PDA

View Full Version : internet connection

ade
23-01-03, 06:34 PM
:evil: I hate 56k modems! :evil:
Can anyone help - for some reason, my internet connection (NTL) doesnt connect all the time. NTL time out after 2 hours so I need to reconnect, however when redialing, you can hear the modem click away, it dials the number and then just goes BEEP (pause) BEEP (pause). I need to cancel the connection and try again. usually on the 3rd attempt it connects - or it hangs and then crashes.

I have windows XP - its only just started to do it - was finr up to a few days ago. Weird thing is - it connects fine the 1st time - its like it just cant be bothered. I have another connection through a service I use when I build websites for people, and that connects fine. All settings seem to be ok

Help?

Ade
:?

Dan
23-01-03, 06:47 PM
freeserve is similar, all spring summer and autumn it runs spot on, no unwarned disconnections or hassle at all, come dec/jan time it starts to play up, same prob as you have from time to time, or it just disconnects for no reason before the 2 hr limit etc etc, but if i then use the penny a minute dial up no probs and runs 24/7. i think its just them being gay lol :lol:

Aragorn
23-01-03, 07:10 PM
next time it does it - pick up the phone

you'll prolly find your getting an engaged tone

the BEEP --- BEEP is your modems signal for another modem

no reply means the other end aint picked up

most providers get a bit bottlenecked at peak times - they simply run out of phonelines - get DSL or cable and your issues will vanish

frog_southampton
23-01-03, 07:40 PM
loads of people are changin 2 broadband seein as is ?15 a month....
so the ISP's are gettin rid of the modems 2 force ya on broadband?

Dan
23-01-03, 09:15 PM
ermmm well they cant be really doing that can they, broadband isnt nationwide etc etc. i think we will have by summer tho so i will be getting as far better than the cup and string shite modem setup

Fester
23-01-03, 10:10 PM
lol @ cups and string, smoke signals more like