PDA

View Full Version : big valve head with chips to the face.

gaznovalet
09-05-09, 08:15 PM
getting evrything sorted for a huge clearout of my xe and let parts i dug out a head, the head is a big valve head with oversize inlet and outlet valves.
however the face of the head has many chips in it, any advice to wether this is any good or not apreciated, thers quite a few chips in some places but wonder if wen fitted wud headgasket compensate for the chips, wud these affect the heads performance or does the head go into the bin? cud get it skimmed but sum of the chips seem quite deep and unsure they wud go via a skim. here is a quik picture of some of the chips.:thumb:
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/cossiegaz_2009/DSC00732.jpg

mikey14sr
09-05-09, 09:00 PM
That looks like it's had bit of valves mashed into it in a previous life then skimmed up.

Looks like it's all within the limits of the bores though, so it should be fine to use.

philip
09-05-09, 09:11 PM
looks alot more like DET. just get a headgasket and check there within the firering which id say they were.

so shouldnt have any problems with the head

what spec is the head matey, and what you looking for it? pm if can.

mayhem
09-05-09, 10:26 PM
i have a head laying around like that, got told that is was detonation damage.

the said the could weld them up and skimm the head again.

philip
09-05-09, 10:41 PM
dont HAVE to weld it up tbh, depends how bad it is imo.

mayhem - how bad was your head?

gaz - need empyt ya pm box. but as for the head, i skimmed one worse the other day. i wouldnt use yours on an LET ever as had way too much skimmed off it and CR would be way to high for a turbo, but for an XE it should be ok.

gaznovalet
10-05-09, 12:43 PM
cheers for the replys, its now going on a frends xe as it has a blown headgasket just wanted to confirm it wud be fit for purpose, have fitted a headgasket around the head and the marks seem within the bore limits. mailbox now cleared philip thanks.

philip
10-05-09, 01:35 PM
no probs matey, you've seen reply above. would of been caused by poor fuelling, but yeah it'll be ok on ya mates xe

mayhem
10-05-09, 06:28 PM
dont HAVE to weld it up tbh, depends how bad it is imo.

mayhem - how bad was your head?

gaz - need empyt ya pm box. but as for the head, i skimmed one worse the other day. i wouldnt use yours on an LET ever as had way too much skimmed off it and CR would be way to high for a turbo, but for an XE it should be ok.

not so bad, its more than this one, but not as deep. and on 1 or 2 cilinders

could this come from running to long with headgasket failure? i bought an XE cheap as fook, with a new headgasket.. took the head of to check, and the detonated cilinder has a very clean piston..

i'll take a pic tonight, there's also something with the inlet valves im not sure of.