PDA

View Full Version : advice and general info on the 14 sri

hutton
23-01-03, 11:21 PM
hi
at the moment i own a 1.2 nova club, e reg, which im keeping standard and gonna get rid of in the summer coz i can afford to buy an sri now i have a steady evening job, i was wondering if it will cost the same to insure as a 1.3/1.4 sr as 2 of my mates had these and were paying 1800 quid tpft which im willing to pay
when i get it wot alloys would u advise on, i cant roll my arches or n e thing so id pop down 2 r tec to get it all sorted, i was looking at those kahn 5 spokes.
also just wanted an overview on wot the 1.4 sri is like e.g speed, reliabilty, interior

cheers in advance peeps

mikeoxford
23-01-03, 11:26 PM
maybe PM ollster?

he has a mint example 1400SRi

Will
23-01-03, 11:40 PM
SRI, ecu so shud be more reliable than SR

Speed its 82bhp so that shud be good enough for u, if not mod the engine

Interior same as mk2 SR allthough has gsi brakes etc i believe

Insurance wise 1.3 SR is group 5

1.4 SR / 1.4 SRI is group 7 so shud be simliar

How old are you ?1800? thats a lot but if ur 17/18 and 1st car u can expect that i guess.

Alloys: arch modding is easy i presume ur thinkng of the kahn 5 spoke 17 inchers? R-tec will roll ur arches but thats gona cost u ?s, do it urself its easy, if not sure then look thru technical posts its been asked many times.

Hope ive been of assistance, when u lower it 40 -60mm on the 17s can be done if modded right, perhaps think abt a 195/40/17 tyre on the front :)

Will

Dicko
24-01-03, 11:34 AM
its only group6 so it depends where u live etc but usualy pretty cheap.
just decat the bugger and fit a 'green' induction kit and ul gain 10+bhp :)

hutton
24-01-03, 12:25 PM
cheers for the replies peeps
yeah im only 17 and live in a very low crime zone(dont actually live in aylesbury)
i wish i could roll the arches my self but i aint got a clue when it comes to cars, id rather give r tec the money and let them do a good job of it, as long as its no more than 100 quid a corner. i wont de cat it coz i dont know how 2 and i'l have 2 put it back on every time for the m.o.t, unless ud really recommend me getting it done. im hoping to get a pipercross induction kit and a full system(no manifold) exhaust fitted to it aswell, just the problem is im only 17 so wouldnt declare my mods to the insurance company, would u recommend this?

mikeoxford
24-01-03, 01:41 PM
id rather give r tec the money and let them do a good job of it, as long as its no more than 100 quid a corner.

have you got more money than sense? ?400 for a job you could do in a couple of hours?

i wont de cat it coz i dont know how 2 and i'l have 2 put it back on every time for the m.o.t,

most novas dont require cat by law, depends on the year, only the VERY last ones

Dicko
24-01-03, 03:08 PM
its easy to decat you just fit a GTe exhaust (esxcluding manifold) and you dont need it for thre MOT

hutton
24-01-03, 03:29 PM
hmm could do, that be nice and cheap in all, would i be able to fit the gte centre section and have a magnex, mongoose etc.. backbox coz id still want a nice exhast note

jatinder
24-01-03, 03:43 PM
Hi ive got a 1992 sri it very reliable the cars done 123,000 miles on the orignal engine donesnt use any oil ive got a full mongoose system ( i think you should get a magnex though as i think thats better for a nova) with decat and k+n 57i kit. its quite a fast car and supprises quite a few people it good funkto drive. the seat are really comfertable too, my ones on of the late ones with the same engine as the corsa sri. by the way for a full k+n kit you only have to pay ?40. I get the suspension lowered and new dampers. also what size wheel are you goin to get try to sat between 15-16" if you still want fairly quick acceleration im going to get 16" coz there a good compromise. good luck

Dicko
24-01-03, 06:35 PM
u can get a gte downpipe/centre section then use a magnex backbox if u like ye

Manta Mad
24-01-03, 08:30 PM
just the problem is im only 17 so wouldnt declare my mods to the insurance company, would u recommend this?

Best to tell them about every modification that is visible (wouldn't bother about things like cam change or ECU chip as you can't see them). If you had an accident, they would send an assessor to check your car and with insurance companies, its any excuse not to pay out, then you will get done for not having insurance :(

I was changing my car last week and phoned the insurance company, before they used to ask if the car had any mods, now they ask if it has any mods to wheels, body, engine, supsension - leaves you with no excuse.

hutton
25-01-03, 12:48 AM
BY THE WAY ID NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE ITS COZ IM DRUNK
i was looking at a set of 17" kahn alloys but i heard that if you get vauxhall alloys it wont affect ur insurance so i was thinking of some gte/gsi(the 3 spoke 1s) alloys as there only 14's so i wont lose out on acceleration. same engine engine as a corsa sri eh? been in 1 of them, perfect first car and i can imagine the nova being a lot lighter aswell, does the sri have the same doors etc as a eraly 1.2 carb engine nova?