all set

thank you all so much and il keep in tuch

napalm_27
13-05-09, 08:48 PM
eco ane xe flywheels are different mate
the starters may be the same but im not sure

gaznovalet
13-05-09, 09:31 PM
well thank you guys so much iv got quite a lot of work on at the min so il have to wait till the weekend till i can get down the scrap yard but once iv got all the bits together i keep you up dated also iv got my old sr which the rott got which i havent been able to let go. and whats left of it i should be able to get the measurments. and dont worry just in case last week i got my work to order me 25 extra silm cutting disks so in all set

thank you all so much and il keep in tuch
your welcome fellow nova nut we are here to help pal :thumb:

gavint5
14-05-09, 12:17 AM
im on with the same job today i went to the scrapheap and got an in tank fuel pump from a 2litr 8 valve astra and im pretty sure its slightly stubbier than oothers we have used and im pretty sure it will go in with the filter attatched ;) also got a water bottle to sit on the near side chassis leg. these have the two pipes attatched as required for the conversion. you may be able to take one from your old nova???