PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of this engine??

rallydak
01-05-09, 06:56 PM
hi, iam currently sorting out a shell to build into a 1400cc nova rally car in the future. im in no hurry to build this car and i am currently just consintrating on geting the shell ready first. but i was just running a few ideas through my head on what engine to use.

i was thinking of maybe getting a 12st block and fitting 1300 rods and crank and running either a 1300 head or old 1200 head and doing some head work to it. i was thinking of skimming the head, putting bigger valves in, polishing porting etc and bits like that. i was then thinking of running it on r1 bike carbs. i was then thinking of doing other little mods like lighting the fly wheel etc and bits and pieces. but i was woundering whta people though of that overall engine would it be better than using a normal 1400 and modding it?? also if i were using a 1300 or 1200 head what sort of cams could i use on it?? and i was woundering does anyone no much about using an eco tech 1400 and what it would be like or would it run in to a lot more money?? also what about using a brain to gain more power if i used the engine i suggest would this rule out the use of an ECU????

thanks to any of us that can help me out with this.

mowgli
01-05-09, 07:01 PM
I did one about 20 years ago. they work well.

a 1400 16v has much more potential.

the best advice I can give you is to talk to the organiser of the motor club's rally championship you are planning to enter, they will tell you what is eligible, and if you check out the current competitors, you might find some minted bloke with 200hp in your class, but there may be a lower class with more chance of success.

the sort of questions you are asking make me think this is your first project.

AlexW
01-05-09, 08:21 PM
Yes i agree with the above, a 1.4 16v could problery end up with more power easyer?

Powerbox, cams and a decent exhaust plus a chipped ecu could problery seem over 115bhp at a guess. Depends how much you want to spend, and what you acualy want out the car lol

rallydak
02-05-09, 04:53 PM
yea ino that is the problem with motorsport there is always going to be those minted blokes that are spending in around 30 grand on their novas. but i think the classes are split into 1400 8v and 1400 16v. and i was thinkin if i was going into the 16v one i would be against a lot more powerful machines and the people in it have probably spent a lot more money on them. i am looking to do this project with the lowest cost possible but have a competitive car. this is why i am looking at using a differnt engine from the other competitors as if i use the same engine as them it will just be down to who has more money which i don't want to do.

and yea this is my first full project but i currently have a 1200 nova rally car and have been working away at it and everything so im familar with 1200 vauxhall stuff just havent been around the 1400 engines yet and thats why i need your help.

mowgli
02-05-09, 05:57 PM
the main problem with 1300 gm ohc engines is that they are getting very rare. a 1.4 8v is quite a tuneable engine, and it doesn't need different cranks & rods. the manifolds are easily gettable for the bike carbs (bogg bros?).

the 1.2+1.3=1.4 is a fine engine, but it will involve some machining work & that always costs a lot.

the fact of the matter in rallying is that everything else except the engine needs sorting out first, because traction & handling & reliability are far more important than a strong engine.