PDA

View Full Version : wheels rubbing still after cutting arch back!!

burgessovsalford
27-01-03, 03:26 PM
im running 15" TSW Alpines with 195/50 tyres. I've got my car lowered 40mm at the moment, but when I have a 3 or more in my car my arches rubs on the walls of my tyres :cry:

i've got cut the lip back nearly all the way, but its still touching every so often. Not sure what offset my wheels are but at a guess I would say they are et45 as they are not that far out.

Someone suggested that getting 195/45 tyres will solve my problem? Anyone know if it will before I go out an buy a set.

Fester
27-01-03, 05:25 PM
cant guarantee it will 100% solve the problem but it will definitely improve the situation

essexnova
27-01-03, 06:11 PM
hi mate. have TSW alpines aswell wiv 195/45/15 on my mark1 nova and the car is lowered 40mm. i haven't had the lip taken off (but i will soon). it only rubs sometimes wiv just me in it and most of the time wiv some1 else in it and no 1 in the back lol. :D

cheers

***ESSEXNOVA***

Will
27-01-03, 06:13 PM
wot offset are those wheels?

Dave
27-01-03, 06:21 PM
i'm running tsw fury 15's with the 195/45 tyre and lowered 60mm after a small amout of grinding and the use of a hammer to roll the arches up there is no rubbing at all!

essexnova
27-01-03, 06:33 PM
alpines are et45

burgessovsalford
28-01-03, 09:58 AM
[/quote]i'm running tsw fury 15's with the 195/45 tyre and lowered 60mm after a small amout of grinding and the use of a hammer to roll the arches up there is no rubbing at all!

Can you have a full car and it still get no rub??

burgessovsalford
28-01-03, 10:00 AM
fcuked the quote up...!

'white nova' can u get have a full car & still not get rubbing?

ade
28-01-03, 04:58 PM
is it rubbing on the tyre wall or the top outer edge of the tyre?

If its the top outer edge then it'll be the inner wall of the cars arch buffing - especially as the car is so low already - 3 peeps in the back wont help -may get away with some hammering on the inside (gentle hammering).

If its the tyre wall and youve ground most of the lip back, you could try gently hammering the inner arch outwards (apply a piece of flat wood to the outside) however be very gentle - it will take time.

Alternatively take it to a garage ?50 an arch.

Mine rub with no one in the back but my et's out (sure of it) - but then nothing goes in my rear anyway except shopping (boots full of sh1te!)

Ade
:D

Dave
30-01-03, 11:01 PM
i can get 3 people in the back no problem, and thats with a couple of 10'' subs in the boot! changin the wheels for 16's and the back is still fine just need to get the front done now

burgessovsalford
31-01-03, 11:04 AM
YEAH ITS ONLY THE TYRE WALLS THAT R RUBBING, GUNNA TRY AN KNOCK EM OUT A BIT...

PLUS A LOT AV TOLD ME I WILL AV PROBS WITH 195/50 TYRES ON THE BACK, SO GUNNA INVEST IN SOME SOON ASWELL.... BUT 45'S TYRES WALLS WILL STILL COME OUT ASMUCH AS 50'S WONT THEY?

Dave
31-01-03, 11:33 AM
BE CAREFUL WHEN DOIN THIS AS YOU CAN EASILY DAMAGE THE REAR QUARTER PANEL IF YOU HIT IT TOO HARD!

wisewood
31-01-03, 11:37 AM
yeah but the height of the wall will be less... so might not hit it.

Dave
31-01-03, 12:00 PM
HE'S GONNA USE A HAMMER SO HE BETTER HIT IT :!:

Aragorn
31-01-03, 02:34 PM
once thing to look at

what kinda tires are they

ive notice as have others that cheap tires tend to have very bulgy side wall profiles

the tires i have now are flat on the sides (BFGoodrich) as are most decent makes, the old ones were very bulgy and on astra GTE rims used to catch the inner arch wall and have rubbed a nice groove in the underseal on one side :D

im running now 6.5x15" ET38's on a 40mm drop

i have driven around with 2 in the back and a front passenger and dont get no rubbing (although there were slight rust lines on the tire when i stopped, so it must have been grazing over bumps) so im guessing 3 in the back would cause plenty of rubbing

but my arches aint modified in any way

just shows u how much better the nice round saloon/5door arches are eh?

i could prolly get ET45 17's on there with no mods at all :twisted:

so go buy a nice 5 door hatch or a saloon - and your probs will vanish :P