PDA

View Full Version : Not firing up

wilson_sri
28-04-09, 07:25 PM
Had a few bits off my engine recently, basically all wiring removed and the cylinder head was taken off. Put it back together last week, it started and ran perfect before it was stripped down. But now it wont even turn over. Suspected the battery at first, which was charged, still no luck. So it was replaced with a new battery. But again nothing.
Any opinions? All wiring has been double checked, everything looks fine.

Also all the lights on the dash come up fine when the ignition is switched on, but the fuel pump doesnt seeme to be priming?

craig green
28-04-09, 07:26 PM
Alarm/Immob?

burgo
28-04-09, 07:30 PM
you checked the usual suspect?? gearbox strap

AlexW
28-04-09, 07:30 PM
Does it click? Earths all good? was the starter removed?

Burgo beat me to it.

craig green
28-04-09, 07:43 PM
you checked the usual suspect?? gearbox strap

He has dash lights, I'd expect them all to go down without that strap.

[edit] this is the kinda thing that happens to me & I really wish I'd left well alone. If aint broke don't ruin it as the saying now goes! :(

wilson_sri
28-04-09, 07:43 PM
Alarm/Immob?
Thats in my head, but its working and seems fine when i disarm it off the fob.
All earths seem fine, checked them all a few times now.

Not hearing any clicking?

AlexW
28-04-09, 07:51 PM

[edit] this is the kinda thing that happens to me & I really wish I'd left well alone. If aint broke don't ruin it as the saying now goes! :(

Just for the future referance mine was fine with it not connected, all the lights worked it just wouldnt start lol

If there is no clicking when you turn the key then theres no power going to the starter?

Sounds like more than one problem, I know you say you checked the earths but were they nice and clean?

vxmechanic
28-04-09, 07:52 PM
run a multimeter between the fuel pump relay and the ecu from the wire that switched the earth from the ecu to relay and try turning it over and check you have a voltage going through or check at the fuel pump end, some ecu can play donky with the f/p relay switching earth try earthing the relay out and firing it up.

burgo
28-04-09, 08:07 PM

dash lights are earthed through the loom where as the engine loom is seperate and earths through the engine. have you checked for continuity between the engine and the battery

Southie
28-04-09, 08:13 PM
What was the engine taken apart for? Also is the timing all correct? The main issue though IMO would also have been an earth connection.