PDA

View Full Version : Doors on a track car

BIGS
05-05-09, 10:43 PM
Ive seen a few people that cut the whole inside of the door away and not leaving the bit you pull to open the door. Now what do you do to open the door from the inside if you do this? :confused:

MK999
05-05-09, 10:47 PM
Was talking about this the other day with chimp... if you wanted to go extreme about it you can leave a short length of the mechanism to pull on, and leave the door cards off

Lynsey
05-05-09, 10:49 PM
Like Rob's VauxSport Astra? I don't have any photos but I'm sure you can find if you browse their site lol a bit EXTREEEEEEME

Spudly
05-05-09, 10:50 PM
Ive seen people use tiewraps and or string tbh you dont really need anything as you can get your hand into the mech from inside the door but its up to you, but having said that you will need something easily grabable in case of an emergency though!

MK999
05-05-09, 10:51 PM
I've always thought it would be pretty cool to have a car with welded on doors and perspex windows that clipped up/down to get in tbh lol

BIGS
05-05-09, 10:54 PM
I see what you mean. so you leave abit of wire there so you can open it from the outside and grab it from the inside?

But what about on carbon doors? would it be easy to fit the brackets to? The guy thats making them is making them so its like a doorcard was there all smooth if you get what i mean

gaznovalet
05-05-09, 10:56 PM
i done this to one of my old novas and didnt have nothing to pull to close it i just got my hand on the inside of door frame wot still remaind and pulled it closed by that, have however seen a mates car done where he used sum kind of little doorknob like from a bedroom or kitchen was just a small metal type either screwd or bolted on from homebase.

Spudly
Leave your external mech as it is cos that only has about an inch bar from the handle to mechanism so its only something to pull the linkage inside the door you need in place of the long bar to the handle!

fearless
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/fearlessmotorsport/Promrally2004006.jpg

Dave

BIGS
05-05-09, 10:58 PM
Cheers for the pic Dave thats a great help

MK999
05-05-09, 10:58 PM
^^^^ that seems a little pointless to me, why cut it all out then weld it back in a less convenient arrangement? :confused:

gaznovalet
05-05-09, 10:59 PM
to open it again to get out of the car just use as stated above piece of metal wire or cable tie, mine didnt have anything just got finger on the latch and pushed it open, even sold car that way with no problems.

BIGS
05-05-09, 11:02 PM
to open it again to get out of the car just use as stated above piece of metal wire or cable tie, mine didnt have anything just got finger on the latch and pushed it open, even sold car that way with no problems.

I might do something like this then.

Dar
05-05-09, 11:07 PM
Why not cut the middle out and leave the catch as is?
You don't have to cut that piece out.

BIGS
05-05-09, 11:11 PM
Why not cut the middle out and leave the catch as is?
You don't have to cut that piece out.

Im having carbon doors made up so they wont be made with them there, unless i can some how get them to fit :confused:

MK999
05-05-09, 11:11 PM
Dar: Because some of us nutters (me included) like going extreme on it no matter how hard it makes everything else lol I almost hope I never actually build a full on track car as it will be the biggest inconvenient pain in the ass car in the world lol

edit: Bigs: just get them cut in holes for the interior handles? Not really much in the way of 'making' them fit, you just need a rectangular hole

Dar
05-05-09, 11:15 PM
Im having carbon doors made up so they wont be made with them there, unless i can some how get them to fit :confused: If the doors are to your own design, then can't you specify what you would like?
IIRC the release is just a pull. So you could employ any number of methods including reusing the standard Nova handle. Or even just a bit of string.

BIGS
05-05-09, 11:19 PM
If the doors are to your own design, then can't you specify what you would like?
IIRC the release is just a pull. So you could employ any number of methods including reusing the standard Nova handle. Or even just a bit of string.

Well yes and no. The guy is making them as abit of a favour so he is doing them cheep. So to do them cheep he is making them so they are the easyer for him to make the molds and make them.

I like the idea of using abit of string of something like that. That will probley be easyer to just grab hold of :confused:

astraluke
06-05-09, 12:12 AM
mk1 & 2 minis came from the factory with a string pull, google it:thumb:

dhdev (Oli)
07-05-09, 03:30 PM
I used a piece of electrical wire and connected as shown.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/dhdev/IMG_1391resized.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/dhdev/IMG_1393resized.jpg

BIGS
07-05-09, 03:33 PM
Cheers for the pics Oli thats a great help. Have another blob :thumb: