PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bay Welding!

andy_017
07-05-09, 04:11 PM
What would people do,

I've got a really really tidy mk1 shell and it seems such a shame to weld (strenghten) the engine bay up as the bay is immaculate,

I'm fitting an xe and don't really have any plans to fit a let in the future,the car won't be used on track and doesn't get driven particularly hard,do I need to get the bay strengthened?

Opinions please?

16v Nova Kev
07-05-09, 04:13 PM
dont weld it or xe it if its that tidy mate

Pistol Pete
07-05-09, 04:13 PM
If it is a tidy un rusty shell (pics or GTFO lol) then i guess you could go without.

AlexW
07-05-09, 04:14 PM
Some will say no, some will say yes. IMO as long as the shell isnt rotten or getting tracked then theres no real need.

Just my 2pence.

let_nova
07-05-09, 04:14 PM
if its not driven hard whats the point? keep it as is

Lee H
07-05-09, 04:15 PM
If you are going to drive it like a girl why bother fitting an xe?

draper
if its not driven hard whats the point? keep it as is

lol :thumb:

let_nova
lol AW06 your not in the club lollollollol

BIGS
07-05-09, 04:16 PM
Depends ill say how you drive. I would do it myself. but then benn hasnt welded his and he has had a xe in his for years

Matt
07-05-09, 04:18 PM
You'll probs be fine if it's not going to be used in anger. If the shell is mint/ completely solid it should hold up ok. It's definately reccomended to stitch weld/ strengthen the bay though. Can paint over the stitch welds with sealer to hide them if you want. Any welding will then be virtualliy invisible and the bay should maintain a factory look.

Jack
07-05-09, 04:46 PM
^ Ideal.

TBH I don't care how the car is driven, I'd weld it. Better to be safe than sorry.

SRimon
07-05-09, 05:02 PM
Depends ill say how you drive. I would do it myself. but then benn hasnt welded his and he has had a xe in his for years

Benn as in Arden Blue Benn?

His is welded.

BIGS
07-05-09, 05:04 PM
Oh in that cass someone else on here hasnt

Dan
07-05-09, 05:20 PM
tbh andy its abit of a marmite question, Obv i know this shell very well and if it were me i would be having exactly the same thought issues.

If the welding was really really tidy it can sometimes look the part once sealed and painted properly, but as you say for pootling around in it may not be an issue and theres nothing to say you cant just slap the engine out at a later date and weld it one weekend. The joints are very clean so any movement would be clear to see if watched

Lee H
07-05-09, 05:22 PM
Also car will still need paint after you have done the chassis leg mod.

The Simps
07-05-09, 05:54 PM
From a re-saleability later on it would be better to weld it.

Ernie
07-05-09, 06:05 PM
Mark Watts old nova was never seam stitched in the bay and that run a let.
Mine has been done as it gets driven in anger most times it's out the garage lol.
If you do get it done make sure its a nice weld or will mess the look of the car imho.

andy_017
08-05-09, 12:37 PM
Seems to be quite a divided opinion about this which I thought it would be!

There's a chap local to me who does a lot of fabricating on roll cages for his 4 x 4's! I've showed him pics of what I want and he's said he can do it!

So look out for a post in my project thread at the beginning of June as that's when it's booked in:cool:

The Simps
08-05-09, 01:10 PM
Good decision.

GRUNT 16V
08-05-09, 01:14 PM
Just Do It!!!!!!!

craig green
08-05-09, 01:15 PM
Some will say no, some will say yes. IMO as long as the shell isnt rotten or getting tracked then theres no real need.

Just my 2pence.

I'm inclined to agree. I think all Novas benefit from the strengthening etc, but if it is 'that' clean & you don't rag the nutts off of it, it will be fine. It would be a shame to burn all the nice paint 7 metal etc. Only for rust to begin its trail around the bay & seams in a year or two's time.

Your decision at the end of the day. If a job is worth doing, do it right..;)

auzzy-b
08-05-09, 01:23 PM
i would denfinetly weld it since your putting an xe in, not worth risking having to weld it up later on.... plus once you have got the engine in youll probably be to tempted to blast it every now and againlol its not to difficult to do:)

loggyboy
08-05-09, 01:37 PM
if its being bigblocked then you gonna have to do the chassis mod which is gonna mess up the orginality anyway.
Weld away!

also - who 'pootles' in a redtopped nova, if your pootling you may as well stick a nippy small block in it and save the hassles!

andy_017
08-05-09, 02:50 PM
welding ftw I think!

Pistol Pete
08-05-09, 04:20 PM
Not driving an XE powered Nova hard, FTL i think lol