PDA

View Full Version : gsi engine help

dougie_boi
30-04-09, 10:12 PM
hey all putting this thread up for andy (nacho mcnova) were out trying to fix his car at the moment. seems to be ticking over high then it drops suddenly then lifts back up to about 1700 rpm. its giving symptoms of drawing air but checked all breather hose vacum pipes etc and no joy and its pinking really bad at lower rpm when driving and accelerating. any advice and help would be really apreciated by us cheers guys :thumb: ps lol its a 1.6 gsi distributer engine not the coil pack one

bola
30-04-09, 10:15 PM
I had this kind of problem with mine it was just that the air pipe that goes from the afm to the inlet manifold had a small rip in the bottom of it, id take that off and give it a good check as it will probably be something simple like that.

dougie_boi
30-04-09, 10:20 PM
hey mate yeah thats all intact lol that was one of the first suspects lol but was all fine no rips or tairs could the afm be suspect?

gazsnova
30-04-09, 10:23 PM
have a look at the hot wire inside the the flow meter filter side of the meter if there broke the dont measure the air fully and can give uneven tick over bad air to fuel ratio. or try another air flow meter.

dougie_boi
30-04-09, 10:26 PM
yip checked that too mate lol absolutly stumped on this one like lol just need to try an airflow meter i think

gazsnova
30-04-09, 10:29 PM
hmm definatly checked all vacuum pipework? mityvac to them maybe? i had one which did similar, in the end i stripped the engine down and found a ring was well on its way out. maybe check compressions to be on safe side?

mowgli
30-04-09, 10:33 PM
it could be the cold running valve thingy (I have all the technical names.....)
it will cause the engine to run lean & idle high.

dougie_boi
30-04-09, 10:34 PM
yep defo checked all vacum pipes mate dont think the rings is on its way out as its only done 40 thousand miles and its been well serviced checked the plugs and they indecated it was running lean and it pinks badly on accelarating just gives me the impression its lean due to drawing air and would cause the high ticking over

dougie_boi
30-04-09, 10:34 PM
do you have any pictures of this mate :D

gazsnova
30-04-09, 10:41 PM
knock sensor? possible break in the wires to that as that will/should retart igntion timing to reduce pinking. if thats up the spout then its gonna let the advance keep advancing well into detonation.

gazsnova
30-04-09, 10:46 PM

would that be that air valve device which is mounted where a mechanical fuel pump would sit on the cam box?

or would that be the 2pin sensor on the inlet manifold down near the coolant gauge sender?

dougie_boi
30-04-09, 10:58 PM
il unplug it and try and see if that makes any diffrence also the eml aint coming on when this is happning. its a weird one lol

gazsnova
30-04-09, 11:00 PM
ill have a look around some info i got here, see if i can dig anything up you can try.

dougie_boi
30-04-09, 11:04 PM
ill have a look around some info i got here, see if i can dig anything up you can try.
would be excellent if you could mate :thumb:

gazsnova
30-04-09, 11:09 PM
right the air valve (located where a mechanical fuel pump would usually go on a carb motor) if you take it off, only 2 bolts, 2 pipes, connector,
looking through it it should be open (see through it) this should be open when the engine is cold. if you were to stick 12v through both terminals the gap should close up.(small disc inside it that closes as the engine gets hotter)

that could be giving too much air flow causing lean mixture>pinking.

dougie_boi
30-04-09, 11:12 PM
is that 2 live feed feeds to it mate. i could take it off and try it with a 12v
battery charger will i just earth it to the surounding casing

novanum1
30-04-09, 11:17 PM
I had a problem like this on my Gsi, Turned out to be the TPS sensor on the inlet, Might be worth looking at,

dougie_boi
30-04-09, 11:24 PM
I had a problem like this on my Gsi, Turned out to be the TPS sensor on the inlet, Might be worth looking at, cool we will try this as well thanks mate :thumb:

gazsnova
30-04-09, 11:26 PM
is that 2 live feed feeds to it mate. i could take it off and try it with a 12v
battery charger will i just earth it to the surounding casing

yep thats right

dougie_boi
30-04-09, 11:31 PM
yep thats right
thanks again your a gent :thumb: :thumb:

dougie_boi
01-05-09, 01:26 PM
right the air valve (located where a mechanical fuel pump would usually go on a carb motor) if you take it off, only 2 bolts, 2 pipes, connector,
looking through it it should be open (see through it) this should be open when the engine is cold. if you were to stick 12v through both terminals the gap should close up.(small disc inside it that closes as the engine gets hotter)

that could be giving too much air flow causing lean mixture>pinking.
tried this and its not doing much no clicking or anything when you look through you can see through it but just like a wee line through it

gazsnova
01-05-09, 05:29 PM
maybe try just a 12v down one terminal and earth the other. and vise versa. see if does anything then?

dougie_boi
01-05-09, 05:53 PM
ok will do ive got a multimeter so il check out the resistance to see if its funked or not

dougie_boi
01-05-09, 08:24 PM
checked it for resistance and its only at 4 ohms acording to the auto data it should be between 8-10 so i take it that its funked lol

gazsnova
01-05-09, 08:31 PM
i gues so then. let us know if its sorts the problem out.

nacho mcnova
01-05-09, 09:00 PM
will do bud, thanks for your help. :thumb:

pul16v
02-05-09, 11:02 PM
try clamping off its feed to the manifold . its the one at the back /top of the maifold has an alloy elbow fitted in the manifold .clamp off the pipe and see if its still act funn if so its not drawing any air through the associated pipeing . also do the one on the end of the manifold the coasting valve i think it is ? its a little 90degree rubber hose going to a little canister i had a problem with my tickover all acted normal once i had clamped the 90degree hose up

dougie_boi
03-05-09, 12:06 AM
try clamping off its feed to the manifold . its the one at the back /top of the maifold has an alloy elbow fitted in the manifold .clamp off the pipe and see if its still act funn if so its not drawing any air through the associated pipeing . also do the one on the end of the manifold the coasting valve i think it is ? its a little 90degree rubber hose going to a little canister i had a problem with my tickover all acted normal once i had clamped the 90degree hose up
clamping that pipe did bring the revs back down to a steady 1100 rpm still a bit high but was also causing it to run very very lean and pinking badly with and without clamped mate but i think were taking it out and il put a 2ltr 8valve in its favour lol

tragos
07-05-09, 11:46 AM
I had a problem like this on my Gsi, Turned out to be the TPS sensor on the inlet, Might be worth looking at,
yes i had the same problem 2 years ago!