PDA

View Full Version : FAO all 16v owners(bay prob+pic)

dan16v
25-01-03, 04:11 PM
http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=242

above may be the pic of my turret if not could 1 of abmin sort it 4me plz!

right the thing is where you see that thin line of rust just below turret ,that is actualy a 4cm hair line crack :o now could this be due to me not running a strut brace? or is it the power of the engine?
to fix it im just gunna grind it bak then put a run in on the mig welder will this be ok?
thanks lads! :wink:

brian
25-01-03, 04:18 PM
http://novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=242
There ya go!!!

Dan i don't think thats because of no strut brace.
Seen it many times. Best thing you can do is grind it down all along the leg and up around the turret on both sides and seam weld it up.

jim sri
25-01-03, 04:26 PM
was the engine bay welded up before the 2 litre went in?

brian
25-01-03, 04:28 PM
strange....after i got yer pic up in my post it appeared in yours too. before was just a link :?

dan16v
25-01-03, 05:17 PM
yes the engine bay was fully seam welded and included the chassis stiffening plates! i think it would be an idea to use a strut brace tho as where the crack is looks to me like some sort of pushing force ie up/down suspension related?

Austin_Nova16
26-01-03, 01:31 AM
this is the problem with seam welding. If stich welded, only 1 stich will crack, and the others will stay intact.

As said previously...just gring it down and re-weld. A strut brace may be a good idea, cos this has obviously been caused by some flex, so the bar should stiffen things up a bit more. :)

locky
26-01-03, 03:15 AM
Another thing aswell Dan, novas are prone to rusting in those places!
Ive gota weld by ther but ive only got a 1.2 lump (1.6 nxt wekend :D )
Ther just prone 2 rusting by ther, dont think the valver would have made much of a difference, although a strut brace could be useful to decrease the stress on those areas, thus tryin 2 stop the cracks/rust!

dan16v
26-01-03, 11:43 AM
saying that locky ive owned 5novas now and theyve never gone there i find its usualy in front of the turret on my gte i stuck a screw driver through it lol ill just get the mig welder out and hope the front end doesnt fall off lol will have 200bhp+ when its bak on the road so i dont realy want any cracks in the bay!

locky
26-01-03, 11:49 AM
Yeah, ive got more on the front of the turret, had that on the last nova!
Also ive found that along the chassis has started 2 rust! il just run a weld along it, itll add some strength 2 i spose! ive got a really powerful mig welder in work, as strong, if not stronger than an arc welder!

Lee H
27-01-03, 04:46 PM
This is what worries me, mine hasn`t even been seam welded along where that crack is on that pic but has been ok so far, I am running a strut brace and just hoping for the best for the time being until I can take engine out and weld it all up properly.

dan16v
27-01-03, 05:21 PM
lol b careful m8 those seams are only spot welded! after a while those 2joints can pul away from each other!