PDA

View Full Version : Conversion to c20xe - No fuel?

Rich
04-05-09, 08:30 PM
Hi ive put an early astra gte engine in my nova gsi, 4 wires joined up to the origional gsi loom ok, the ignition live is in with the plug on the gte. These are fuel pump(blue/red, revs(green), ignition live(black/yellow) and temperature(blue).

The problem is no fuel pump on ignition or when cranking, ive put 12v to the pump and it is working. I have a spark from the coil, so dont think its crank sensor although im going to go try another one incase. Fuel pump relay is clicking on ignition but not powering the pump (im assuming it is the fuel pump relay, its on the loom at the dizzy end). Ive tried another and still no joy.

Another thing is i have the indicators lighting up with ignition on(dim, no dash light) and my main beam indicator on the dash comes up dim. My headlight switch doesnt turn the lights on and flash doesnt not work.

The gearbox/chassis leg earth strap is good, cleaned up and no different. Alternator/ adjuster brackets cleaned up and put back on.

2 earths on the passenger side of fuel rail on/cleaned up. Theres no earth strap that goes on the drivers side of the fuel rail, ive looked back at the loom doesnt look like its cut/broken off, its just not one there.

Any help/advice appreciated.

gaznovalet
04-05-09, 08:50 PM
sounds to me as if you have joined the wrong wire up sumwhere along the lines and its had a knock on affect with the car electrics if the lights- dash problem has arisen since, all you need for the xe to run in your nova is wire to fuel pump- red/blue, switched live wire to starter solenoid black/red, 12v + to ecu then earth from gearbox to chassis. then just match up oil presure, oil temp, rev counter and temperature gauge, alternator wire.

Rich
04-05-09, 09:47 PM
Ok,

20xe loom - Gsi loom
blue/red - red/blue
thick red - thick red
Black/yellow - black
blue - blue

Thats all the wires connected, tried different fuel relays no different, crank sensor no different. We put the red/blue on the gsi loom to a permanent live from the battery, it tried to fire up but my battery has now died. Still have the problem with my lights :(

According to the simps guide there should be a thick blue on the 20xe loom but theres only a thin one. Anyone know for sure what these wires are for and have i matched them right?

gaznovalet
04-05-09, 10:42 PM
wires from xe loom
thick red-12v +
black-switched live
thick red/blue- fuel pump
green- rev counter
brown/white- ecu diagnostic
blue-temperature
blue/yellow- oil pressure
blue/green-oil light.
you cud alwas run the fuel pump on a swich if you carnt get it working via the loom, maybe worth checking fuses, and dash lights on dim id say is an earth problem, hope you get it sorted.

The Simps
04-05-09, 10:47 PM
Rich, have you chopped the astra plug or did you source the female part and use that?

The Simps
04-05-09, 10:49 PM
wires from xe loom
thick red-12v +
black-switched live
thick red/blue- fuel pump
green- rev counter
brown/white- ecu diagnostic
blue-temperature
blue/yellow- oil pressure
blue/green-oil light.
you cud alwas run the fuel pump on a swich if you carnt get it working via the loom, maybe worth checking fuses, and dash lights on dim id say is an earth problem, hope you get it sorted.

Thats all correct but the astra GTE 16v loom is different depending on whether you use the female part of the plug or not.

Rich
04-05-09, 10:49 PM
The plug had been cut off the astra, i chopped the end of my gsi loom and have matched the gte loom to that.

The Simps
04-05-09, 10:50 PM
If you've cut the plug you should have thick blue going to the fuel pump (as seen in the pic below). Blue/red is a speed sensor I think.

The Simps
04-05-09, 10:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/Nova/Mechanical/ConnectorXE-Starter.jpg

The Simps
04-05-09, 10:53 PM
On the female part of the plug above you can see the thin blue/red wire (far left) and then the thick red/blue to the right of it. Its opposite is the large blue on the male part of the plug.

The Simps
Can you get a pic of what you've done?

Rich
so the blue on gte loom to red/blue on gsi loom?

I have done blue to blue?

Rich
04-05-09, 10:55 PM
I can get a pic on my phone but wont be able to post until im home tonight. i think it is wired up wrong! so i dont use the thin red/blue on the gte loom?

The Simps
04-05-09, 10:58 PM
the thin blue is for your temp guage. You use the normal nova one thats in the loom with the headlghts.

The Simps
04-05-09, 10:58 PM
Can you tell me the colour of the wires that you have on the astra loom and whether their small/large?

Rich
04-05-09, 11:50 PM
ok im home now but forgot pics lol

On gte loom i have
blue (thick, didnt realise it was bigger until you pointed it out)
red/blue (thin)
Black/yellow (thin)
Large red

I have now done

red - red
thick blue - red/blue
black/yellow - black

I havent connected the thin blue/red, its the only colour i have left over on the gte side.
On gsi side i have a thick brown/white and a thin blue (temp sensor)

I tried to turn it over with new combination and i think it has pressure the fuel rail, but batterys gone flat. The lights have gone back to normal and it did seem to try firing up so thanks for your help. Just dont know what i do with the last wire on gte loom (or dont need it?)

Also the dash temp sensor connector was on my gsi (1.6) loom so i dont think i have one down by the xe sensor, unless its taped up in the loom somwhere?

The Simps
04-05-09, 11:58 PM
Sounds like you've got it right now.

Leave the thin red/blue disconnected, just tape it up. Its for speed sensor/ABS or something iirc.

I thought all novas have the blue wire run round the slam panel with the lights? Has the GTE loom got a blue with spade terminal on the loom then near the stat housing?

Rich
05-05-09, 12:08 AM
Nope it has a white 2 pin plug for the cts, but theres no dash temp wire on the loom. Ill have to run my own up to the blue wire where the rest of my wires join up? The gsi engine had the dash temp sensor on the back of the manifold

Rich
05-05-09, 12:09 AM
Someone please give rep to the simps i have to spread the love :(

The Simps
05-05-09, 01:12 AM
Someone please give rep to the simps i have to spread the love :(

I hate it when that happens!! lol

The thick brown/white maybe for the fan or rad switch - do you have these connected yet?

Ref temp guage, run a blue wire in with your lights and take it round the car loom to meet with the GSi plug (will be neater than running it with the car loom imo.

Rich
05-05-09, 12:42 PM
Sory its a thin brown/white wire on the gsi loom side, think its for the eml light or diagnostic plug, shouldnt need this to fire it up. It was trying to go last night but the battery died im trying to sort a charger out for it.

nova_saloon
05-05-09, 01:28 PM
you sorted it yet?

come to me so i can see it

Rich
05-05-09, 01:39 PM
Its my gsi mate not the turbo, put 2ltr in it lol

Waiting on a cav inner cv before i can drive it anywhere, was supposed to be here friday :(

nova_saloon
05-05-09, 01:42 PM
where did you get it from because i knew a place that could get them for real cheap! think 20 each new and i hate it when the postage is late!

Rich
05-05-09, 01:58 PM
ordered from camberly autos, suppoosed to be delivered to my work

nova_saloon
05-05-09, 02:00 PM
thats cool. funnily enough mine took about two weeks to come, got really irratated by it. when you hoping the car will be done, gunna join png later. cuz wuldnt mind cumi on th weekend!

Riggy
05-05-09, 02:40 PM
if you have an early xe loom with the black with yellow stripe for ignition live, then then the fuel pump wire isnt red/blue as it normally is , its the plain blue one , you will notice thats its thicker then the normal blue temp wire :thumb:

Riggy
05-05-09, 02:41 PM
just seen you had sorted it lol , didnt read the full thread lol

Rich
05-05-09, 11:05 PM
you will notice thats its thicker then the normal blue temp wire :thumb:

Thats what i didnt notice, i did notice that the gte loom had a red/blue wire instead of a blue/red but asumed it was just the oppsoite way due to the year the looms were made. How wrong was i lol

It fires on the button now too :thumb:

The Simps
05-05-09, 11:42 PM
Glad to hear it mate - we got there in the end.

Rich
06-05-09, 12:02 AM
And i still cant give you rep lol

Has anyone done it for me yet?

The Simps
06-05-09, 12:04 AM
yep, 2 lots! lol