PDA

View Full Version : what brakes would be best???

rallydak
29-04-09, 09:37 AM
hi i am currently in the middle of building a nova shell for a rally car. i am thinking of building it into a good 1400 hopefully tuned a lot. i was just woundering what brakes to you think i would be best going for and what would i have to do to put them on??? and what size of wheels will i need to run??? at the minute i have the chance of buying a new set of drilled and grooved cavalier brakes for £30 and then il be able to get any other parts i need from a local breaker. would these be the best option???

thanks for any help us can give me lads

jimbob-mcgrew
29-04-09, 11:33 AM
i wouldnt bother with the drilled and grooved discs mate, they've got a tendancy to fracture inbetween the drillings when under repeated heavy load. from what i understand tho, grooved on their own are ok.

as its rally u wanna keep everything as light as poss.
depending on the rules of the club as to what your allowed.
i reckon something like 13" x 5.5" sr steelies ontop of ground down 2 litre brakes would be ideal ?
and some funky tyres to go with em depending what terrain your gonna be attacking.

Welsh Dan
29-04-09, 11:47 AM
I wouldnt grind down brakes for competition use.

Riggy
29-04-09, 11:51 AM
lol i wouldnt grind down brakes for any use , might aswell buy some remoulds aswell lol

kent14sr
29-04-09, 12:30 PM
best budget route I used for the rally car was 256mm Cav brakes with standard discs and uprated pads with 14" steel wheels or astra gte mk2 wheels. Never had any problems with that on tarmac or in the forest.

GRUNT 16V
29-04-09, 12:41 PM
256 X 24 Cav Sri/gsi Stuff Thats What We Used To Run On Our Corsa 2 Litre Forest Rally Weapon!

Stuart
29-04-09, 06:36 PM
read braking article :)

jimbob-mcgrew
30-04-09, 12:20 AM
I wouldnt grind down brakes for competition use.

^ good point dan, i wasnt thinking competition, or about wheel strength, lol ignore my post

rallydak
30-04-09, 09:28 PM
and what about the rear what would you recommend?? would it be worth going for discs or should i just go for a bigger set of drums. ino there is no weight in the back of them and if heard stories of discs in the rear to haveto much braking power for the back.

Stuart
30-04-09, 09:35 PM
properly functioning rear drums in std form are fine.

you only "need" discs if you are doing lots of handbrake turn sheeeeenanigans

rallydak
01-05-09, 06:45 PM
and if i wear to put discs on the back what brakes would i use and what sort of problems would i encounter??

Stuart
01-05-09, 07:25 PM
lots of locking up unless you can source the rare pressure reducers etc.. those tilton adjustable efforts dont seem to do the job because their adjustable rate triggers far too high a pressure for a stripped nova.

plus the gheyness of fitting it all and it probably being heavier than just drums on their own etc.

rallydak
02-05-09, 04:56 PM
yea i understand you doesn really seem like much point doing it. what about just upgrading the drums to slightly wider ones of a combo van or something???

Stuart
02-05-09, 05:32 PM
no idea if they are bigger/wider... odds on they arent as vaux were pikey mofos when it came to 1990's development lol