PDA

View Full Version : dial illumination

James B
24-01-03, 10:05 PM
was having a look at the bulbs in the back of me dials, and also was looking at the bulbs in things like the clock and the heater controls etc, and ws thinking it would be very very nice to get blue bulbs for them all rather than the standard ambery ones. However, then paused and wondered if anyone made them..

over to you :lol:

james

mikeoxford
24-01-03, 11:21 PM
it is possible to buy coloured bulbs, however they are pretty poor

what people tend to do is use ultra bright LEDs and a resitor, it porbably as cheap if not cheaper than bulbs even!!! - no lie honnest!

have a look at antons 1.2 flair in the gallery, for his dash lights he used some halfords light kit

Pan@SW-CC
25-01-03, 01:19 AM
You can get little coloured covers for these bulbs...one of my m8's was selling them a while back...but he wanter 50p each! He paid 30p each for them...the barsteward!

I was changing some bulbs on my g/f's Micra the other day and they have blue bulb covers...So that's Blue, Red and Green that you can get.

I'll be off to Nissan soon to buy some...I fancy some red ones though...match my kenwood

kingrob
25-01-03, 11:19 AM
Yeah have a look at antons, there just blue led's shining on the dials, i got some but aint put them in yet, got them for a fiver off ebay. Only really works with white dials tho.

James B
25-01-03, 01:12 PM
yer seen antons, saw his car too when i went to buy his alloys :) they do look quite smart, fitting my lockwood white dial kit next weekend so yer should work now, just feel a bit guilty bout copying other people though, wonderd if i could do sumit myself

James

Freak
25-01-03, 01:28 PM
Ill see if i can dig out pics of my old nova- leds all over the dash- all blue.
Looked mint.
None of these shitty halfords lights shining on the clocks. This looked factory and awesome.
U need to be able to solder however.

James B
25-01-03, 01:35 PM
Ill see if i can dig out pics of my old nova- leds all over the dash- all blue.
Looked mint.

would appreciate it if you could mate - thats kinda the effect im tryin to achieve. if u find the pics any chance you might find the time to just let me no how u did it ruffly? how much it all cost ya??

O yer and i can solder, A level Design and Technology taught me that :wink:

James

Anton
25-01-03, 05:47 PM
nowt wrong with leds shining at the dials, cheaper and look better than the ones behind in my opinion :) Next time around I'm doing one off computer images over me white dials on my corsa

ade
25-01-03, 07:17 PM
I agree with Anton - the ford Ka has green lights projected onto the dials - look weird but good. At least you can see them unlike the novas standard black dials.

I looked at modding the clocks on my car when I rebuild it last year and considered many options - you can if you use the right printing material, back light dials using the blue leds Anton has rather than beam them directly nto the dials. You need to seriosuly mod the dials though as theyre on metal discs. It is possible.

If yer feeling really adverterous (and this is in the works of Cooly Marty!) take the clocks out altogether and replace with round dialled single instruments then create a fibreglassed cowling to house them in etc...

God I need another project car!

Ade
:roll:

whitey
25-01-03, 11:46 PM
You could always go for a digi dash and change the colour of it!

Anton
26-01-03, 12:15 PM
yeah but everyone has a digi dash :P

Freak
26-01-03, 04:06 PM
Factory SRi half white clocks will illumite adequately bright ,
by replacing the backlighting bulbs with certain types of LEDS.

Mine are from germany- www.blauetachos.de
get them via philM (old skool novaloader) on blauetachosuk@hotmail.com

They do look fine- look especially good in the switches , although the heater ones not so good- all to do with the light cast and the light reflectors and stuff.
The best ones were the window switches and sidelamps.

Still hunting the pics.

mikeoxford
26-01-03, 11:04 PM
brett warbuton has a very tasty clockset - its a complete after market clockset and hes made a surround for it - if you havent bought your calenders already yet its in there!!!!

hes Mr April