PDA

View Full Version : spacers with coilovers

nacho mcnova
29-04-09, 11:07 AM
hi peeps, i have recently bought fk super-tech coilovers and they wont fit unless i put 6mm spacers on the front will i have to put spacers on the back to comprimise with the front? cheers

L33 LEG
29-04-09, 11:24 AM
when i first put my fks on the front were rubbing on tyres. i loostened the 2 bolts on the bottom of the strut, pulled it as close to you as possible and tightened them up again and its now fine.

if that doesnt work put the spacers on the front and if you can tell by looking at it then put them on the back aswell, if not then i wouldnt worry about it

nacho mcnova
29-04-09, 01:29 PM
thanks alot bud il give it a shot see how i get on. :thumb:

Pistol Pete
29-04-09, 01:44 PM
How low is the spring platform nut? This may be closing up the spring causing it to rub on your tyre. Wind the nut to the bottom the its travel and see if that helps?

nacho mcnova
29-04-09, 04:13 PM
its the whole coilover bud, it seems to sit at an angle i think i will have to resort to spacers me thinks.

AlexW
29-04-09, 04:15 PM
You wouldnt have to space out the rears, it may make the car handle weird.

And with the suggestion lee posted it could cause the camber to be out (as it would from lowering anyways) so its a tricky one lol

Slik Gambino
29-04-09, 06:32 PM
do gaz fit straight on or do they need modding

Pistol Pete
29-04-09, 06:42 PM
GAZ fit ok. I had to dress the inner rear arch so they would clear. Quite a few off here have them.

Pistol Pete
29-04-09, 06:43 PM
hi peeps, i have recently bought fk super-tech coilovers and they wont fit unless i put 6mm spacers on the front will i have to put spacers on the back to comprimise with the front? cheers

When you say they dont fit, in what way? Got a pic?

craig green
29-04-09, 06:47 PM
It also depends on wheel/tyre. I have 15" Irmscher wheels with 45 profile tyres & the lower spring platform has about 3-5mm clearance I'd say with it sitting rather low. A wider wheel or tyre would easily rub.
Try some 5mm spacers I say.

chimp007_uk
29-04-09, 06:49 PM
my spax rsx coilovers rubbed on the front tyres with the springs :( I had to run 5mm spacers ont he front to get the clearnace.

vx kev
29-04-09, 08:08 PM
Just had this problem with a set of Tecknix coilovers ive fitted to mines.
Not sure if the Fk jobbies are similar at the front but mines had 8" free length springs with about 4" helpers. Removed the helpers to give a bit more clearence but was still close to the wheel all be it im running 16" * 7" wheels. Decided the best option to give me the height i wanted and the clearence i needed was to get another set of springs. Got a set of 7" free length 250 lbs springs (the smallest they do with 60mm ID) from Rally Design for about £45, sorted mines out! NO SPACERS :thumb:
Also as said by someone already the top bolt hole is usually elongated to allow for camber adjustment so this could help aswell!

MK999
29-04-09, 08:40 PM

And with the suggestion lee posted it could cause the camber to be out (as it would from lowering anyways) so its a tricky one lol

Pulling the wheel out to clear shocks cambers it the opposite direction to the way lowering affects it, so it only makes it closer to standard.

Benn
29-04-09, 09:02 PM
What wheels do you have on it?
Do you still have the help springs in place?

nacho mcnova
30-04-09, 09:45 AM

i know it does clear the rears without a problem but would the car handle better with or without spacers on the rear. i have got to put 6mm on the front without a doubt but the wheels stick out abit so i was thinking 5mm on the rears?

bola
30-04-09, 11:31 AM
i know what you mean mate, i had this problem with gmax coilovers and as said yeah you will need spacers or shorter springs. I am running cesaros so not like they are a silly offset or anything!