PDA

View Full Version : general 1.4 engine info - high idle

ade
24-01-03, 12:12 PM
Hi guys,

New engine 1.4 (carbbed) but not being used to this sort of engine I dont know really what to listen for - my 1.2 I got to know quite well (we went out together - had her in pieces - stripped her a bit and poked about etc :D )

anyway (sorry)

I think the 1.4 I have now is idling high. Haynes says all 1.4's are auto choke and idle about 900-950 - my 1.2 was manual choke and my choke is still there but when pushed right in seems to sort of spring oback out a bit. The 1.4 engines come from a new model nova. How do I go about turning the idle down or am I best letting a garage do it and is it auto choke?

Think the carbs a pieberg 2e3 - dunno though (my k&n's bolted to it - sounds ace!)
:D

Ade

wisewood
24-01-03, 12:16 PM
Not 100% but i think there is a screw on the carb somewhere and if you turn it it adjuest the idle speed... Someone showed me this on my 5 door once but that was about 12 months ago and i can't remember where it is now. It's in the haynes anyway.

Chris LR
24-01-03, 01:43 PM
Ade I had the same on My SR, First thing it'd idle around 850-900, only just enough. I tried the idle screw and it worked, but every so often it would stick at 2000!

I found a way to get it back down though, open the throttle for a couple of seconds. It should fall back to around 1200. In the end I asked the guy to look at it when it went in for the MOT.

He said the auto choke was broken. I had two options, Have it revving low and stop it from stalling myself, or have it revving high and use more fuel. Being a poor Student I had it low.

Will
24-01-03, 05:20 PM
shudnt use ur manuel choke on the pierburg carb :S

Tap the throttle to stop the suto choke but if its broken then doh, they often go wrong, this is y a lot of ppl go for a weber 32/34

As for the idle screw its on the left hand side if you stand at the front of the car looking into the engine, sometimes coloured yellow like a plastic screw u can adjust it from there i believe, i did it on my 1.2 a few times