PDA

View Full Version : Removing paint from bumpers/skirts

Stanley
29-04-09, 02:57 PM
My nova has been painted, and well, that means every last part of it has been painted....:mad:

Is there an effective method of removing the paint from the bumpers and skirts? mainly just the skirts, as i fear the bumpers were flattened before painting....

Cheers.

Pistol Pete
29-04-09, 03:30 PM
I would say Nitromors etc, but plastic bumpers might not like that. I'm sure somone asked this before. Have a search see what comes up.

AlexW
29-04-09, 04:04 PM
Nitromorse does work on plastic well, just make sure you apply it correctly and you may have to do it a few times.

If you intend to spray them (IMO much better idea) then just do the usual of flatting back the paint and spraying them. Much easyer and problery a nicer finish, as i would imagine the skirts were sanded before the paint.

gaznovalet
29-04-09, 06:15 PM
im a paint sprayer mate been in trade over 15 years now. plastic requires its own plastic primer diffrent from that used on metal,to allow paint to stick, if the panels are not keyed and plastic primed the paint will blast off with a pressure washer. if done properly its hard to remove paint from plastic. notromorse is a last resort with regards to plastic as if left on it can melt into the panels and wreck them. if possible idealy use 320 or 400 grit sanding disc on dual action sander- round type, be careful as try not go thruw edges as can cause problems wen new paint is applied as can craze and sink around these areas ich you go thruw. if you have got to go thruw existing paint surface or need to repair the plastics use a correct plastic primer and then a normal filler primer to hide repair and rub smooth with wet and dry 1200 prior to painting, then just apply undercoat and top coat as needed. if any problems persist as often do can use a clearcoat seam sealer to cure this.hope tht can be of some help to you.