PDA

View Full Version : Cars gone slower doh!! help.

nova dosed
24-01-03, 11:38 PM
About 3 week ago i changed the plugs, leads, distrib cap and rota arm, dist vacum, oil and filter and rad fluid and since i did that its gone slower i think its the plugs as its them NGK (i think) and before i had bosch.

now i know that it still needs a tune but the cam doesnt kick in right anymore (like it used to before all the change) can the vacum have owt to do it with anything im lost for ideas

cheers

Dicko
25-01-03, 12:30 AM
more than likely its the vacuum. this advances the timing if you put your foot down, if it doesnt advance acceleration would feel flat if you know what i mean, like somebodys shuved a banana up your exhaust <<--nothing gay implied!!
NGK i find to be the best even though if you have a prob and go to vuax they try to tell you its becuz u have NGK plugs lol

nova dosed
25-01-03, 01:17 AM
lol at the NGK thing. Thats the only idea i have but i know what u mean about the vacum as before i replaced it the previous one had broke. so i thought i wud change it.
come to think of it i ran around for a day or two on the NGK (plus everything axcept the vacum and distrib cap) and it was flat so to speak then i think it needs tunning as its not been done since ive put cam in.
Dicko any idea who is good round here i know u got euro parts but for a basic tune whats titan like u heard anything bad? Seen much of paul?

ade
25-01-03, 11:11 AM
Ironically I changed from bosch super 4's to ngk last year and I found my old 1.2 died in acceleration! Changd back to super 4's and it picked up!

I agree with Dick ref timing - gets flat about 60ish and takes ages to get there.

Ade

nova dosed
25-01-03, 06:32 PM
so ur saying that bosch super 4's make a difference in a nova then? Ive heard all sorts about them.
As for the flat thing im gettinjg a new carb soon so when its on and tunned we will know

ade
25-01-03, 06:35 PM
depends on yer preference...many will say grooved ngk's are better and some say that bosch's knacker the engine :o

personally bosch came recommended to me by a m8 - tried ngk and didnt rate them much but then it could have been a coincidence that summut else was wrong with car at the time the ngk's were fitted.

If your not sure what plugs to use use vauxhall recommended ones - GM parts.

Hope new carb works for ya m8 - if getting local vaux garage to replace it they'll give you ?25 back for old unit! (Mine did!!!)
:wink:

Ade

nova dosed
25-01-03, 06:50 PM
Ay thats not bad m8 but ill fit it me self (as there not har to do) and prob let the company im buying it off have me old one and me spare.

What carb sha;; i go for? I want performance and good petrol consumption as well. I thought about webber not pierburg but unsure on size

ade
25-01-03, 07:57 PM
think webber 32/34 will fit 1.2 - need a new manifold though.

No expert on these things but webbers seem to be the big thing.

As engine only 1.2 your fuel consumption willnot change that much using a webber.

Ade

nova dosed
25-01-03, 08:02 PM
my engine is a 1.4sr with cam, k and n, 4 branch and exhaust system, (oh and a recently re b uilt engine lol )

Dicko
26-01-03, 05:46 PM
weber 32/34 is prbly your only upgrade option.
its funny how car shops recomend bosch but rolling road tuners recomend NGK and in car mag reviews NGK come out ontop. I wonder if its becuz car shops make so much more off bosch as there more pricey lol
i changed from bosch s4 to grooved NGK on my 16v and noticed no difference at all but my timing is out a fair wach when the engine is hot anyways :(