PDA

View Full Version : HELP Please xe trouble !

jayme taylor
09-05-09, 10:47 PM
Ive Just rebuilt my xe new head gasket all new seals new water pump and oil pump etc etc

Now the problem! Ive set the cam belt to the all the marks so the timing should all be right but its not turning over completely, it goes so far and then hits big resistance as if the valves will hit the pistons due to the timing being out.

Can any one help, i need to know if the inlet and outlet cam pulleys are identical parts or if there is any slight differences that may be causing this to happen.

Also does anyone know how many teeth should be on the belt for an early flat teeth xe, mine has 141 teeth.

Please shout up if anyone has any info or ideas as im pulling my hair out (dont have much left as it is!) been out in the garage for 14 hours today feel like i've run into a brick wall!:tard: :cry:

Lee
09-05-09, 11:05 PM
XE's are pretty high compression, and on each stroke it might feel to you like the engine is seizing, but its not :)

You should get a 'wheeze' as you pass each compression stroke. It feels stiff but it will turn over with a bit of elbow grease .

Adam
09-05-09, 11:17 PM
Are the cam marks pointing to the camcover cutouts?
And the crank sprocket indent pointing down to the cutout on the oil pump?

You know if youve got the right belt because the teeth shape differ to the later belts.

gaznovalet
09-05-09, 11:21 PM
jayme 141 teeth on early round tooth belts and 176 teeth on later square tooth belts, pm replied

jayme taylor
09-05-09, 11:22 PM
cams marks are spot on ,
the crank sprocket ive been setting it to the the pin thats the top and to the right a bit !

gaznovalet
09-05-09, 11:24 PM
both pulleys are same aswell on inlet cam and outlet both shud have 42 teeth iirc

Lee
The pin lines up to a notch on the alternator pulley, NOT the mark on the crank cam belt pulley. As Ad said, the crank pulley mark should point to 6 o clock.

jayme taylor
XE's are pretty high compression, and on each stroke it might feel to you like the engine is seizing, but its not :)

You should get a 'wheeze' as you pass each compression stroke. It feels stiff but it will turn over with a bit of elbow grease .

im scared of bending the valves or damaging a piston

jayme taylor
09-05-09, 11:27 PM
Is there any difference between the cam pulleys ?

Lee
09-05-09, 11:29 PM
No, they are both the same and the crank pulley has an asymetrical hole pattern so you can only put it on one way.

If you have the ALTERNATOR pulley lined up to the pin (although you should really do it using the crank pulley with the alt pulley off) and the cam marks all lined up im still convinced the compression is scaring you lol

jayme taylor
09-05-09, 11:35 PM
but i thought if the plugs are out there shouldnt be that much compression ? it really doesnt feel like it wants to turn over when the valves are just opening !

Lee
09-05-09, 11:38 PM
You never said the plugs were out!

Answer this. Have you set the ALTERNATOR PULLEY or the CRANK SPROKET to the pin which is at about 2 o clock?

jayme taylor
09-05-09, 11:41 PM
yeah the bottom pulley is set to the pin

Adam
09-05-09, 11:46 PM
Id wip the pully off and look at the crank sprocket itself...
Never trust that pully because its two pieces bonded together, so the outer bit can spin from the inner bit, which means the timing mark on it becomes nonsense.

Always use the sprocket cutout.

Lee
09-05-09, 11:47 PM
Take the alternator pulley off, and check the crank sproket lines up with the notch on the oil pump casing.

Lee
09-05-09, 11:47 PM
Damn this slow connection lol

jayme taylor
09-05-09, 11:48 PM
ill pop and check now 2 mins

Adam
09-05-09, 11:55 PM
Damn this slow connection lol
Ditto that! lol
Mobile broadband :roll: :roll:

jayme taylor
09-05-09, 11:56 PM
BINGO !!!! Just lined it up with the alternator pulley , then took it off and the notch was at 90 deg out approx !

Lee
10-05-09, 12:00 AM
Schweet :)

jayme taylor
10-05-09, 12:03 AM
BIG THANKS to lee and adam from my missis lol , she said thank god im going to let her go sleep now !

Adam
10-05-09, 06:36 AM
BINGO !!!! Just lined it up with the alternator pulley , then took it off and the notch was at 90 deg out approx !
;)

It looks like Lee and I just saved your valves! lol

Thats why you should never go by that alt pully notch. :thumb:

jayme taylor
10-05-09, 01:27 PM
cheers again pal , didnt think that pully could be that much out ,