PDA

View Full Version : Astra mk2 digi dash

ade
25-01-03, 07:18 PM
Looking at getting one of these and a transponder but just want to check it will fitinto a mk2 nova dash?

How good are they?

Is it an easy(ish) mod and is it worth it?

Ade

whitey
25-01-03, 10:43 PM
Yes ade!

Only really fits into a MK2 dash! MK1 is toooooo much hassle!
So you will be OK!

If you get a good one and do it properly with solder and heat shrink then you can't really go wrong!

There is loads of guides around! I done mine and its almost the same as yours! 1.2 Mk2 J Reg in Red!

There is guides at http://www.nova-land.com and Ben Copeland's site! Its just a case of taking nova dash out piece of piss as you know, and cutting off plugs and then soldering the wire to the astra loom! Just takes a little time!

Doing another one (1.2 J Reg) in a week or so, so can help you out if you get stuck!

Whites :twisted:

Oh and yeah its worth it!! Better than the standard 1.2 dials for sure! And you get the added rev counter benefit amongst other things!

locky
26-01-03, 03:27 AM
Ive done it Ade, came across a few probs, i could help if ya get stuck!
Chris_w was a big help also (cheers :wink: )

ade
26-01-03, 06:30 PM
cheers guys - will see if I can get hold of it - if so will let u know!

:D

mikeoxford
26-01-03, 10:36 PM
as i helped ya with ya fogs mate im sure i could with this too ;)

check out me site (cheers for the plug whitey!)

guides on there

conversion is a doddle, ive done it 3 times, once for a mate and once in either car ive owned, you MUST use solder and insulate - or for best results shirnk material.

Euan
26-01-03, 11:12 PM
do u need the gear box transducer if you already have a rev counter?

whitey
27-01-03, 12:19 AM
Its a Mk2 1.2 so it most likely won't have rev counter but it will have the wire from the coil most likely!

Just not the oil sender one! But thats not a big deal because you survived without one before! They cost like ?60 so dont bother!

Mind you ade, you got a 1.4 engine now so it will have one some where!

locky
27-01-03, 12:24 AM
Yes u will need the transducer sender, it gets replaced from the speed cable, so it sends the mph/kph and revs!
There are quite a few different types as well, try 2 get the 1 off the donor car, but, sayin that, wen i done my conversion, the speedo was out, and had 2 get a new transducer, trial n error, i can get part numbers if needed for ne probs, mine was done on a 1.2, (f10 gearbox)

mikeoxford
27-01-03, 09:59 AM
i think maybe aragorn it was? said he got a digidash working with out transducer - the SPi have a similar unit on the gearbox i think? to control the ECU and he wired it to that and it seems to work.

however i doubt youll have a spi unit - and chances of it workin like that again are slim, ive never heard of doing that but his appears to work!

mikeoxford
27-01-03, 10:00 AM
oil pressure senders need replacing if you havent got a two wire one already, u need two wires to get the graph on the dash to work.

they come as standard on a 1.3 sr old shape

you wont be buying one from vaux as theyre about ?70 last time i checked - go the scrap yards!

locky
27-01-03, 08:57 PM
Actually just readin my post i lied
the revs come from the ignition coil!
sorry 4 false info!

mikeoxford
27-01-03, 11:58 PM
locky mate with your contacts in vaux how much can u get new pressure sender for? the two wire one from a 1.3 SR?

locky
28-01-03, 05:17 PM
I'l ring daddy in the morn, i gota sort stuff out 4 other peeps aswell!

Ben (lurk75)
28-01-03, 06:29 PM
IMO

i think the digi dash is a very overworked mod, i would rather spend the time trying to do something different (Golf blue dash).

After all the dash was in the astras in the 80's and they looked good then but when you look at them they do look very 80's.

But thats my opinion.

Aragorn
28-01-03, 10:25 PM
imo the digidash could do with a revamp

but i think even summat like those blue color things would make it look much better - the yellow looks old - the dash itself is waaaay better than the original needles

i used the 1.2i's transponder jsut spliced inot the signal

this should for for any 8v dash as far as i can tell from the epc as they all use the same pulses are given by the nova sender - the 16v's dont work - they recieve many more pulses than the 8v ones

u will also have to run a wire to the coil and splice into the green thats already there