PDA

View Full Version : psiton mark on let?

tony k
07-05-09, 10:45 AM
i was down my garage last night,just for about half hour,just to turn my engine over by hand,as it has been rebuilt about a year ago,anyway i took the plugs out as you do and shined my torch down the bores,and noticed on piston 2 there is a slight mark on it its not a valve mark it,its a line across a quarter of it,will this still be okay or do you reckon it needs a new piston,plus i cant go back to the person who built it dont really wanna say.long story

will try get a picture of it tonight as my phone aint got a light on it to take a photo

tony k
07-05-09, 10:37 PM
these are the best pics i could get,cant find my camera,plus my phone aint got a flash on the camera,was doing this with a torch shining down the bore,getting a camera off my mate tomorrow,see if i can get a better picture

these are the best pics out the lot,theres a mark on the left hand its a line about quater inch long
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/tonysturbonova/Image0005.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/tonysturbonova/Image0004.jpg

philip
07-05-09, 11:13 PM
does it fuel properly? just looks like could be det?

even though they say a picture apints a thousand words...its very hard to tel without the head off tbh.

craig green
07-05-09, 11:15 PM
Poor pics anyhow but I can see something accross the piston.

If it has suffered some DET, it's not necessarily the engine builders fault. be sure to find the cause before slipping in a new piston 7 letting it happen again.

tony k
08-05-09, 11:16 AM
forgot to put down the engine has never been started its been sitting around for a year,as had other things to deal with im hoping it wont need a new piston,as not got the money to get it done as moving soon,my other option if it does need a new one i might have to go back to a n/a instead with throttle bodies,as all my turbo and bits will pay have towards it if i decide to go down that route,i know it will need different pistons but can get them cheap,also with the cams

craig green
08-05-09, 11:38 AM
Could it not be a hair or something ontop the piston??? Maybe try & fish it out with a bit of sticky tape..

Or tap it with something & listen for a rattle which might indicate its a crack.

Gutted for you.

tony k
08-05-09, 12:02 PM
it aint a hair you can see it by eye its like a scrape on it,its got a mark just near the middle its like,my spark plug or something has just touch it,im gonna try get a better pic with my mates camera,as my phones one is pants lol

Geordie-Chris
08-05-09, 12:43 PM
Doubt the spark plug could put such a big mark on it. It looks just like a scratch from where someones cleaned the tops of the pistons. Were they brand new pistons, or just the old ones cleaned up?
To me it looks like nowt to worry about it, I'd fire it up and see how it goes.

tony k
08-05-09, 01:41 PM
thats what im hoping it is just a scratch,there brand new pistons as you said it might just be a scratch,im trying to get my mate round for a second opinion

Rick Draper
08-05-09, 01:44 PM
If they are brand new pistons it certainly looks like it has been used....

tony k
08-05-09, 01:49 PM
he showed me my old ones,they where f*****,i shouldnt think they would use old ones as of there reputation i aint gonna write there name,as dont wanna cause anymore arguments as had a fall out withe them over somone else,its a long story,so if it is cracked what sort of price am i looking at to repalce them,as rather change the lot than just one

philip
08-05-09, 04:05 PM
it a Clet? sorry not read first post properly?

if XE then autosprint do a oversized mahle £248 i think, but then block bored...my mate charges £80, but may be more or less from by you.

or option of £500 for proper forged jobbies, either xe or LET

tony k
10-05-09, 02:36 PM
ive just spoke to one of my old mates about my engine,spoke to him about the scratch,he said if you can here grinding or anything or is it hard turn over by hand,i said no theres nothing,so he said my best bet is just take a chance see how it goes,so thats what im gonna do,if it does go bang then i will get it properly built next time