PDA

View Full Version : revs - not the mag

ade
23-01-03, 05:40 PM
Been driving my wifes seat ibiza 1.4s this last week whilst my novas been getting a new engine fitted and noticed the rev counter a fair bit (summut my car doesnt have at the moment). Kept an eye on it when I changed gear and found most of the time between 2000 and 3000 revs. On me nova I just go by the sound of the engine.

Just out of curiosity, do you boys/girls with rev counters ever watch them before you change gear or do you go by engine noise and if you use the rev counter at what point do you change gear (eg ast 1000, 2nd 2000k 3rd 3ooo etc)

Ade
:roll:

Pan@SW-CC
23-01-03, 05:42 PM
hehe...she's bouncing off the limiter when I'm 'dabbling' but otherwise I usually listen to the revs b4 changing unless its cold when I go to 3000 and then change...

jatinder
23-01-03, 05:56 PM
somtimes i usauly change gear at about 2000rpm if im driving normally otherwise it all the way to 6200 yeah baby yeah!

Aragorn
23-01-03, 06:04 PM
hrm its kinda hard to say

if im driving slow then i dont give it a second glance - the speedo i keep me eye on

if im giving it a bit of a welly i normally take it to about 5k (top of the peak on the digidash) since thats the peak power point for the engine (45bhp at 5000rpm w00t!!)

very occasionally - ie hard cornering: if it hits 5k and i cant shift becuase of the situation, ie flat out round a corner not always the best idea to lift off and change gear - then ive seen it hit 6k

Ric 16v
23-01-03, 06:11 PM
I listen to the engine noise most of the time when I need to change gear but if I'v got the music on loud I use the revcounter on me digi dash sometimes listen to the engine and watch the rev counter at the same time

Anton
23-01-03, 06:12 PM
if i'm driving normally engine, if im cruising with my ice on - rev counter, if im giving it some welly - rev counter

Alex
23-01-03, 06:24 PM
with my ice on i can't hear the engine. I just go by the feel of the drive. Sounds very odd, but i just do it automatically :?

Austin_Nova16
23-01-03, 07:29 PM
I bought an omex rev limiter....so I just wait for that to kick in at 6900rpm........and by this time my rev counter is flashing (digi) which must mean thats well out anywayz

jim sri
23-01-03, 10:30 PM
well me new 2 lite 16v revs nicely, i do tend to go by the rev counter as opposed to engine noise though. 8)

locky
23-01-03, 10:36 PM
I hardly ever look at the rev counter, just no it doesnt work properly, i usually listen to the engine but
[quote]with my ice on i can't hear the engine. I just go by the feel of the drive
Thats wot i do aswel alex, i can just feel wot the car does!
also i no when to change gear by the speed im doin!
im not sure weather ne1 else does that!

dan16v
23-01-03, 10:45 PM
usualy the counter under 3000rpm till its warmed up then bout 6000rpm when im giving it abit of stick

?Marty?
23-01-03, 11:00 PM
I use all three. Rev counter, feel of the drive and sound.

Will
24-01-03, 12:00 AM
rev counter all the time.

change at 5k each time which sets it at 4k in new gear, cam likes it :)

mikeoxford
24-01-03, 12:08 AM
rev counter all the time.

change at 5k each time which sets it at 4k in new gear, cam likes it :)

nutter m8 what cam is that? i need to work that kinda thing out for when my engine is sorted.

i change by feel as well - its straneg i know hard to explain, just second nature, half the time u do it without thinking

Dicko
24-01-03, 12:17 AM
when the engine is real cold i keep revs between 2-3k to keep the oil pressure up but to keep revs low as poss.
i usualy only look at the rev counter when im messing about geting some bigup induction noise out my 16v hehehehehh. or i keep an eye when im gonna overtake or racing somebody. i couldnt live without 1 now :lol:

mikeoxford
24-01-03, 12:31 AM
when the engine is real cold i keep revs between 2-3k to keep the oil pressure up but to keep revs low as poss.
i usualy only look at the rev counter when im messing about geting some bigup induction noise out my 16v hehehehehh. or i keep an eye when im gonna overtake or racing somebody. i couldnt live without 1 now :lol:

agree with dicko totally there

(hes a clever chappy you know! not bad at UT 2003 either ;))