PDA

View Full Version : Virbations

BenyBoyGTE
27-01-03, 11:00 AM
Howdy all :D gettin a funny virbation though the steerin wheel & a bit though the front of the car, it doesent do it all the time like yesterday when i when 2 santa pod it was fine but lastnite when i took g/f home it was doin it :? the trackin + balacneing it fine only done 4weeks ago first of all we though it was a bit of weldin tht needed doin in iner wing sorted tht then front weel bearings done tht. eveything else is fine under there tyes etc cant find anything wrong with anything else its weird!! HELP cos it pissin me of :evil:

Aragorn
27-01-03, 11:45 AM
off the top of my head:

driveshaft torsional damper
a bearing (which uve said were replaced)
brake sticking?
wheel out of alignment with hub - ie no spigot rings
buckled wheel

only semi-likely one is the torsional damper but i doubt that would be intermittant

ade
27-01-03, 12:51 PM
if vibrations through steering when braking check track rod ends. Jack up car and wobble wheels back and forth. Mine failed mot due to drivers side being worn.

Vibrates when I got to about 50-60 then a regular thumping vibration when braking from similar speed.

Ade

BenyBoyGTE
27-01-03, 01:53 PM
new bearings done 3 days ago + new pads n' dics & overhalled the brakes, its been doin it since middle of noveber. me & my m8 who run a big repair workshop have been over the car bot 5 times since then & apart from what we have fixed we cant find nuffin wrong with it its all spot on. went out in it earler fine 2day!!

ade
27-01-03, 03:07 PM
has it been raining down your way?

I used to get vibrations through my wheels/through steering when excessive water got trapped between the pads and the discs - sounded like when you go over them little paint bumps on the hard shoulder of the motorway!

Dabbed the brakes and it went.

Whats the suspension/tie bars/anti roll bars like - check nothing loose (like a bracket on the front worn/come off etc)

BenyBoyGTE
27-01-03, 03:39 PM
As i seid all fine under there m8y nuffin is amiss!! :?

neiloakley
27-01-03, 04:18 PM
worn top mounts?

Aragorn
27-01-03, 04:59 PM
have u checked the torsional damper on the driveshaft?

u didnt say aye or nay

BenyBoyGTE
27-01-03, 05:27 PM
errrr :? sorry m8 not followin u....

Chris LR
27-01-03, 06:52 PM
Wheel balancing, Is the wheel firmly attached to the colum?

Or, has it been in a smash? mine was in 3 and vibrated all the while.

Aragorn
27-01-03, 08:59 PM
there should be a kinda weight attached to the middle of the offside driveshaft

it should be situated about 5" from the outer CV, if its not there or is in the wrong place u may experiance vibrations

also haynes points to fucked inner CV's or a distorted drive shaft for vibrations

could be worth picking up a set of shafts from a scrappy and swapping them over

BenyBoyGTE
27-01-03, 09:16 PM
cheers guys ill print this out in a minute so i dont 4get nuffin. ive got 2 have it in workshop nxtweek 4 speedo cable it snapped. DOH! :D

BenyBoyGTE
28-01-03, 01:22 PM
Had anuther talk with my m8 & the only think we can think of is 2 rotate the tyes frm front 2 bck. 8)

neiloakley
28-01-03, 02:05 PM
have you looked at the topmounts? That was the problem with mine

BenyBoyGTE
28-01-03, 03:47 PM
yup he seid as long as the top mounts r not cracked there fine & there is an sirton amount of movement anyway. they look fine.

Aragorn
28-01-03, 08:37 PM
umm ok are u totally ignoring me here??

CHECK THE SHAFTS, INNER CV's and the torsional damper

get a new set of shafts and throw em on - might not be any visible issues but the CV could be ready to collapse and u really dont want that to happen

its worth a try as u seem to be totally out of ideas elswhere

BenyBoyGTE
28-01-03, 10:13 PM
sorry no im not :oops: ive good anuther set ill try it.