PDA

View Full Version : new panels or weld old ones?

clemo
29-04-09, 12:13 AM
hi i was having a good look around my 1991 mk2 nova hatchback on a ramp the other day too see wether there is much welding work needed before i start my project, fortuanately there isnt too much just the usual round the rear arches however there were a couple of areas i am unsure of the first which is the most concerning is around the n/s/f suspension strut/turret, now its not the turret itself thats solid but where it joins the inner wing at the bottom its heavily corroded, would i be best taking off the wing and welding a plate from underneath the strut/turret?

the other thing which is slightly less concerning but still needs sorting is behind the rear bumper i noticed from in the boot that there was a slight hole along the seam where the boot floor is welded to the rear panel so i removed the bumper and found that the rear panel has gone in a few places, does anyone know of any where that sell rear panels or repair panels or am i best just making plates up? id rather do the job right if poss.

i have a few pics to upload will try to in next couple of days to help you see what i mean.

brainsnova
29-04-09, 12:32 AM
chop out rust and plate it or try this for panels plus you get a discount or something being a member http://bap.dominohosting.biz/members/bap/bapdb01.nsf/$$ViewTemplate%20for%20MakeModel!OpenForm&RestrictToCategory=VAUXHALL%20NOVA%20(4/83-3/93)

Pistol Pete
29-04-09, 10:22 AM
Plates FTW. If its only small areas. Thats what i did with my engine bay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Pete_58/Nova/novafrontpanel002006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Pete_58/Nova/novafrontpanel002007.jpg

craig green
29-04-09, 10:37 AM
It doesnt sound bad. I'd say plate it. The rear panel is hidden by the bumper so needent be replaced entirely. Too many people are using new panels as opposed to patching up.

clemo
29-04-09, 06:49 PM
yes pete thats where mine has gone right on the seams where you have welded its about a cm long and has gone to a hole, so have you just welded round the seam there or is it plated underneath was just thinking with it having a hole will it need to be ground back and re-plated or just build up the weld till the hole is covered

craig green
29-04-09, 06:53 PM
Plate it where possible obviously. Be sure to grind back & treat any welds/exposed bare metal to be minimise chances of the rot returning.

New panels are the best way to repair it, but they seem to be everyones choice partly because everyone has seen all the restrorations & builds with stacks of new panels, but it takes even more dedication to re-work what you already have. Anyone can add on new parts & admire them but how many people actually restore what they have?

Just my 10pence worth.

Pistol Pete
29-04-09, 07:12 PM
Just plated. Cut cardboard templtes first then metal tacked in and welded properly. New panels are all well and good, but getting increasingly hard to get hold of. Especially the parts you require (roadwheel housings). Once it is all tidied up primed and painted, who will know??!!

clemo
29-04-09, 08:02 PM
yeah will probably do that coz like i say the panel itself is good and strong just where the 2 pieces (chassis leg/inner wing and the strut itself are welded together