PDA

View Full Version : petrol tanks??????

wannabegsi
23-01-03, 05:34 PM
i need a petrol take 4 my GTE will any other nova tank fit or does it have to be of a GTE ????????
thanks lads

Pan@SW-CC
23-01-03, 05:48 PM
you have to get the 1.6i tank coz that has the proper swirlpot and sender etc...When I did my 1.3 --> 1.6i conversion I first tried a 1.4i tank. It had an internal pump which basically wasnt up to sending the right amount of fuel to the engine :oops: so I sourced a proper GTE/GSi pump to add to that, which still didnt work that well, but better. Eventually opted for the proper GTE/GSi tank which improved things big time :roll:

wannabegsi
23-01-03, 05:50 PM
how much r they roughly?????

Pan@SW-CC
23-01-03, 05:55 PM
I paid ?30 from an overpriced scrappy :x ...probably get one in your freeads (yellow) type of paper... from a breaking GTE or GSi...both are the same...make sure the sender is still in, coz you dont know how long the tank will have been standing there...

...there may be a family of spiders living in the dust inside :D

jatinder
23-01-03, 05:58 PM
change the sender if its not been changed save you time in the long run

wannabegsi
23-01-03, 06:01 PM
ok thanks lads u got any idea how much senders r 4 them ???

Pan@SW-CC
23-01-03, 06:05 PM
if you want to change the sender also change the small rubber seal that fits between the sender and the tank :wink:

...soz I meant to say change the sender while the tank is off the car...I meant make sure the original was still on the one you get to be certain that no dirt has go in it.

Also you could de-rust/prime/underseal it b4 sticking it back on the car...like I did 8)

jim sri
23-01-03, 10:43 PM
im still running a sr tank with my 2 litre conversion-not for much longer though. its fine if kept above 6/7 bars on digidash, and if cornering really hard when petrol little low it can sometimes cause probs.vpsc at walton wanted ?60 for a gte/gsi tank!!!that is overpriced! :o

locky
23-01-03, 10:48 PM
whilst wer on the subject of tanks, did ne1 notice a small plastic ball on the filler port? dickhead here pushed it in on accident, i think its just to stop fuel goin upt he filler neck would it cause me ne probs? i dont think it will!

Pan@SW-CC
23-01-03, 10:51 PM
come to think about it I had a little ball just banging around inside the tank...I could not work out what possibly use it could have??

It wasnt the one on the end of the sender float either coz that has a groove in it. :?

Any ideas??

locky
23-01-03, 11:14 PM
Do the tanks have magnets inside them to cling onto any swarf? that might have come loose, a bit of an impossibilty tho!

Fester
23-01-03, 11:15 PM
SRI multipoint or GTE/GSI tank

i have 'had' to research this lol

Pan@SW-CC
23-01-03, 11:17 PM
The GTE/GSi one...the ball is more like a ping-pong ball no magnets in it though :lol:

Dun matter anyhoo...car runs well

neiloakley
24-01-03, 03:33 PM
the ball sits just inside the tank where the filler pipe attaches. It is meant to stop petrol flowing up the filler pipe during left hand corners. As long as ther area around your petrol cap isn't rusted to fuck then it hsouldn't leak anyway!!!

Anyone got a GTE tank for sale? I have an SR one on my 2.0 and when less that a quater tank, i can rag it round corners but then have a lag of about 3-4 seconds where there is air in the fuel lines.

Pan@SW-CC
24-01-03, 04:31 PM
you'll need a/the leccy fuel pump too...to get the juice flowing right...unless your running carbs?

Also...those alloy filler caps...if when you fit one, the body of the cap is touching the body of the car, you'll get fuel leaking out...coz the rubber grommet at the back of the cap lets the air in :oops: I had left one screw out of the filler neak that screws onto the shell...oops!

Manta Mad
24-01-03, 08:59 PM
The top of the tank in my Nova had rusted away to nothing so had to get a new one (1.4 SPi but possibly not much difference in price between models) Vauxhall wanted ?180 :roll: but phoning round a few motor factors, I got a brand new well made tank for ?63 - bargain.

Fester
26-01-03, 01:50 PM
ive managed to get a brand new GTE tank for the same price, was about to head off to the breakers for a ?20 tank but im keeping the car hopefully for quite some time, so it makes sense. Mines wrecked on the top as well, fine below half a tank.

neiloakley
27-01-03, 09:25 AM
nah i got tha cavalier fuel pump and filter. Have plenty of pressure but just get air locks in the line.

Manta Mad
27-01-03, 09:53 AM
Yes, fine below half a tank but got a bit fed up having to put ?10 worth of fuel in every 2-3 days. Its great being able to fill the tank right up now - and now constant smell of petrol in the car :D

Pan@SW-CC
27-01-03, 05:41 PM
nah i got tha cavalier fuel pump and filter. Have plenty of pressure but just get air locks in the line.

your running carbs though are you? If so then the mechanical pump on the 1.6 engine (from a cav) will do the job nicely...the injection engines really should have the leccy pump and a GTE/GSi tank...the GTE/GSi one has a swirl pot inside so there's always fuel ready to be sucked out...so no air locks etc :wink: