PDA

View Full Version : how many shades of flame red are there?

Asa-James
04-05-09, 05:37 AM
need to get the boot spoilar sorted on my cav, and as i'm probably not going to get the time or money to take it to a bodyshop, was going to have a go myself, just ondering, as title says, how many different shades of flame red are there?

also, any advice for a very good finish from rattle cans

Nick J
04-05-09, 08:43 AM
Are you wanting to paint because its damaged or just because its dull?? Iirc theres aroud 20 shades on the scheme I use at work and probably many more on other schemes! If it is because its dull Id recommend using an abrasive polish and a machine polisher. (3m fast cut,fareclau g3) should do the job just go steady if you havent used a machine before and set the speed down low. :)

Benn
04-05-09, 10:00 AM
6 shades on PPG,
About 8 in halfolds rattle can, but its like a lotto which one you get.

As Nick says about poilshing it up tho.

Asa-James
04-05-09, 10:45 AM
itrs not faded (probably the reddest part of the car) all the laquer is peeling off the top where it looks like its been keyed/dodgily resprayed. i might do it the lazy way and just paint it satin black now i know theres "just a few" different shades...

dougie_boi
04-05-09, 11:17 AM
what is your piant code mate 547?

gaznovalet
04-05-09, 11:23 AM
loads of shades as the lads above said. sprayed my nova with mipa ready mixed flame red its canny and cheap enuf at 13 quid a litre, iirc around 10 shades in dupont and spread between 2pac and base coat just to make things more complicated. you tend to find you need to be careful applying paint over flaked paint as can lift or craze the edges if arent flatted back properly or primed as to seal them. but if you apply the paint nice and evenly and not too heavy you shud be fine. good luck spraying it pal. ( aerosols dont like wind and rain, lol )

gaznovalet
04-05-09, 11:26 AM
what is your piant code mate 547?
flame red code on vauxhall 547, 79L, sumtimes 79U.:thumb:

CoolTiger
04-05-09, 01:08 PM
ill check in work tomorrow standox scheme

Jack
04-05-09, 01:23 PM
flame red code on vauxhall 547, 79L, sumtimes 79U.:thumb:
547 is the Opel code, 79 is Vauxhall code.

Ideally you ought to take it to a bodyshop as the paint will have faded (even if it still looks bright) compared to an off-the-shelf colour.

dan23
04-05-09, 10:15 PM
you need 547 L the L is just so the computer regognises it you may need the L but tell them the full code