PDA

View Full Version : MOT Time

phazer
09-05-09, 03:37 PM
Well today was time to MOT the Nova, it expired last month but didn't get chance to take it for one reason or another.

Thanks to a right monkey who doesn't know his MOT from his elbow I didn't even get as far as a test - he stopped it at the emissions stage.

I saw him doing a cat test, rev'd it to 7k for about 5 minutes, presumably to heat up the non existant cat....then messed about revving the tits off it for ages. I could see he couldn't get all three boxes on the computer to go green.

He called me out and told me it failed on emissions, I asked what he'd tested it as - he told me it's all done on engine number (i.e code), I asked him which Nova engine he thought he was testing then. Showed me the book and pointed to 'C16SE'. I said errmm it doesn't have a Nova engine, I've never had a cat test here or at vauxhall and this engine has been in for at least 5 years. After much blabbing about how VOSA were cracking down on modified cars and that he can't get his own Subarau through an mot he found the 'right' engine in the book, yup a C16XE and he'd checked the code on the head too. So again I said nope it's an X16XE, pointed to it and he took this to mean he tests the car as a 1995 Corsa...what a knob. Off he went to phone Vosa...meanwhile he's left the gas analyser running so I have a look and get the following values:

CO = 0.6
HC = 112
Lambda 0.99-1.01

So it's 0.3 on CO from passing a cat test anyway and will piss a standard test.

So he comes back and tells me that he's got to stop the test and I've got to get proof of what the engine came out of and what year it is....so I pointed out that the engine is newer than the car so firstly its whichever is older and that if he looked at the flow chart he'd see that a car with an engine in that Vauxhall didn't fit cannot be tested under the tightest emissions.

Then he tells me that the rules changed last August and that the flow chart was no longer valid.

I didn't have to pay which was a bonus as when I got home I phoned Vosa and they pretty much laughed at what he'd said. :roll:

So, if you've got a post august 92 Nova and you fit an engine that Vauxhall never manufacturered the car with then it can only ever have the fall back basic emissions test regardless of whether it had a cat at the factory, does now or otherwise- as I've always said.

The rules ain't changed and the 'new' MOT book still has the flow diagram. Vosa told me he needed to read his testers manual lol

I rang the guy and told him what VOSA had said and his reply? 'Well they told me different, come back down and if they've told me wrong then I'll make a complaint'. I told him I can't drive willy nilly with an expired MOT to which he said 'oh yeaaah'. Funk me what a total knobber.

Anyway rant over...good news is the brake test was ok (I changed the lines over xmas), just a rush to get ready for Swad next week end now :(

novasaloon1984
09-05-09, 03:42 PM
i have mine to worry about after a year of being off the road

keithrg
09-05-09, 08:27 PM
Some of these testers are just clue less. I had an import and it does not have an ABS light, you have to do a diagnostic test to check it, To this you need to now its morse code. I was lucky and they new this so just passed it. Others oftern fail the cars for this.

General Baxter
09-05-09, 08:31 PM
throw them £5 like i do lol

phazer
10-05-09, 01:09 AM
All the money in the world wouldn't sort this guy - looked like he had a chip on his shoulder from the off.

I wouldn't mind but I've used this place for 7 years and the engine has been in for 5+ years and never had a problem. This guy was clearly an arsehole.

It's going on Tues to another place so fingers crossed the national day is still on :)

~~joycey~~
10-05-09, 01:44 AM
Wot a :tosser:

Novaboi_1991
10-05-09, 02:25 AM
they rev it to 7k? i was watching my local station do a mot the other day whilst waiting for them to take a tyre off, and he stuck the rod in the exhaust, took the reading an that was it?

didnt rev it at all,

Adam
10-05-09, 06:29 AM
As Phazer said, they rev the tits off it to warm the cat...
They had to do that with mine...

What year is the car?

And aye, if it doesnt have a std nova engine fitted then it should be run on a old non cat test. I guarantee 95% of places wont though, they see K plates and put them straight on a cat test....
Had that problem for the last 3 years with my old shell..... I even printed the flowchart off and highlighted the point in question, to which he replied "im the tester and wont go on what you sayd....."

Some testers are right to**ers i tell thee. Ive yet to meet any mot tester thats a sound guy.....

skidmarkz
10-05-09, 07:21 AM
lol nobber!

my local tester takes the analyzer out waves it around for 2 mins then puts it back in :) gotta love throttle bodies hahah

Nobby
10-05-09, 10:24 AM
at my work for my xe we found that a Nissan Sunny gives mint results!! :D

Saloony
10-05-09, 10:39 AM
In theory no tester should be revving an engine that high to get the cat hot or not. Rev to half the maximum engine revs... so about 3000rpm... to purge the system.

And anyway, whats older, newer, engine old blah blah is old hat, Ameture/kit cars FTW!!

phazer
10-05-09, 11:34 AM
He had no answer as to why he was revving it, said it wasn't part of the test - so I asked if he was doing it to warm the cat - he nodded....when I told him all he would achieve is engine damage and sooting the plugs and that there was no cat he changed the subject.

I've never had anything like it. Ah well lesson learnt, it's cost the place three MOT's each year and other family members.

Daft thing is, it's running almost as clean as our pre-cat/cat corsa, so it's not like the TB's have made it hard to pass emissions.

Adam: It was registered Jan 1993 on a K. It was listed as never needing a cat for years then VOSA updated the database so the C14SE and C16SE are now showing as requiring a cat test but that doesn't apply to mine as the original engine is no longer fitted. Even though the car falls into the mandatory cat age, the tester is unable to match the exact make, model and engine code therefore it is tested as if it had a cat, if it passes great, if not then the fallback test is done (how the vosa bloke explained it.)

7ova
10-05-09, 09:34 PM
good luck for tuesday :thumb:
let us know how you get on

phazer
12-05-09, 03:15 PM
Well I've been today and had the MOT done by a sound chap. It had the correct emmissions test and as expected it flew through that.

Unfortunately due to a rather tasty crack just behind the suspension turret it failed. Ooops lol

It's gone straight in to the bodyshop to get sorted but the race is on for the work and the re-test for the weekend.

Disappointed, but it was a fair mot and I'm glad it's come to light before I ripped the front end apart caning it up the strip at PVS. Everything else was a pass though.

Fingers crossed it'll be done for the National Day.

Jack
12-05-09, 03:48 PM
Some testers are right to**ers i tell thee. Ive yet to meet any mot tester thats a sound guy.....
I recommend Craig :D

In fact, I think I've been pretty lucky with MOTs as far as I can remember (local Mr T aside). I used to go to a local village garage, never had any problems there and the guy would happily do free retests on fails a day or two later. The Celica gets done at FCM in Bristol, and has no issues with its decat :cool: and the Nova went to Craig's last weekend and was fine. In fact I think the V6 emissions would have passed an early test too lol

However, as Craig has said many a time, the MOT guidelines can accomodate combinations of Nova + engine that didn't roll out the factory.

phazer
15-05-09, 01:43 PM
Now have a years ticket :D

The bodyshop have done a top job, it looks factory.

Just the errm weather to deal with :roll: