PDA

View Full Version : Power wires for head unit

craig green
05-05-09, 01:19 PM
I've overcome this years ago, but am struggling to remember now, I've relegated all the stuff I learnt about ICE to the darkest corner of my brain.

I have put a Panasonic CD player HU (model # CQ-C1400N) in the Nova (mk2). But evidently the power wires arent in the ISO block correctly. I need to have the ign on to power up the player, but inbetween starting the car or turning it off etc, I loose all memory of track position, sound controls, volume & radio presets etc.

Which wires in the car's loom are which?

Brown - Earth?
Red
Black
Grey/green trace?

I always use Panasonic gear & had the last tape HU correctly wired, so I assume the ISO positions of the wiring is different...

Jack
05-05-09, 03:25 PM
Black will no doubt be a switched live, red permanent live. Sounds like the switched live on the car side is wired to the pemanent live input on the HU side, hence power being cut when the starter turns.

Gray/green trace is illumination, so that shouldn't be used on an aftermarket HU I'd have though.

mikey14sr
05-05-09, 06:40 PM
Yep you've got them pretty much right, red and black on the nova loom will be red and yellow on the iso to head unit adapter lead, They might need switching over so that red becomes yellow and yellow becomes red (Always have to do that with kenwoods).

Grey with green normally connects to the orange wire on the head unit lead for illumination dimming, ie when the lights are turned on the head unit dims down.

craig green
05-05-09, 08:37 PM
Cheers boys! I semi worked it out after using THE stoo SEARCH FUNCTION after I wrote the thread. Just been out & switched the wiring over, I think it is working as it should. I'll leave it overnight & see if my radio presets & CD track are remembered in the morning.