PDA

View Full Version : SR Donor Car Found!

Tazzy
26-01-03, 02:19 AM
Ive been looking for a 1.3 SR as i mentioned before which i might buy for parts for my 1.2i!

The parts i was thinking of taking off it are gearbox, clutch, drivshafts, cam, followers, inlet manifold, down pipe, distributor and brake calipers!

is there any of these i shouldnt have/use?

is there anything in this list of which i could get better performance from other stuff?

snapper
26-01-03, 11:39 AM
as far as i know, the clutch, driveshafts, distributor and brake calipers aren't worth getting since they are the same as in 1.2 engined cars.

wait, 1.2 injection? then you won't be able to take the inlet manifold either.

Aragorn
26-01-03, 01:44 PM
or the exhaust manifold or downpipe as u need the hole for the lambda probe

the tranny etc will work and prolly give u an extra gear if uve only got a 4 speed

the camshaft wont work properly as the distributor drive is different on the 1300's to the SPi

and u wont be able to use the SR distributor on the SPi since im sure they use different sensors

a 1400 SR would be slightly more useful - u could swap the entire inlet assembly over so its no longer an i but obviously its gonna have to be a J plate or earlier as the K could fail the MOT without the cat

the 1400 cam is better and it will fit the original distributor and some 1400sr's had much closer gear ratios than the 1300's

the baby ates on the mk2's should be a lot better than the old style calipers too

Tazzy
26-01-03, 06:20 PM
hmmmm, lol, well, i havent been left with many ideas now, thanx lads!

only joshin, the second idea i had was to put on a 1.2 16v head, is this possible? much work need doing?

also, can the injection be moddified at all?

i want/need to keep it a 1.2i, but want to tune it as high as possible!

also, is it possible to put on a FSE power boost valve?

cheerz!

GTE-RACER
26-01-03, 06:44 PM
Got a white 1.4SR which hasn't moved for nearly a year now if u want it?

Aragorn
26-01-03, 10:22 PM
well there is an articale in TV this month about tuning hte 1200 SPi

basically it can be tuned quite well

for starters - get yourself an 1400SR cam shaft and a SRi/GSi exhaust manifold and downpipe add to this a GTE front pipe and thats a start

that lot should just about get u to standard 1200 power

but it will be running lean - what you'll need is a injector from a 1400 single point nova or corsa - its a direct replacement for your part but you'll need to adjust the fuel pressure with some kinda regulator as it will over fuel without it

next step is head work or a real performance cam - whether or not its worth it is arguable - TV fitted a B+ head to their 1200 and that along with the exhaust alone gained em 10bhp

the engine was leaning out badly on the rollers cos they didnt upgrade the injector but it knocked out 56bhp only 4 bhp less than the 1400 SPi

so couple the head with the cam and injector and i think you'd be onto a winner, i'd say SR power from it should be doable

TV claimed 85bhp has been seen from an SPi 1200 and 90bhp from a carbed effort so the engine aint all that bad

mikeoxford
26-01-03, 10:24 PM
TV claimed 85bhp has been seen from an SPi 1200 and 90bhp from a carbed effort so the engine aint all that bad

IMO its the single naff injector that lets it down.............

Tazzy
26-01-03, 10:56 PM
cheerz Aragorn

that does help, i want to kepe it a 1.2 injection, but as long as i can beat my mates 1.2, im happy!

but still no one has answered my question, lol, can i slap on a 1.2 16v head?

also, can i whack on a FSE power boost valve?

cheerz!

Aragorn
27-01-03, 11:50 AM
16v head will need a lot of work to match the compression ratios as well as f00king about with the injection system and the ECU

i'd say stick with the 8v and do the things ive said

the exhaust and airfilter alone should just about getting you upto 1200 carb speeds as long as u dacat it too

the 14SR cam shaft should just about give u 1400SPi power (60bhp) i should think as long as u couple it with a 1400 injector

as for the power boost valve - u actually need to reduce the fuel pressure with the 1400 injector as the car will overfuel otherwise im not sure if that valve can do that - if so then u can fit one and use it to reduce the fuel pressure otherwise you'll need some other kinda regulator

Tazzy
27-01-03, 08:47 PM
lol, ok, i think ill scrap that idea then of the 16v!

are the 1.4 cams tha same profile as the 1.4 SRi cams?

also, will i need anything off the head, tappets, valves, springs, followers?

also, i was thinking, (i do alot of that!) fuel pump, could i put one on from a GSi?

Aragorn
27-01-03, 09:05 PM
GSi fuel pump will blow it apart as it runs about 4 or 5 times as high pressure

the SR cams are the best out of the LISTED nova cams - however the C14SE engines cam specs arent listed - i'd have expected it to be equal if not better than the SR one

i think u need to get the followers with the cam - or buy a new set - if your using used followers u need to make sure the stay with the correct lobe on the cam

Tazzy
27-01-03, 11:38 PM
how many gee gees can the 1.3 SR gearbox take beofrw it starts to cry?

from the advice ive been given on here, ive come up with this list of mods!

- 1.3 SR Exhaust Outlet Manifold
- 1.3 SR Exhaust Twin Down Pipes
- 1.3 SR Conrods and End Bolts
- 1.4 Camshaft and Followers
- 1.4 Single Point Injector
- FSE Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
- Ramair Panel Filter
- SR Factory Fuse-10 5-Speed Manuel Gearbox
- Skimmed and Balanced Flywheel

how many gee gees will this go up to?

what about the inlet manifold and cam springs and valves?

cheerz!

Tazzy
29-01-03, 02:10 AM
sorry, also, in what order should i do the mods?

cheerz!

Stuart
29-01-03, 10:08 AM
1300 conrods will do nothing to help you.

the rod length has nothing to do with the stroke. thats the crankshafts job.

Aragorn
29-01-03, 02:19 PM
umok

u cant use a SR manifold since it doesnt have a port of the lambda probe

u need an SRi or late GSi manifold and downpipe then a GTE front pipe

junk the original airbox and use the corsa/cavvy top box and fit a proper cone filter to that

the pressure reg wont work since it can only increase the pressure - just have to hope it dont overfuel too badly and the lambda will take care of it

14 camshaft and followers is ok - make sure its an SR or SRi tho u dont want a 1400 SPi cam

as for the tranny

F10 supposedly means 100lbft torque before it implodes

unfortunately thats the only box that will fit the 1200 bottom end so u'll have to keep it

the only other option is a F10CR from a 1400sr as it SUPPOSEDLY has F13 internals - it has the same ratios as the F13CR but who knows about the internals

stick with the F10/5 from the 1300SR its about the best tranny for that engine i think

and as cambridge said no point stripping the bottom end down to fit the con rods - its a 1400 spec crank and rods anyway so they aint gonna go anywhere - as for they flywheel - i dunno if it would be worth that kinda expense on that engine - but i suppose u can always move it to a 1400 at some point so its not that bad

u can if u want to fit the 1300 head - but you will have to port out the inlet manifold to match the ports on the head (or u could just slap it on and hope for the best)

as for ordering- try and do as much together as u can, stuff like the exhaust, airbox and gearbox can be done first, but the cam, head and injector should really be done at once

so your new list looks like:

- 1.4 SRi Exhaust Manifold
- 1.4 SRi Twin Down Pipes
- Corsa/Cavvy Aribox
- Cone filter of your choice

- SR Factory F10 5-Speed Manuel Gearbox
- 1.4 SR/SRi Camshaft and Followers
- 1.4 Single Point Injector
- 1300 head and ported Inlet manifold
- Skimmed and Balanced Flywheel

in that order give or take

Tazzy
29-01-03, 10:30 PM
Cheerz Aragorn!

i dont spose you could tell me the best brake set up i could use could you?

also, i dont spose anyone are selling these parts?

cheerz!

Tazzy
31-01-03, 10:04 AM
that was it, i knew thee was something else i needed to ask!

in this months Tot Vaux, it says that a 1.4i oulet manifold can be put onto the 1.2 block, as hobviously, it will need the lambda sensor, but it also says that welding at cutting is needed to make it fit, how difficult is this?

also, what exactly is a lambda sensor and what does it do?

cheerz!

Aragorn
31-01-03, 10:52 AM
the welding and cutting is to mate it up with the original system

u wont need to do that cos ive specified a GTE front pipe to replace all the original exhaust for u

it will all bolt streight up

the lambda is a fine tune control for the fuelling

the ECU can tell wether the engine is running rich or lean and adjust the fuelling accordingly - u really should keep this on the engine especially with such mods you are doing that will fuck with the feulling

Tazzy
31-01-03, 11:25 AM
is there alot of cutting and welding involved? is it difficult?

what effect will the gte front pipe have?

cheerz!

Aragorn
31-01-03, 01:57 PM
the GTE front pipe basically acts as a decat and stops u having to cut the SRi downpipe and weld it onto your existing front pipe (which incidentally has the shitey ass cat which will defeat the point of fitting the manifold)

u need to decat it - waste of time otherwise

so just get the GTE front pipe - new if u have to - they aint dear

and that way u wont need to weld anything

Tazzy
01-02-03, 01:01 AM
so should i stick with the FSE Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator and not the FSE Power Boost Valve?

is it worth upgrading the fuel pump?

lastly, what brake set up should i go for?

cheerz!

Aragorn
01-02-03, 09:05 PM
ok as i said on thew first page

neither of the FSE valves will work as the only increase the pressure and that wont be needed - it will prolly already overfuel

fuelpump is one of a kind - u cant change it without blowing things up

Astra GSi 16v calipers on the front
new drums on the back
TD/GTE/GSi brake servo

one point tho - the astra brakes only fit under 5.5jx14 or larger wheels

Tazzy
01-02-03, 10:50 PM
cheerz, how do you know so much, did you design and build the nova? lol

so with all what has been mentioned in this topic, what ammount of gee gees do you think i will get?

will i have to stick it on a rolling road to tune it?

cheerz!

Tazzy
01-02-03, 10:55 PM
sorry, wouldnt the FSE Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator tone down the fuel, preventing detonation?

Aragorn
02-02-03, 05:02 PM
the regulator can only increase the fuel pressure because its positioned AFTER the "fuel rail"if u position it before the rail (and hence the injector) and attempted to reduce the pressure that way you'd end up with a pressureised line upto the valve and no pressure afterwards meaning the car would barley run if run at all

detonation would be caused by the lack of fuel and with the setup ive listed u defo shouldnt be getting any lack of fuel - as i said earlier it would most probably overfuel

as for the knowledge - im lookin at doing summat similar to the 1400SPi and after reading the TV article i realised every mod i'd theorised they had mentioned so they must all be valid and good uns

i looked into it some more as this thread progressed (for example the FSE valve - i posted a bit on MiG to fid out if this could be used to reduce the pressure and afaik it CANT unless u were to remove the original pressure regulator and use the FSE on its OWN after the fuel rail - unfortunately no-one knows the system well enough to know how to go about this) and learned even more about it as i went

Tazzy
02-02-03, 06:55 PM
so i wont have any problems with:

Skimmed and Balanced Flywheel
1.4 SRi Exhaust Outlet Manifold
1.4 SRi Exhaust Twin Down Pipes
1.6 GTE De-Cat Front Pipe
1.4 SRi Camshaft and Followers
1.4 Single Point Injector
Ramair Panel Filter
1.3 SR Factory Fuse-10CR 5-Speed Manuel Gearbox

is there anything else i should consider?

cheerz!

Aragorn
02-02-03, 08:31 PM
nope should all be fine

cept "1.6 GTE De-Cat Front Pipe " should read "1.6 GTE Front Pipe" as no GTE's had CAT's and all it would do is confuse folk

once uve done all that i'd seriously reccomend taking it to a rolling road to make sure its not massivley overfuelling or leaning out

and u may want to look into head work too